Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    rank sentamentalist

Default Re: Just Started "The Wire"....

Quote Originally Posted by funkylikemonkey
    Season 4 is definitely the best.
    +1

Haha, bagelred has such a twisted sense of humor.

Fire Dwane Casey

I just started watching the wire a couple weeks ago. I'm on S3 E6 and all I gotta say is

such an overrated show

Made that high school varsity squad LA Lakers's Avatar

The Wire is the greatest television show of all time in my humble opinion.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

i've just started the wire and i am struggling. it is alright and i'm only up to episode 4 but i'm just not getting it yet? is this a bad sign? i want to like it but the pacing so far seems pretty slow and the characters haven't really been introduced that well.

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    i've just started the wire and i am struggling. it is alright and i'm only up to episode 4 but i'm just not getting it yet? is this a bad sign? i want to like it but the pacing so far seems pretty slow and the characters haven't really been introduced that well.
    there's a lot of smaller things happening. it's honestly one of those shows that you have to pay attention to because it will reveal itself slowly. there's so many lines that are either repeated in a different way later or end up being pivotal when you just never think much of it. is the script and acting at least keeping you interested? because it gets better...

they introduce a lot of characters at first but they really only glance over them and are only really hitting the tip of the iceberg. the pacing may be slow to you but if anything, it took me a bit of time to catch up on the lingo. once you see the greater scheme of things, the pacing will pick up real fast.

just a primer so far. lots of build up. most of the main characters are dynamic and grow or regress in one way or another.

if you're expecting an action packed, bang 'em up cop thriller...this ain't it. i guess that's a legit criticism you can have of the show. while it did have a few action scenes, they were few and far between. that's just not what this show is about.

so far all you've seen is bunk and mcnulty being 'beat cops' at the moment but you also have gotten a peak at barksdale and his crew. you've seen some of the street level re-up stuff and the surveillance. oh and you were just introduced to the one omar little. trust me when i say this...he will not be forgotten. the rest of the cast gets fleshed out as time goes on.

so ya, keep watching. i don't think i became semi-hooked until the end of season 1. by season 2, i was saying 'damn, this is a really good show'. season 2 is pretty underrated btw. by season 3, i said, 'well, this is probably going to end up being one of my favorite series' ever'. then season 4 came around, tied that shit up real nice and solidified that thought. the low points in this series still ended up being really good imo.
    Last edited by blacknapalm; 10-17-2012 at 06:38 AM.

I've seen many people say that they didn't really become invested in the story many episodes into the first season, but I never got that. The quality of the first couple of episodes isn't lower than the rest of the show, and there is already a lot of significant stuff going on.

It's like a novel in that respect. Of course you go further down the rabbit hole as you go along, but a quarter into the story you'll know whether you like it or not.

season 1 was my favorite

just throws you into the middle of all that grit

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blacknapalm
    so ya, keep watching. i don't think i became semi-hooked until the end of season 1. by season 2, i was saying 'damn, this is a really good show'. season 2 is pretty underrated btw. by season 3, i said, 'well, this is probably going to end up being one of my favorite series' ever'. then season 4 came around, tied that shit up real nice and solidified that thought. the low points in this series still ended up being really good imo.
    i was getting into it by the end of season 1, but season 2 has taken a massive step back. i'm up to ep 9 now and it is finally starting to move along, the problem i had with it is that they broke everything up and spent the first 5 or 6 episodes putting everyone back together again (it makes sense logically but it was just tedious at times). but i honestly don't care about these dockyard workers. lamest criminal organization ever lol. but i'm pushing on, i keep hearing good things about season 3 and 4.

NBA rookie of the year

I just binged watched the show to the end of season 4.

Amazing show.

I am surprised this show isnt more controversial. It has some of the most negative depictions of black people I have ever seen.

Especially season 4. The kids and their parents

Michael's mom and namond's mom.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan

Amazing show.

I am surprised this show isnt more controversial. It has some of the most negative depictions of black people I have ever seen.

It has quite a wide range of depictions, that's how life is in the ghetto for crack addicts it's not a lie.

Are you not able to distinguish between the black people who are junkies and the black people who are cops?

You could argue that it took black lives more seriously than almost ever show that was ever on TV.

Did you not sympathize with the black kids who were born to parents like that?

Even the junkies and drug dealers were not one dimensional.

Amazing show.

That;s how it is. Because of their situation, not because they're black. They're black in a drug epidemic or part of the criminals around it. It's not the cosby show.

3-time NBA All-Star

Amazing show.

Kinda surprised you think like this. Its just realistic, and they don't act like everyone is like Michael's mom or Namond's mom. But those people do exist. And its the inner city where drug dealers dominate and drug addicts are running wild. Of course the depictions are going to be negative. But with that being said, you still see that there are still a lot of redeeming qualities of these people but unfortunately they were just born into the wrong situation.