Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Decent college freshman TheGame414's Avatar

Default Re: Can Someone Explain to me the Enes Kanter Situation?

Quote Originally Posted by parkespapa
    As an Illini fan, you should definately have much more hatred for Pearl than Calipari. Tell me why.
    Speaking for myself, of course. I don't even hate Calipari. He's a scumbag, but I don't hate him for getting Derrick Rose. (Especially since, as a Bulls fan, the 10+ years I'll get to watch him in Chicago outweighs the one year he'd have been an Illini.) If Calipari didn't buy him, some other crooked program would have. That's how it works with elite CPL recruits most of the time and it's why Illinois backed out of the Anthony Davis recruitment.

NBA rookie of the year IlliniFan's Avatar

As an Illini fan, you should definately have much more hatred for Pearl than Calipari. Tell me why.
    Is this supposed to be a test? You really think I don't know about the whole thing when he worked at Iowa with Deon Thomas?

I should probably hate Pearl more, but that whole incident was before my time. While I dislike the guy, I don't have the same level of hate for him as a lot of other Illini fans do.

Decent college freshman TheGame414's Avatar

Digger Phelps and Bob Knight's role in the whole Deon incident gets underplayed. Illinois was really close to becoming college basketball's next superpower and they were scared of it.

I rule the local playground ukfan22's Avatar

It's always fun reading the Illinois rationale for Bruce Weber being a shitty recruiter. I remember it well from the Tubby days.

Quote Originally Posted by ukfan22
    It's always fun reading the Illinois rationale for Bruce Weber being a shitty recruiter. I remember it well from the Tubby days.
    I don't see how you made the connection between that tired argument (which hasn't been relevant for a couple years now by the way) and anything that was said in this thread. If Cal was pulling the same type of recruits at Louisville, UK fans would be vilifying him and calling him a cheater as well. It's really funny how UK fans are so in denial about such an obvious truth. Enjoy your future vacated final 4.

Learning to shoot layups parkespapa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniFan
    I don't see how you made the connection between that tired argument (which hasn't been relevant for a couple years now by the way) and anything that was said in this thread. If Cal was pulling the same type of recruits at Louisville, UK fans would be vilifying him and calling him a cheater as well. It's really funny how UK fans are so in denial about such an obvious truth. Enjoy your future vacated final 4.
    Everyone calls him a cheater for the same reasons everyone called Tarkanian a cheater. He's gets very skilled players, and for the most part gets them to realize their full potential. Sometimes those players come from difficult situations, but he gets them into college, and college is lots better than jail. Guys that have played for him and coached with him have been very successful.

The basketball program at the University of Memphis is as good as it's ever been, and we're happy that he left the program in capable hands.

I guess when the glory days for your program is second place all you can do is resort to insults and hyperbole.

Everyone calls him a cheater for the same reasons everyone called Tarkanian a cheater. He's gets very skilled players, and for the most part gets them to realize their full potential. Sometimes those players come from difficult situations, but he gets them into college, and college is lots better than jail. Guys that have played for him and coached with him have been very successful.
    He gets lottery picks out of high school and turns them into....lottery picks a year later. Impressive.

He gets lottery picks out of high school and turns them into....lottery picks a year later. Impressive.
    It wasn't so much about the lottery picks he turns into lottery picks as it was him turning guys that had no future into guys with good jobs out of college, or turning assistant coaches into head coaches. He also did a lot of good things for the city of Memphis that people outside of this region will never know about or see.

His perception outside of his program has never been something that he ever really cared about. The people that he's touched know the real story, and the rest he couldn't care less about, and to be truthful, nor could I.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

enters thread...

sees the incredible number of sore butts......

walks away whistling.....

Man all the Illinois fans here have quite the inferiority complex. No one at UK was saying jack shit about Cal when he was at Memphis doing the same thing.

I rule the local playground RobertSwift31's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ukfan22
    Those are not recruiting violations, neither case has anything to do with recruiting. Camby and Rose made poor decisions (although nothing has been proven in the Rose case) that led to them being ruled retroactively ineligible. The NCAA ruled in both cases that Calipari was not involved, in fact it was Cal himself who turned in Camby. It's unfortunate those seasons were wiped away (especially the Memphis one), but there is simply NO evidence to suggest he was invovled.

Corey Maggette admitted under oath that he received cash payments in high school. He was a member of Duke's 1999 Final Four team. The great and shining Coach K should have a vacated Final Four on his record. Is K dirty?
    As a Kentucky fan, the best attitude to have would be "**** it, I'm having fun watching the team now, who cares if he gets caught down the road" That way, you won't be let down when it happens. Trying to defend the dude is pointless.

I rule the local playground ukfan22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobertSwift31
    As a Kentucky fan, the best attitude to have would be "**** it, I'm having fun watching the team now, who cares if he gets caught down the road" That way, you won't be let down when it happens. Trying to defend the dude is pointless.
    How about I take the attitude that haters like yourself can continue to hope against hope that something will happen, and I'll stay in the non-hypothetical world.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertSwift31
    Those are the same things people said about him when he recruited DeJuan Wagner after he first came to Memphis. All the hoopla was about him giving Milt Wagner a job to get him. Nothing but good came of it for the Memphis basketball program. We won the Nit, we started to get more good players, gained an incredible amount of national exposure for a school our size, and most certainly have a program that is much healthier than it was 10 yrs ago. And, Milt is still in coaching at Auburn with Tony Barbee. Maybe "who cares if he gets caught down the road" ain't so bad after all.