Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Kyrie's take on Bill Simmons.

Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one6
    Playing the game and having experience there while also having experience in studying and coaching gives you the full amount of "expert" analysis in my opinion. There are just certain things that you look for when you've played with the best as well as watched the best. When I watch basketball I can actually tell who is good and who is just athletic because I've watched for a while and I've played bball (not elite level, admittedly.)

This is what I was trying to say, lol

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    Alphapup's agenda is disgustingly obvious
    Give it a rest already
    Im curious to know what you think his agenda is.

Quote Originally Posted by Levity
    Im curious to know what you think his agenda is.
    Look, Pup is usually a funny guy and knows his shit more than he lets on at times, but he's still a Kobe troll. And his agenda here is acting like only former players know anything because a lot of former players have said things he clutches onto as "proof" that Kobe is one of, if not the GOAT. He wants to act like everyone on ISH couldn't possibly know anything about the NBA because people on ISH don't play professional ball, for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    I made a bad comparison, but you went off on a tangent determined not to get my point.

In sports, high level athletes respect those THAT HAVE DONE IT. It holds true in every sport. And it is logical. Great players want to be coached by former great players, not egg heads.

I got your point.....and I didn't mean to be seen as "going off on tangent"...

You made a great point....I was just trying to reemphasize ( spelling sucks)...that even with van Gundy's all world basketball knowledge forged in a Lifetime of playing/coaching upbringing.....he still gets slighted. ( for the things you mentioned)

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Look, Pup is usually a funny guy and knows his shit more than he lets on at times, but he's still a Kobe troll. And his agenda here is acting like only former players know anything because a lot of former players have said things he clutches onto as "proof" that Kobe is one of, if not the GOAT. He wants to act like everyone on ISH couldn't possibly know anything about the NBA because people on ISH don't play professional ball, for the most part.
    You should consider trying out for the NBA, cause you sure do have a long reach....

NBA Superstar

I made a bad comparison, but you went off on a tangent determined not to get my point.

In sports, high level athletes respect those THAT HAVE DONE IT. It holds true in every sport. And it is logical. Great players want to be coached by former great players, not egg heads.
    I think more than anything, players just want to be coached by people who know what they're doing, whether that stems from an extensive playing history or not. I've had some great coaches who were themselves also great players. Conversely, I've seen some great players also become terrible coaches. On the flip side, I've been coached by guys who were never as good at the game as I am, but I still respected their words because it was clear they knew what they were talking about.

All that said, I think a coach being a formerly great player makes it much easier to access all of your players, but it's not a necessity, even on the NBA level. I think it's just less common for people to randomly decide to take up coaching (especially at a professional level) if they didn't have some sort of passion for a large portion of their life that led them to playing the game at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Levity
    You should consider trying out for the NBA, cause you sure do have a long reach....
    C'mon son

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I think more than anything, players just want to be coached by people who know what they're doing, whether that stems from an extensive playing history or not. I've had some great coaches who were themselves also great players. Conversely, I've seen some great players also become terrible coaches. On the flip side, I've been coached by guys who were never as good at the game as I am, but I still respected their words because it was clear they knew what they were talking about.

All that said, I think a coach being a formerly great player makes it much easier to access all of your players, but it's not a necessity, even on the NBA level. I think it's just less common for people to randomly decide to take up coaching (especially at a professional level) if they didn't have some sort of passion for a large portion of their life that led them to playing the game at some point.

Evidence points to pro players being more found of coaches with playing experience. ESPECIALLY FOOTBALL. In basketball too though it's hard to communicate with someone that hasn't done what they are telling you to do.

It makes you more effective and makes your words hold more weight.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn
    Pick up basketball at the YMCA doesn't really count.
    besides, based on his podcast references, simmons is a ymca baller as well

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    I got your point.....and I didn't mean to be seen as "going off on tangent"...

You made a great point....I was just trying to reemphasize ( spelling sucks)...that even with van Gundy's all world basketball knowledge forged in a Lifetime of playing/coaching upbringing.....he still gets slighted. ( for the things you mentioned)

It comes with the territory. When you coach the same players for a goodly number of years you develop a bond. It's human nature to think, "damn Van Gundy is riding me for my conditioning when he's a slob."

I'd have more respect for Jim Harbaugh than Andy Reid (Who can't control his eating urges or his kids)....just an example. Coaching has a lot to do with life and when your life isn't right you can't be a highly effective coach and leader.

- because I responded to 1 Kobe Bashing thread about FG%!!!....that's why you are so Buthurt?

- I was responding to Bill Simmons....who is acting like he knows more about Basketball then Magic F'ing Johnson....

- If me explaining why a guy who barely ever played basketball shouldn't be taken seriously vs "real Players"...makes you insecure.....then I totally understand.....

- You and Bill are 1 in the same......2 guy's with no understanding of basketball....just bashing other players to get points.

tired and silly........seriously...log off and get some sun you pale bastard.
    Last edited by AlphaWolf24; 11-15-2012 at 04:05 PM.

Evidence points to pro players being more found of coaches with playing experience. ESPECIALLY FOOTBALL. In basketball too though it's hard to communicate with someone that hasn't done what they are telling you to do.

It makes you more effective and makes your words hold more weight.
    Sure, but there are still plenty of good basketball coaches who haven't played professionally themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    Sure, but there are still plenty of good basketball coaches who haven't played professionally themselves.

True....but I'm pretty sure they all Played basketball at many levels and were around coaching most of thier lives.

Quote Originally Posted by kurt_rambis
    doesn't have anything to do with anything, but it's funny that kyrie has a link to his twitter page on his twitter page

Hahaha great find.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster

Sure, and when there is anything to scrutinize, an NBA player will point out that they do not have NBA experience. It is what it is.

Lawrence Frank and Tom Thibs have a harder road than most NBA coaches and it should be like that because they need to pay dues.