Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease MochaUdoka's Avatar

Default What should the Timberwolves do with the #3 Pick?

Minnesota has a lot of interesting young prospects on their roster already, highlighted by Al Jefferson. What do they do with the #3 pick this year?

Espn mock draft has them picking Brook Lopez @ #3. Is this the low-post partner for Al Jeff? I had thought Lopez would be a waste at such an early pick, but if Jefferson and Lopez gel that could be a formidable front-line duo.

Thoughts on the Wolves other options?

Banned

Default Re: What should the Timberwolves do with the #3 Pick?

Quote Originally Posted by MochaUdoka
    Minnesota has a lot of interesting young prospects on their roster already, highlighted by Al Jefferson. What do they do with the #3 pick this year?

Espn mock draft has them picking Brook Lopez @ #3. Is this the low-post partner for Al Jeff? I had thought Lopez would be a waste at such an early pick, but if Jefferson and Lopez gel that could be a formidable front-line duo.

Thoughts on the Wolves other options?
    they should pick OJ Mayo, he's worth the gamble, he can sell tickets than freakin Jlo or Blo.

Brook Lopez at 3 is way too high imho. He'll be lottery a pick, but that's too high. He's pretty soft, and don't really see him being all-star caliber, though he could have a solid NBA career.

That being said, outside of Rose and Beasley, there isn't a lot of surefire studs in this draft, so who am I say Lopez wouldn't be a good fit in Minnesota. Like you said, Lopez, and Jefferson could be a formidable front line for years to come.

I wouldn't shock me see them a draft a PG (Bayless?). I'm not sure if Foye will ever be the guy they thought he was going to be. He's yet to be healthy for any of his first two seasons, and that's a concern.
    Last edited by Kujo; 05-20-2008 at 11:44 PM.

Decent college freshman

Trade down and try go get Mayo and Lopez ideally.

It's virtually impossible unless they deal some future Celtics picks they are owed down the road.

They could offer #3 + future first and a couple young players and try to move up maybe?

NBA rookie of the year

Ehhh they really need a center but I don't think there are any centers good enough at 3.

Brook Lopez is soft, unathletic and will get pushed around in the NBA.

DeAndre Jordan has zero offensive skill right now and his potential is based on athleticism.

So I think instead of getting a center they should get the best player available by drafting Mayo or Bayless.

Good college starter Valliant13's Avatar

Lopez at #3 is a bit high, but he's the best fit regardless. It's better taking a position you need a tad to high, than drafting redundant one having a back log at the position. The last thing they need is another combo guard, and Bayless and Gordon are not such a huge improvement that it's worth passing up a legit (if unspectacular) center that can guard the post and rebound...and can play out from the post enough on offense to let Jefferson work his normal game.

Loserville USA FireMcFailPlease's Avatar

I guess Im confused where Brook Lopez suddenly became an outside threat like Mayo is and will become to stretch the defense from collapsing on Big Al.

The pick should be Mayo hands down.

Good perimeter D, silky smooth shot, can create his own shot. Can take PG duties off of Foye and vice versa. Its a no brainer. Picking Brook Lopez is a disaster

Mayo. He should have a fantastic rookie season if Minnie did infact draft him. Like previously stated, with the attention Al Jeff draws he should flourish.
    Last edited by ChiBulls7; 05-21-2008 at 12:49 AM.

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

Derrick Rose, Eric Gordon or Michael Beasley... whichever remains till the #3... you cant go wrong with the favourites...

Loserville USA FireMcFailPlease's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wally_world
    Derrick Rose, Eric Gordon or Michael Beasley... whichever remains till the #3... you cant go wrong with the favourites...
    Eric Gordan? Yuck

Decent playground baller

ya bayless and mayo go before gordan for sure

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease MochaUdoka's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FireMcFailPlease
    I guess Im confused where Brook Lopez suddenly became an outside threat like Mayo is and will become to stretch the defense from collapsing on Big Al.

The pick should be Mayo hands down.

Good perimeter D, silky smooth shot, can create his own shot. Can take PG duties off of Foye and vice versa. Its a no brainer. Picking Brook Lopez is a disaster
    Yes I have been impressed by Mayo from what I've seen, I think he should flourish in the NBA. I'm just not completely sure how they would develop him in the backcourt with Foye longterm.

The 3rd pick is just so interesting because Rose and Beasley are pretty much locked up in the first 2 picks. There are many other good prospects and Minnesota has first pick of 'em. I don't really think they should use it on Lopez; Mayo sounds like a solid choice. Bayless looks good too if that's what they want.

I rule the local playground

i believe brook lopez is underrated by many and is the sure pick- i recorded & watched all pac 10 teams games, and am a big fan of mayo bayless and lopez- but i really feel that lopez is the best playerof the 3- &to me he would be a perfect match to jefferson if that helps at all

imo minnisota cant make a bad pick as any of the 3 should be very good players-

Either Mayo or Lopez. Jerryd Bayless is also a great prospect, but probably wouldn't fit with Foye and McCants there.

Mayo is a great talent and probably Minnesota's best bet. Mayo would be asked to form the backourt alongside Foye. However, as Foye, Mayo has a scorer's mentality, and I'm rather suspicious as his abilities as a full time ball distributor. On defense, I could see Mayo and Foye being succesful, but what I'm unsure is how well could Minny work with both of their guards being more concerned (and succesfull) at scoring. Who would distribute the ball then? Added to that, Mayo and Foye are similarly turnover prone and both often display poor shot selection.

On the other hand, there's Lopez who would probably complement Big Al very well. His defense, timing, and fundamentals could couple great with Al. However, Lopez is just too high for a #3 pick. Brook will probably be good, but is unlikely to be great. Minny could trade down to justify drafting him, but with the Grizz at #5 they risk Lopez being taken if they trade down more than one spot.

Bottomline, despite all my concerns in my opinion Mayo is the best bet for Minny.

I just don't like Mayo.

anyone who makes oj mayo their starting franchise point guard is making a huge mistake.

it makes you wonder, when GM's select guys like Carmelo ANthony and OJ Mayo, if they even watch the NBA Finals, or have any idea who is winning them?

Look at the rosters of teams like the Spurs, Lakers, Heat, and Pistons when they won their titles. It's nearly unanimously high bball IQ's, responsible, mature adults, and hard working, team-oriented players.

it's not allen iverson wearing a doo-rag to a press conference and blowing off practice, it's not carmelo anthony smiling and walking back on defense when his team is down 24 points in the playoffs. it's not zach randolph getting into fights with teammates on the sidelines and then hogging the ball when he gets in the game. oj mayo may not be a punk to the extent of those guys, altho he does have some character questions, but anyone who plays point guard and looks to score first and jack up shots, immediately in my book is a dud and i would keep them off my team. it shows a lack of basketball IQ and team-mentality.

i mean, i honestly dont understand how GM's STILL arent getting the picture? why do they keep drafting guys who clearly have low-bball IQ and almost no professionalism and maturity to speak of. those guys DO NOT WIN.

its seriously baffling