Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Default Re: 76ers Biggest Threat To Land Brand

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Dallas? Blah
    Suns? Blah

Portland? Overrated (they will challewnge 7-8 seed more than 5-6 seed)

And yes when i made my comment it was moreso factoring in they would be healthy enough to do it. To me that is the biggest key. B.Davis and E.Brand health. If they can remain healthy for a significant portion of the season while producing their all star caliber stats? I can see it. Bench doesnt thrill me much, but neither did the Celtics before they played 1gm. And by season end it was a positive for Boston.

So yeah when i said that about LAC I am saying it with the notion they will be healthy enough to achieve it. I mean the race in the West was tight like gnat booty. I see it happening again only with Portland/LAC being in it whereas GSW out (barring thier future movements).

Brand has a better chance getting further in the playoffs with the Sixers potentially than LAC (just based on the West conf parity). But even still imo I dont see them struggling or fighting hard to make the playoffs. Then again as i type that? The race in West was so close a team like Dallas could have missed it if they went on a 3gm skid. So eh
    LAC lineup of

Baron Davis
    Eric Gordon (undersized rookie, if they start Mobley he's undersized and old)
    Al Thornton (was a stud last year, but still a 2nd year player)
    Brand
    Kaman

I still don't see that lineup being better than Dallas (Kidd,Terry, Howard, Nowitzki, Dampier/Diop) and Phoenix (Nash, Bell/Barbosa, Diaw, Stoudemire, Shaq)
    Both these teams have new coaches though too, not sure how that turns out. But Dunleavy hasn't had much success in a long time. They were still 55 and 51 win teams last year. No way I see LAC jumping about 30 wins just because they added Davis/ subtracted Maggette.

Quote Originally Posted by Interminator
    You can't underrate the luxury of having 2 All-Star caliber big men in the front court in Brand & Kaman.

If Al Thornton can not go through a sophmore slump and contribute at the 3 this team could definetly be as high as a 2nd seed in the West.

The Western Conference is an open battle between 2-8,Lakers will be the #1 seed with everyone else like last season playing their ass off to not possibly fall out of the Playoff Race.
    You really see them jumping 30 wins with bringing Brand back. They added Baron/subtracted Maggette. 30 wins is just too much of a jump

I think people might be overrating Kaman a tad too. He showed up last year (15.7/12.7 is nuts!) but his best season playing alongside Brand was 10/8. Seems to me like his numbers were boosted by him being the only real big man in the lineup?

Local High School Star sixerfan3511's Avatar

Yeah i mean the Clippers could be the 5th or 6th seed, but even if so they won't be a true contender IMO. In Philly, his worst case scenario would be his best in LA. He could be anywhere as 3 IMO in the East, maybe 2, but at worst 6th.

somebody smart tell me how much they can offer brand

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Posterize246
    I think people might be overrating Kaman a tad too. He showed up last year (15.7/12.7 is nuts!) but his best season playing alongside Brand was 10/8. Seems to me like his numbers were boosted by him being the only real big man in the lineup?
    With a PG who can actually pass the ball he should be good next season.

Brand & Kaman will have to co-exist but Kaman will get more touches this time around playing with Brand.

Local High School Star sixerfan3511's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by baseketball4life
    at least 14...up to 15.5 million starting salary

a contract starting at 15 mil in the first year--acording to Mark Stein

kk

Banned

Damn Brand is going to be extremely overpaid by the end of his contract.

Is there anyone who thinks Philly is going to win a Championship in the next 5 years?

I know you cant predict these things but does anyone have the gut feeling that they can win or reach a Championship game in the next 5 years?

Who knows. Right now Sixers have $11-$11.5mil plus $2.8mil. So close if not $14mil. But thats based on what people project the NBA salary cap to be. Today is when the NBA announces the salary cap number. So the Sixers could either have more cap room or less. Really no set in stone figure. Just guessing.

The first person to figure it out is the person who knows the actual salary cap number set.

Sixers are patiently waiting for that number.

I agree with GOBB, if Brand goes to LA they are in the playoffs.

They would have a top 5 PG, a top 5 PF, a top 10 center, last year's 3rd best rookie (Thorton) and a top talent from this year's draft in Gordon. They also have some good role players in Knight, Mobley and T.Thomas. I don't see why this team wouldn't be one of the best in the West other than health concerns with Baron and Elton, and perhaps the time needed to generate chemistry.

B.Davis / Knight / Livingston?
    Gordon / Mobley / Ross?
    Thorton / T.Thomas
    Brand / Powell / Fazekus?
    Kaman / D.Jordan

If they tried packaging Mobley and Thomas along with Gordon, Thorton or picks for another star at SG/SF (VC), then you have a contender.

I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Interminator
    Damn Brand is going to be extremely overpaid by the end of his contract.

Is there anyone who thinks Philly is going to win a Championship in the next 5 years?

I know you cant predict these things but does anyone have the gut feeling that they can win or reach a Championship game in the next 5 years?
    Brand gives us a chance. I say we reach the ECF in 2 years. Gotta make sure we keep Iggy/Lou. Pistons/Celtics will be fading out in those 2 years. Orlando/Philly/Atlanta should be towards the top of the standings.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckOakley
    I agree with GOBB, if Brand goes to LA they are in the playoffs.

They would have a top 5 PG, a top 5 PF, a top 10 center, last year's 3rd best rookie (Thorton) and a top talent from this year's draft in Gordon. They also have some good role players in Knight, Mobley and T.Thomas. I don't see why this team wouldn't be one of the best in the West other than health concerns with Baron and Elton, and perhaps the time needed to generate chemistry.

B.Davis / Knight / Livingston?
    Gordon / Mobley / Ross?
    Thorton / T.Thomas
    Brand / Powell / Fazekus?
    Kaman / D.Jordan

If they tried packaging Mobley and Thomas along with Gordon, Thorton or picks for another star at SG/SF (VC), then you have a contender.
    they will be pretty damn good, but still 9 teams could arguably be better or end up better

1. LA
    2. NOK
    3. SAS
    4. DAL
    5. PHX
    6. Utah
    7. Houston
    8. Denver
    9. Portland

the top 7 on that list i think will almost certainly be better than LAC... Denver/Portland i dont think so but if Oden really blows up year one who knows..