Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Dave Chappelle -vs- Eddie Griffin: Who U Got?

Quote Originally Posted by red1
    cmon. who isnt going to say chappelle
    Exactly, brainwashed.

Killing them softly was the greatest standup show ever. When you mix comedy with cold hard truth that everyone knows deep down, you get something special.

Shoulda compared Patrice O'Neal to Chapelle, they are much closer than Griffin/Chapelle.

Griffin has done more but Chappelle made me chuckle more, i rate all his specials 8-9 of 10. I can do that only for one Eddie Griffin special and that is Voodoo Child.

Man what a shame... Chappelle was so gifted, reminded me alot of Richard Pryor.
    Last edited by pauk; 04-14-2013 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Griffin has done more but Chappelle made me chuckle more, i rate all his specials 8-9 of 10. I can do that only for one Eddie Griffin special and that is Voodoo Child.
    So if Chappelle has, let's say two 8's and one 9.

And Griffin has one 9 and a bunch of 7's, wouldn't you give that to Griffin?

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    So if Chappelle has, let's say two 8's and one 9.

And Griffin has one 9 and a bunch of 7's, wouldn't you give that to Griffin?
    Based on how much i chuckled:

GRIFFIN

92 HBO One Night Stand - 8 / 10
    94 The Black Man's Bible - 7 / 10
    97 VooDoo Child - 9 / 10
    02 The Last Stand: Raw & Uncut - 7 / 10
    03 Dysfunktional Family - 6 / 10
    08 Freedom of Speech - 6 / 10
    11 You Can Tell 'Em I Said It - 6 / 10

CHAPPELLE

97 HBO Comedy Half-Hour - 9 / 10
    00 Killin' Them Softly - 10 / 10
    05 For What It's Worth - 8 / 10

Now you can decide. :) I guess its a matter of taste.... Chappelle is only behind Richard Pryor the funniest black standup comedian ive ever witnessed, after him i have Bill Cosby, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Kevin Hart, Redd Foxx and the last is Katt Williams/Eddie Griffin.... thats what Griffin has to work against here according to me....

Man i really tried with Griffin, his other stuff just wasnt THAT funny to me... He kindof got worse with age aswell it seems imo, its actually Voodoo Child that made me want to see all his stuff and that was a bad idea because my expectations were waaay to high... Voodoo Child was so much funnier to me than any of his stuff, i mean by very far....

Thats just my opinion
    Last edited by pauk; 04-14-2013 at 10:11 PM.

I didn't like the show that Chapelle did in SF, the one where he was wearing a yellow shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by lefthook00
    I didn't like the show that Chapelle did in SF, the one where he was wearing a yellow shirt.
    This one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Szayrye3fc

Come on

...and the Chappelle's show was just legendary man, that skits there had me dying...

HAHA you would post that. I'd say it was 50% as good as Killing Me Softly.

Based on how much i chuckled:

GRIFFIN

92 HBO One Night Stand - 8 / 10
    94 The Black Man's Bible - 7 / 10
    97 VooDoo Child - 9 / 10
    02 The Last Stand: Raw & Uncut - 7 / 10
    03 Dysfunktional Family - 6 / 10
    08 Freedom of Speech - 6 / 10
    11 You Can Tell 'Em I Said It - 6 / 10

CHAPPELLE

97 HBO Comedy Half-Hour - 9 / 10
    00 Killin' Them Softly - 10 / 10
    05 For What It's Worth - 8 / 10

Now you can decide. :) I guess its a matter of taste.... Chappelle is only behind Richard Pryor the funniest black standup comedian ive ever witnessed, after him i have Bill Cosby, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Kevin Hart, Redd Foxx and the last is Katt Williams/Eddie Griffin.... thats what Griffin has to work against here according to me....

Man i really tried with Griffin, his other stuff just wasnt THAT funny to me... He kindof got worse with age aswell it seems imo, its actually Voodoo Child that made me want to see all his stuff and that was a bad idea because my expectations were waaay to high... Voodoo Child was so much funnier to me than any of his stuff, i mean by very far....

Thats just my opinion
    Wow, Dysfunk Family and You Can Tell Em I Said it, 6/10?

I have Pryor first of course. Than Rock, Cosby, Murphy, Redd Foxx, Martin Lawrence, Damon Wayans, Dave Chappelle, Flip Wilson and Dick Gregory. That's my top ten.

Mooney, Griffin than Hughley right after the ten.

I don't think Griffin is greater than Chappelle. I just wanted to show Griffin props and prove how overrated Chappelle is. He is not that far off from Chappelle, and you can make a great argument to put Griffin over Chappelle and know eye's should role.

Wow, Dysfunk Family and You Can Tell Em I Said it, 6/10?
    There were some jokes that really cracked me up, but overall... it is what it is... its just my opinion and you shouldnt listen to me... :P

I have Pryor first of course. Than Rock, Cosby, Murphy, Redd Foxx, Martin Lawrence, Damon Wayans, Dave Chappelle, Flip Wilson and Dick Gregory. That's my top ten.

Mooney, Griffin than Hughley right after the ten.

I don't think Griffin is greater than Chappelle. I just wanted to show Griffin props and prove how overrated Chappelle is. He is not that far off from Chappelle, and you can make a great argument to put Griffin over Chappelle and know eye's should role.
    Yea i understand... and wow... how could i forget Damon Wayans!!! He had me crying in Last Stand/Still Standing (and ofcourse In Living Color) and i am desperately trying to find his other stuff.

..and you dont like Kevin Hart? Yea he is overrated... but cant deny, dude is funny

There were some jokes that really cracked me up, but overall... it is what it is... its just my opinion and you shouldnt listen to me... :P

Yea i understand... and wow... how could i forget Damon Wayans!!! He had me crying in Last Stand/Still Standing (and ofcourse In Living Color) and i am desperately trying to find his other stuff.

..and you dont like Kevin Hart? Yea he is overrated... but cant deny, dude is funny
    Hart is good, but he's not even on Tommy Davidson's level and Tommy is not even top 25. And Damon is better than Chappelle, but I mean that seriously, not just to show props.

I'll make a better list, best black comics from 1990 to present day.

1 Rock
    1 Martin Lawrence
    3 Damon Wayans
    4 Chappelle
    5 Griffin
    6 Hughley
    7 Sinbad (mad underrated)
    8 Bernie Mac
    9 David Alan Grier
    10 Cedric
    11 Tommy Davidson
    12 George Wallace
    13 Patrice O'Neal
    14 Wanda Sykes (women need love too)
    15 Bill Bellamy
    16 Steve Harvey
    17 Mark Curry
    18 Chris Tucker
    19 Jamie Foxx
    20 Faizon Love
    21 Kevin Hart
    22 Joe Torry
    23 Tracy Morgan
    24 Katt Williams
    25 Aries Spears

Hart is good, but he's not even on Tommy Davidson's level and Tommy is not even top 25. And Damon is better than Chappelle, but I mean that seriously, not just to show props.

I'll make a better list, best black comics from 1990 to present day.

1 Rock
    1 Martin Lawrence
    3 Damon Wayans
    4 Chappelle
    5 Griffin
    6 Hughley
    7 Sinbad (mad underrated)
    8 Bernie Mac
    9 David Alan Grier
    10 Cedric
    11 Tommy Davidson
    12 George Wallace
    13 Patrice O'Neal
    14 Wanda Sykes (women need love too)
    15 Bill Bellamy
    16 Steve Harvey
    17 Mark Curry
    18 Chris Tucker
    19 Jamie Foxx
    20 Faizon Love
    21 Kevin Hart
    22 Joe Torry
    23 Tracy Morgan
    24 Katt Williams
    25 Aries Spears
    Awesome, will check those dudes out, a couple of guys i never heard of or didnt even knew did standup.

Back to Griffin....... I am not 100% sure what it is with Griffins latest specials for me, but you know how some standup comedians get funnier and funnier with age... like Carlin/Pryor ... well Griffin doesnt do that for me, in the 90s he was young and in the middle of the hip-hop generation, his material & delivery was just like that, funky, wild, stylish and COOL and he used to do so much funny physical/slapstick stuff aswell... that doesnt work anymore, he has growed up, this is a new era, he cant be that guy anymore.... It feels like to me he is one of those guys that really need to be at the right moment and at the right time....
    Last edited by pauk; 04-14-2013 at 11:11 PM.

Awesome, will check those dudes out, a couple of guys i never heard of or didnt even knew did standup.

Back to Griffin....... I am not 100% sure what it is with Griffins latest specials for me, but you know how some standup comedians get funnier and funnier with age... like Carlin/Pryor ... well Griffin doesnt do that for me, in the 90s he was young and in the middle of the hip-hop generation, his material & delivery was just like that, funky, wild, stylish and COOL and he used to do so much funny physical/slapstick stuff aswell... that doesnt work anymore, he has growed up, this is a new era, he cant be that guy anymore.... It feels like to me he is one of those guys that really need to be at the right moment and at the right time....
    I'm the opposite, I think he actually got better with age. Of course, he reachin 50 and is not as nimble as he was on that HBO One Night Stand he did back in the day, but his stand up seems much smarter. He's very consistent.

He's always been deep, like his routine on the Bible that lasted basically the whole 30 minutes. That was genius and he was just 24-25 when he did that. You Can Tell Em I Said It, had some deep material in it.

Hell, Chappelle's first two were better than his last For What It's Worth.

I rule the local playground PieceOfFelt's Avatar

Chappelle is far superior.

- Felt