Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Bold Prediction: Tony Parkers gets MVP this year

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    I showed you the numbers and CP3 won in a landslide. You're talking about eye test... watch footage of the Clippers with and without CP3 and you wouldn't even be arguing with me right now man. Chris Paul's impact on the game of basketball shits on Parker's BAD. There actually isn't another PLAYER in the entire NBA who impacts the all around game as much as CP3 outside of Lebron.

I don't care. I think Parker has played better this season.

That's all it's about. That's what MVP means to me. That's what it should mean. This stuff about how important is trivial as this award should exist to acknowledge the best basketball. I'm not giving Paul points for how badly they do without him. I'll take that into consideration when evaluating him, overall. I could even watch it and go back and re-examine his play during the season, on that basis. But these metrics will never tell me what I think, even if I'm wrong. And these metrics are not the equivalent of the answer, automatically.

As far as of now, Parker will take it over Paul because Spurs #1 seed. Records from the past has proven that theory. If by the end of the season, Spurs are still #1 overall, I strongly believe Parker will take it over Lebron.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imnew09
    As far as of now, Parker will take it over Paul because Spurs #1 seed. Records from the past has proven that theory. If by the end of the season, Spurs are still #1 overall, I strongly believe Parker will take it over Lebron.
    If we are talking about likeliness of being selected I agree Parker>CP3 right now. Only because MVP voters vote incorrectly for what the award was originally and is supposed to be. It's not supposed to be the best player on the team with the best record and that's a moronic way to vote.

Would be nice and well deserved for TP in theory but let's be real here, the media won't allow someone like him to take the MVP home. It's a two man race at this point, LBJ and KD.

Very good NBA starter

The Spurs are too good outside of Tony Parker for him to win it. It's obvious if you watch the team night-in and night-out. He's their best offensive player, but he's not even top-40 in the L in minutes per game.

Lebron averages more minutes, points, rebounds, steals, blocks, and nearly as many assists as Parker, for a team that averages less points than SA.

The media would have it wrong giving the MVP to Parker. Being a candidate is one thing

Tony Parker should not be mentioned in the same sentence as the point guard on the Clippers (ya see what I did there? ). Apologize to Chris Paul all of you who insulted him in such a ridiculous manner.

Local High School Star

Is it just me, or does tony parker use the pick and roll WAY too much? I wonder how effective he is/will be if he isn't utilizing the screen/roll?

Obviously pick and roll is basketball 101, just putting it out there

Dunking on everybody in the park Djahjaga's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    ...Chris Paul is the best offensive PG in the game based on not only his production alone but what he gets out of others and it's not even close. His career offensive rating is at the top of the all time list did you know that?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...tg_career.html

That includes the freaking ABA. Go ahead and look for Tony Parker on that list...
    Number 5 on that list? Kiki Vandeweghe. Ahead of Barkley, Dantley, McHale (7, 8, and 9, respectively). Jose Calderon ahead of Steve Nash. Cedrix Maxwell ahead of...MICHAEL FREAKING JORDAN. MJ is at 14.

But my favorite two members on that list have to be Brad Davis (No. 16) and Mario Elie (No. 30).

Davis is a career 8.2 points, 4.9 assists, 1.8 rebounds guy. Elie is 4.4 points, 2.6 assists, 2.8 rebounds.

Did you even look at the list? Did you consider its validity as a useful metric? You give proponents of advanced metrics a bad name. This is the reason why people think all we do is watch boxscores change. You have to supplement stats with watching the games (and vice versa). You clearly watch every Clippers game ever, but do you seriously not sense anything wrong with that list?

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    Tony Parker should not be mentioned in the same sentence as the point guard on the Clippers (ya see what I did there? ). Apologize to Chris Paul all of you who insulted him in such a ridiculous manner.
    i love paul, but how many finals MVP does paul have?

paul is the same player he's always been but tony parker is in his prime time maturity jordanesque level right now. he's the best PG in the game with rose and rondo out, and its not close.

numbers dont lie. tp9 >cp3 since 2012.

Banned

If he's going to get it, he's gonna need a lot more press. He needs everyone to be talking and putting his name out there.

He deserves it as much as anyone. Durant is only a scorer, and he has Westbrook. Lebron is having a great year too, but he has Wade and Bosh (and even Mario). The MVP award is not the league's best player, it's the player that is most valuable to their respective teams... and that person is Parker.

Sure, Duncan is having an awesome year, but he's been in and out of the lineup this year with injuries. Ginobili has also missed a handful of games this year. In fact, he's not even himself when he is on the court. Leonard and Jackson have also missed games. Parker is the only constant and the only one that shows up every game. He's averaging 20+ ppg on 53% shooting and the primary ball handler on the team.

If you watch Spurs game, you know the offense becomes stagnant when he's out of the game. They still don't have a reliable back up point guard, so Pop can't rest him as much as he would like. Both of the "back ups" are undersized shooting guards converted to point guards. Their only other point guard is a rookie and buried at the end of the bench.

He's leading a team filled of old players, late 2nd round picks, international players, journeymen, and rookies/2nd year players. He is absolutely 100% my MVP this season.

TP has a strong case. He's playing as well as anyone in the league right now, he totally controls the game with greater poise and confidence than ever.
    In a down year with a combination of voter fatigue and lack of exceptional play from the exceptional players he may win it... unfortunately that year isn't it.
    He should definitely be top 5 though.

He deserve it more than LeBron..

The west competition is a lot tougher than east.. Plus duncan will probably miss the rest of the season and Manu is always injured and yet his team has the best record.. I know Pop is also one of the reason for they're success but w/o TP that team is top 8 in the west at best..

High School Starter

Parkers havin a great season and should be in talks, he beats cp in scoring and shooting % besides ft % but that's about it, cp is better in all other aspects playmaking, defense, rebounds, turnovers, leadership and I feel has more impact, both are clutch when needed, parker may be higher on MVP right only due to havin better record and missing fewer games

Quote Originally Posted by whoartthou
    Is it just me, or does tony parker use the pick and roll WAY too much? I wonder how effective he is/will be if he isn't utilizing the screen/roll?

Obviously pick and roll is basketball 101, just putting it out there
    It's called being in a system. And obviously it isn't that simple of a scheme because most teams can't stop it.

Local High School Star

People seem to confuse "bold" and "flat out stupid".

The Spurs are a perfect example of a perfectly coached team. Pop gets the most out of his players. They still find ways to win with Manu, TD, TP out of the lineup at various times. TP won't win MVP for the same reason it would have been absolutely retarded to have given Billups, Ben Wallace, or Rip Hamilton the award in 05-06 when the Pistons finished with the league's best record. TP was never a top 10 player at any point in his career and has no business ever winning it.