Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Where does Manny Pacquiao rank all-time?

Quote Originally Posted by raiderfan19
    IF he beats williams/martinez then that would certainly be something else to consider(and lets be real he has 7 titles, the one from last night is a joke even in todays era of joke belts) But you cant give him credit for that yet, nor can you say floyds career is over. Saying whos to say manny wont beat the pwill/martinez winner is the same thing as me saying whos to say floyd doesnt beat manny next year which would end all argument as to where they rank relative to each other and is much more likely imo then manny beating pwill/martinez for the 160 title(for it to be for the 160 title its got to be at at least 155 even as the catch weight and i dont think manny does that.
    Think about it- it's pretty much definitive that Pac-Floyd won't happen in the Spring because Floyd skipped his court date and his arraignment was rescheduled to January 24 of next year (same day as Roger). So that means the trial will take up the Spring/Summer and if Floyd avoids jail time, the earliest he can fight would be Fall and he won't jump in the ring with Manny after being inactive for more than a year and 1/2 (won't jump in the ring with him in general ). He'll want a tune-up, so the earliest the fight could happen would be Spring of '12 when Floyd is 34, will have been very inactive, and no one will care at that point. Then you have to factor in the high probability that his trainer is serving time again and there's too many reasons why we won't see that fight next year or ever for that matter.

And Pacquiao/Williams=Pacquiao/Margarito=Pacquiao/DLH. Paul says he can make 147 still, so a 155-157 catchweight for the lineal MW crown should be no issue, especially since he's already fighting for it at 157. And if Sergio wins, there's another quality fight and opponent. He offered Manny/Floyd/Angulo a fight for his championship at 155 btw, so that wouldn't be an issue. There's really not many quality opponents or challenges left for Pac and Roach/Arum have both said they would wait to see how Manny does against the much bigger Margarito to decide if fighting Williams would be a good matchup. Tony's broken face and an easy night for Pac says they should go for more history.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Think about it- it's pretty much definitive that Pac-Floyd won't happen in the Spring because Floyd skipped his court date and his arraignment was rescheduled to January 24 of next year (same day as Roger). So that means the trial will take up the Spring/Summer and if Floyd avoids jail time, the earliest he can fight would be Fall and he won't jump in the ring with Manny after being inactive for more than a year and 1/2 (won't jump in the ring with him in general ). He'll want a tune-up, so the earliest the fight could happen would be Spring of '12 when Floyd is 34, will have been very inactive, and no one will care at that point. Then you have to factor in the high probability that his trainer is serving time again and there's too many reasons why we won't see that fight next year or ever for that matter.

And Pacquiao/Williams=Pacquiao/Margarito=Pacquiao/DLH. Paul says he can make 147 still, so a 155-157 catchweight for the lineal MW crown should be no issue, especially since he's already fighting for it at 157. And if Sergio wins, there's another quality fight and opponent. He offered Manny/Floyd/Angulo a fight for his championship at 155 btw, so that wouldn't be an issue. There's really not many quality opponents or challenges left for Pac and Roach/Arum have both said they would wait to see how Manny does against the much bigger Margarito to decide if fighting Williams would be a good matchup. Tony's broken face and an easy night for Pac says they should go for more history.
    Im not saying that they wouldnt fight at 155, im saying pac i dont think pac would. And he cant get it lower than that and still have it get him the 160 title.

Won Avy Bet

I'm not a boxing historian so I can't comment on all-time lists, but since I have watched Pacquiao and Mayweather fight, I'll add this to that particular sub-topic:

Pac is clearly the better fighter. Emphasis on the word 'fighter.' Mayweather might shuffle and dodge and perform peripheral technical tasks better than Manny. But Pac's aggressiveness, strength, and chin given how much size he usually gives up, are staggering. I've wondered myself if there isn't something to the doping thing Floyd has insinuated. If Pac is totally clean, he is an outright beaaaaast.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by raiderfan19
    Im not saying that they wouldnt fight at 155, im saying pac i dont think pac would. And he cant get it lower than that and still have it get him the 160 title.
    I don't see why not. Pac came in at 144.6 on the scale, 148 in the ring against a tough, much bigger opponent who was 150 on the scale and 165 in the ring. Paul Williams rehydrates to 162 at the most and is no where near as strong as Margarito and if he took the same beating Tony did, he would be out in the middle rounds. Martinez is trickier because he's bigger and would rehydrate more and is a better fighter overall than Paul (or at the least I think he would present Manny more problems). But Pac can come in at 145-147, rehydrate to 150 and be good to go.

Roach already said this is an option for their next fight. But we'll just have to wait and see how next week's MW championship fight goes, how Marquez-Katsidis pans out, and Mosley's situation then we'll have a better idea of what the Spring will look like for Manny.

I would put him among the greats. I can't say that he is better than Sugar Ray Robinson or Leonard. Ali, Tyson, Hearns or Hagler. Alexis Arguello or Julio Cesar Chavez. How about Aaron Pryor or Roberto Duran. Pac is among the greats of all-time.

I think another thing to add to the legacies of the 2 fighters is that Floyd has a reputation of ducking quality opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    I think another thing to add to the legacies of the 2 fighters is that Floyd has a reputation of ducking quality opponents.
    Again thats more myth than fact. That would be the equivalent of me saying that manny has a rep for taking performancer enhancers... Neither statement is true(though to be fair floyd does have more of a rep as a ducker) I have a question for you Don, where would you rank floyd all time(roughly speaking).

Quote Originally Posted by JellyBean
    I would put him among the greats. I can't say that he is better than Sugar Ray Robinson or Leonard. Ali, Tyson, Hearns or Hagler. Alexis Arguello or Julio Cesar Chavez. How about Aaron Pryor or Roberto Duran. Pac is among the greats of all-time.
    I'd put Pac over Leonard, Tyson, Hearns, and Hagler at this point.

Can't put him above Duran or SRR, not 100% Ali deserves the nod over him though. Have to think on that one.

Manny can't go down as the GOAT unless he beats PBF and a couple other names in the higher classes like Williams. Even then, to dethrone Sugar Ray Robinson

unlikely. my guess is he finishes at the bottom of the top 10, top 5 if he beats Floyd. right now he's hanging out in the teens.
    Last edited by Zombles; 11-14-2010 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombles
    I'd put Pac over Leonard, Tyson, Hearns, and Hagler at this point.

Can't put him above Duran or SRR, not 100% Ali deserves the nod over him though. Have to think on that one.

Manny can't go down as the GOAT unless he beats PBF and a couple other names in the higher classes like Williams. Even then, to dethrone Sugar Ray Robinson

unlikely. my guess is he finishes at the bottom of the top 10, top 5 if he beats Floyd. right now he's hanging out in the teens.
    and if Floyd totally tears him apart. Does that push him down the list because that would mean guys like whither would do the same.

NBA rookie of the year

You guys are nuts. Pac is NOT better than Leonard

I can list a bunch of cats who are better fighters than Manny

147 and below:

Leonard, Hearns, Armstrong, Robinson, Duran, Pep, Lamotta, Archie Moore, Whitaker, I can go on and on.

I've seen many bouts of these fighters and they'll all handle Manny quite effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarik One
    You guys are nuts. Pac is NOT better than Leonard

I can list a bunch of cats who are better fighters than Manny

147 and below:

Leonard, Hearns, Armstrong, Robinson, Duran, Pep, Lamotta, Archie Moore, Whitaker, I can go on and on.

I've seen many bouts of these fighters and they'll all handle Manny quite effectively.
    Thank you. Someone with some since

I view the all-time list as what the boxer accomplished, not necessarily who would beat who. I think some boxers today would beat Sugar Ray Robinson, the sweet science wasn't as advanced as it is today and the athleticism in the game is much higher. The Klitschko brothers would probably beat the shit out of Marciano but it doesn't mean they rank higher.

Leonard's a great fighter but I don't see how going 1-1 with a smaller Duran, beating Hearns, and getting a questionable decision over Hagler makes him better than Manny.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    and if Floyd totally tears him apart. Does that push him down the list because that would mean guys like whither would do the same.
    Doesn't push him down, every single person on everyone's list besides Marciano lost to at least one of their best contemporaries, usually lost quite a few times.

But Pac can only go so high without fighting his best contemporary. It'd be like Ali never fighting Foreman.
    Last edited by Zombles; 11-14-2010 at 09:08 PM.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Zombles
    I view the all-time list as what the boxer accomplished, not necessarily who would beat who. I think some boxers today would beat Sugar Ray Robinson, the sweet science wasn't as advanced as it is today and the athleticism in the game is much higher. The Klitschko brothers would probably beat the shit out of Marciano but it doesn't mean they rank higher.

Leonard's a great fighter but I don't see how going 1-1 with a smaller Duran, beating Hearns, and getting a questionable decision over Hagler makes him better than Manny.

Doesn't push him down, every single person on everyone's list besides Marciano lost to at least one of their best contemporaries, usually lost quite a few times.

But Pac can only go so high without fighting his best contemporary. It'd be like Ali never fighting Foreman.

It's obvious you've never taken an extended look at the fighters I mentioned.

The idea of Klitschkos beating Marciano is absolutely laughable too.

it's obvious i've never seen any of them fight because i explicitly said the fact that they might beat Manny doesn't necessarily mean they rank higher on the all-time list ?

And I see almost no way Rocky could get inside that reach or overcome the size and strength disadvantage. He was what, 5'11" and 185 for most of his career? Even if he did, Vitali's chin is a rock and doesn't break from the first haymaker that lands. I guess he could suzie q Wladamir if he landed flush but it seems unlikely.
    Last edited by Zombles; 11-14-2010 at 09:30 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tarik One
    It's obvious you've never taken an extended look at the fighters I mentioned.

The idea of Klitschkos beating Marciano is absolutely laughable too.
    Wladimir Klitschko: 6'6" height, 81" reach, usually comes in at 240+ lbs
    Vitali Klitschko: 6'7 1/2" height, 80" reach, usually comes in at 245+ lbs

Rocky Marciano: 5'10" height, 67" reach, usually came in at 185 lbs

Klitschkos vs Marciano would be a horrible mismatch that would result in a punishing one-sided KO loss in the early-mid rounds for the Rock.