Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Lets Be Real: Dirk Was More Successful as a Lead Dog Than KG

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine
    It did though. I was hard on Garnett early in his career and really did not like the way he played in the '08 finals at all, but he did lead them to the ring as much as anyone else on the team did from the stand-point of taking all the series into factor.
    I'm talking about being the clear cut #1 option.. he did it with 2 hall of famers.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
    You could put together a weaker team with players more suited to playing with Kg and they would get it done to be honest.Prime KG was a monster, put him on any of Duncan's championship teams and he's get it done.

He was a monster but he isn't leading Jason Terry and JJ Barea to a championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Cone
    I'm talking about being the clear cut #1 option.. he did it with 2 hall of famers.
    And Jason Kidd is a future HoFer without a doubt. People need to use context.

Quote Originally Posted by Odinn

Allen and Pierce were both way better players than Kidd was in 2011. Kidd was a beast defensively, but he wasn't on PP or Allen's level at the time.

Decent college freshman

I fail to see how a 37 year old Jason Kidd helps KG's case over Dirk. Context?

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    Probably not. Why would they? That Mavs team was built around Dirk's strengths.

Would Dirk be able to take Minny's supporting cast in '04 to the Conference finals? With guys like Sprewell, Hudson, Cassell and Szczerbiak?

Why wouldn't they? Dirk took two dogs.hit teams to the Finals and won one of them. Have you ever seen the 06 team? They were starting Adrian Griffin and had a center combo of Erick Dampier and Diop. Stacked

I don't think I need to explain my self.

Very good NBA starter

I wonder if Dirks champion ship run will continue to be surrounded by 1st and 2nd round knock outs. For the Mavs and his sake I hope not. Surely a revamped roster will help but who knows. From 2007-2012, Dirk carried the Mavs to a 26 win/26 loss record in the playoffs, including 4 first round exits.

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    He was a monster but he isn't leading Jason Terry and JJ Barea to a championship.
    But that's subjective.

No one on the world would say Dirk was more successful than Duncan as a first option but KG would give those teams more (we all know TD is a better rim protector but KG's defensive versatility and lateral quickness across the perimiter compensates) to a a Chip.

Kidd/Barea
    Stevenson/Terry
    Marion/Stojokavic
    Dirk
    Chandler/Haywood

And all the other relative scrubs right, that's a nicely balanced team but whats more important is that all these guys played the playoffs of their lives and they were raining threes like we've never seen before.

Kidd/Barea
    Steveson/Terry
    Hedo/Stojakovic
    KG
    Chandler/Haywood

Could get it done almost as well (talking bout Orlando 09 Hedo BTW). There's virtually no change in talent there.ou're just accomodating for KG's strengths which is what Cuban and Dallas did for Dirk.
    Last edited by Rubio2Gasol; 08-07-2012 at 02:02 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

So if you replaced Dirk with prime KG on that 2011 Mavs team, do people still see them winning the Finals? I don't.

If Lebron chokes again? Absolutely!!!

Banned

both kg and dirk could never win without a great supporting cast carrying them to a finals. I would take kg though because he does alll the little things needed to win. all the little dirty things. dirk cant even set a screen properly and plays no d whatsoever

Why wouldn't they? Dirk took two dogs.hit teams to the Finals and won one of them. Have you ever seen the 06 team? They were starting Adrian Griffin and had a center combo of Erick Dampier and Diop. Stacked
    Right. "Dog shit" teams, hah!

1st in offensive rating in 2006 and top 10 in DRtg in 2011.

Terry/Kidd/Stojakovic/Marion/Chandler/Stevenson >>>> Cassell/Hudson/Olowokandi/Szczerbiak/Hoiberg and it's not even close. Dallas' 2006 squad also had more talent.

Quote Originally Posted by kobron23
    both kg and dirk could never win without a great supporting cast carrying them to a finals. I would take kg though because he does alll the little things needed to win. all the little dirty things. dirk cant even set a screen properly and plays no d whatsoever
    I already knew you were retarded, but this just sealed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cone

I don't think I need to explain my self.
    Yeah. But "he had HoFer(s)" argument without the context one of the weakest arguments. That's why I posted about it.

Local High School Star

Allen and Pierce were both way better players than Kidd was in 2011. Kidd was a beast defensively, but he wasn't on PP or Allen's level at the time.
    So really what you're saying is that since KG needed scorers to win a title, that somehow makes him less of a player than Dirk, who is only good-great at scoring and thus needs a team to cover up all of the other holes...