Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: PED's in the nba

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    rashard lewis got caught for them a few years back right? got like 15 games suspended, and has been on the dexline ever since

rose and durant have both stated that other players use them, but retracted their statements afterwards (PR move presumably)

thats about all ive heard with regards to peds and the nba
    It doesn't seem like Rose likes guys like Lebron and Wade. Every time he's around them like in an all-star setting he looks like he hates them. I wonder if thats part of the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    Why Kobe? Definitely see Wade doing it. Just look at his jaw.
    Think about how often Kobe has been injured over the last few seasons and how quickly he's been able to come back from them. There's been some drop off obviously, but not nearly as much as someone who has logged as many minutes as Kobe. I'm not saying that Kobe does or has used them, and frankly there hasn't been enough of a smoking gun yet to really suggest it (and that could just be the media turning a blind eye to the whole thing), but if there was a prime candidate knowing what we know about PEDs and their usage, Kobe would be right at the top.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by steve
    Think about how often Kobe has been injured over the last few seasons and how quickly he's been able to come back from them. There's been some drop off obviously, but not nearly as much as someone who has logged as many minutes as Kobe. I'm not saying that Kobe does or has used them, and frankly there hasn't been enough of a smoking gun yet to really suggest it (and that could just be the media turning a blind eye to the whole thing), but if there was a prime candidate knowing what we know about PEDs and their usage, Kobe would be right at the top.
    Exactly.

Kobe, right at the top ? Not Lebron, the physical freak who has never been really injured ? Or Westbrook "nver missed a game" ?

Oh, and people kid themselves if they think people like Wilt etc. didn't use Roids.

Heck, Wilt was prolly using them even after he retired. It's not for nothing he died of Heart Failure.

Banned

Lots of speculation without proof in this thread.

Dr. J was on PEDS?

Magic Johnson was on PEDS?

Larry Bird was on PEDS?

Jeff Hornacek was on PED's?

Clyde Drexler was on PED's?

I'm sure there are a few players who've used them at some point, but they are not necessary in the NBA.

Learning to shoot layups jl1718's Avatar

Let's be honest it's widespread. Look at when some of these players came straight outta high school. Ripped, big as f*ck, and able to play at a all star level over a 82 game season. Child please, the NBA missed the meteor that landed on the NFL and MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    Exactly.

Never fails. I suppose MJ just came back at 38 able to score 20+ppg off of pure will and determination.

I rule the local playground Linspired's Avatar

kobe with additional confidence means 6 for 24 instead of 6 for 18.

AK47DR91
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by steve
    I think a lot of players are on PED's and steroids, the kind that heal injuries faster. If you're a superstar, you're more likely to get away with it as Stern wouldn't want you to miss too many games.

Does the NBA even do normal drug testing? Nba players are notorious weed smokers and no one ever gets tested for that.

OJ mayo did get caught using DHEA in the 10-11 season . Same drug as Rashard

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...48484/27277010

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chalkmaze
    Lots of speculation without proof in this thread.

Dr. J was on PEDS?

Magic Johnson was on PEDS?

Larry Bird was on PEDS?

Jeff Hornacek was on PED's?

Clyde Drexler was on PED's?

I'm sure there are a few players who've used them at some point, but they are not necessary in the NBA.
    Wait a second. Please tell me why they "are not necessary in the NBA?" What about the pounding of an 82 game schedule could PED's not help. You do realize that their primary use is for recovery not for bulking up don't you? Get a grip homie.

Decent college freshman

By the time a drug test is laboratory tested, peer reviewed and finally approved the by FDA you've got 20-somethings with a PHD in chemistry who are already 10 steps ahead of the process.

Back in the early 2000s there was a "prohormone" (term for steroids which hasn't been banned by FDA yet) called Superdrol. It was eventually banned, but you can walk into any GNC store or dial up Amazon.com right now and find a clone (M-Drol, M-Stane, etc) which is virtually the same drug with a few minor chemical tweaks. Once it passes through your liver it has the same effect in your blood stream as the original drug, but it's not technically illegal yet. By the time the FDA catches this round of clones, there will be a dozen more.

You can buy the Superdrol clones for like $40 a bottle, now just imagine what kind of shit you could get a hold of as a millionaire athlete.

Also a lot of these drugs have half lives of a day or even a few hours. Even if they were able to develop a reliable test for them they'd need to catch the player almost immediately.

And like a lot of people already said, they are not necessarily using anabolic steroids. There are peptides, HGH, IGF-1 and a whole shitload of other PEDs out there. The typical stereotypes of bad skin and muscle growth is ignorant and about 20 years outdated. Check out rui-products.com, you can buy a lot of this stuff off the internet if you're savvy enough to mix the proper concentrations and inject yourself.

Sorry this turned out so long a post but you are very naive if you think that any professional sport is clean.

I rule the local playground Floppy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe681
    I honestly dont see what the big deal is.

If it were up to me I would let professional players use PED's as long as they are doing it under a doctors' supervision and are doing it at their own (acknowledged) risk.
    The point of taking PEDs is to get an edge over your opponents. If you legalize PEDs athletes with the best drugs and/or athletes who are willing to take the most risks will win.

Hardly fair and not really role models for your children.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Floppy
    The point of taking PEDs is to get an edge over your opponents. If you legalize PEDs athletes with the best drugs and/or athletes who are willing to take the most risks will win.

Hardly fair and not really role models for your children.
    Wait a sec kiddo, that's what is happening now. Legalization isn't necessary. These guys have access to all the latest/greatest PED's for sure. And the ones who are willing to take the most risks are winning. Open your eyes. You really think that Dwight Howard has never used PED's? Or Lebron, or Wade? Grow up buddy.

The reason for the lack of testing is ignorance to the changing times.
    Everyone knew that steroids made basketball players bulk up, slow down and become far more at risk for injuries among other things, so basketball players didn't take steroids and there was no reason to test them. Of course steroids has nothing to do with modern day PED's which ARE being taken by NBA players.
    Honestly, I would not give a crap if they were taking something that wouldn't shorten their lives or cause long term illness.