Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Thomas Robinson Predraft Workout

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Pretty much agree with your post aside from the bolded part. These workouts really should mean a hell of a lot more to these guys than a random regular season basketball game.

The difference in the pay scale between going, say, No. 4 to the Cavs and dropping to the bottom half of the lottery is huge. There are millions of dollars on the line and, at least in the Cavs' case, there is a lot of stock put into how these guys look against other top prospects in a setting that the franchise can control to try to spot weaknesses.

One of the biggest reasons that Tristan Thompson was taken No. 4 overall last year was because he completely out-performed Derrick Williams in several workouts. If these guys think that these pre-draft workouts don't mean much, they have been misled somewhere along the way.

These are the most important moments in their careers up to this point, from a perspective of making a living playing basketball. If you look like garbage, your stock can plummet. Drummond had a real chance to get into the Top 4... Even as high as No. 2 with good workouts and interviews. Instead, most mocks now have him between 7-10.

Millions of dollars have potentially been lost.
    I was referencing the perception of a player like Drummond who has assured himself of being a Top 10 pick. If an in-game performance doesn't register to him as being important and he had 25-30 of those, then I highly doubt a competition with another player would get a rise out of him. He's always had motivation problems and we both saw that at UConn as he would just coast through games without trying to establish himself on offense. On the other hand, T-Rob is on a mission to prove himself to every NBA scout/GM because he's trying to earn respect & a payday. Just more mature and realizing that these workouts are a job interview.

Drummond's stock should be slipping, but his upside is so attractive. From all I've gathered via the ISH Rumors page the past 2 weeks and the Twitters of local columnists, he has struck out at each workout. Probably has a lot to do with him not taking them seriously or much else seriously. I saw that he had ended one of his workouts after they did a simple Free Throw drill and clanked a few. I think that was in Portland.

Just kick the Bobcocs and the Jizzards out of the league..........stop making these college guys suffer

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Running pick-and-pops is one thing. Throwing up long jumpers on fast breaks can have an unnatural feel, especially for a big man. I would be willing to bet if the workout was in the halfcourt and consisted of him popping out on a screen, setting his feet and shooting, he would have had a much better percentage made.

Looked like more of a conditioning drill than a shooting drill to me.
    True.

Being asked to hit mid-range jumpers while he should be filling his lane and cutting to the rim isn't realistic for what he'd expect in the NBA. You've got to have a terrible PG to end up a fastbreak that far out , and some pretty terrible shot selection(Nick Young-esque) to take a jumper in the midst of a fast break.

From the premise of the drill it looked as if they wanted to see how they shoot when being lead into a jumpshot. That part is going to be pretty realistic for the NBA for a PF. Espescially at the speed of the NBA game where if he were to set a pick or screen he'd have to be ready to catch & shoot, sometimes without having his feet firmly planted. You can't be timid for even 1/2 a second in those situations once you catch the ball.

It might've been a conditioning drill too. Who knows how many times they had gone through it before they started recording. I think its dumb for the Wizards Youtube account to put a workout video up without editing, which is pretty much what other teams basically do.

All dat hating I'm getting. Keep feeding. The More Fed I am, the Most dominant I will be.

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended
    Once I got it going, DAMN THAT Jshot was wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Punpun
    All dat hating I'm getting. Keep feeding. The More Fed I am, the Most dominant I will be.
    So Thomas where do you think you'll end up on draft night?

Everyone telling me I will end up as a cat. Up to me to turn the team into tigers.. But god, will it be hard. On the other hand, I will be allowed to roam free and will be in good position for the RoY.

Very good NBA starter

Robinson is a better athlete than Milsap, Favors, coming out. He's not refined like them. The guy is a better athlete than Bass while being a better rebounder.

I agree, he's not really a top 10 pick in my eyes

Quote Originally Posted by PP34Deuce
    Robinson is a better athlete than Milsap, Favors, coming out. He's not refined like them. The guy is a better athlete than Bass while being a better rebounder.

I agree, he's not really a top 10 pick in my eyes
    Actually, you are disagreeing here.

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended

Did he ever hit more than 2 in a row? On his second time hitting two in a row and missing the third one he let Cassell get the ball (at least it looks like Cassell). And the camera man is like, "He has having problems...GOD!"

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Punpun
    Actually, you are disagreeing here.

Hes a better prospect potentially than those guys, I still think in the draft there are 10-11 better players with skill or potential than him.

Who was the last Kansas player to really pan out since Paul Pierce? Hinrich and Chalmers are the only guys that ever came out of that program that even starts.

Perfect background story for a Legend.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinJDW
    Who was the last Kansas player to really pan out since Paul Pierce? Hinrich and Chalmers are the only guys that ever came out of that program that even starts.
    Good point.

Who was the last player before Pierce to pan out in the NBA from Kansas? I mean I guess you can say Danny Manning who came out 10 years before him although he didn't live up to the hype.

Kansas puts a lot of guys in the pros, just few "stars".

Not sure why.