Page 142 of 153 FirstFirst ... 4292132139140141142143144145152 ... LastLast
Results 2,116 to 2,130 of 2288

Default Re: Illinois basketball fans

I'm still not buying it.

It sucks to lose back-to-back games, but we are obviously better than last year IMO.

I think everyone is so quick to pull the plug on Weber. I still don't get it. Maybe it's because people feel like something has to change and it's just where they put their disappointment.

We have talent. We're 15-5. We have no bad losses. You can say Wisconsin @ home because we're not used to losing at home, but, they are a good team that will likely be in it come tourney time.

I know it sucks to lose after we watch Brandon put 40 on OSU, but the truth is without him getting that many points, we would have lost. We are still a young team. Sammy turned into a freaking idiot when he got injured. We've got PG problems among other things. I don't think it's on the level of OMG FIRE BRUCE yet. I'll let you know when I agree. lol

Nobody was saying fire bruce 2 games ago.

-Smak

NBA rookie of the year IlliniFan's Avatar

I'm not on the fire Weber bandwagon yet either. I'm going to wait to see how the season plays out. There's a lot of trigger happy fans out there and they sound like idiots. But losing at Penn State IS a bad loss. Don't care if it's on the road. That's going to be a blemish on our resume.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    I'm still not buying it.

It sucks to lose back-to-back games, but we are obviously better than last year IMO.

I think everyone is so quick to pull the plug on Weber. I still don't get it. Maybe it's because people feel like something has to change and it's just where they put their disappointment.

We have talent. We're 15-5. We have no bad losses. You can say Wisconsin @ home because we're not used to losing at home, but, they are a good team that will likely be in it come tourney time.

I know it sucks to lose after we watch Brandon put 40 on OSU, but the truth is without him getting that many points, we would have lost. We are still a young team. Sammy turned into a freaking idiot when he got injured. We've got PG problems among other things. I don't think it's on the level of OMG FIRE BRUCE yet. I'll let you know when I agree. lol

Nobody was saying fire bruce 2 games ago.

-Smak
    Are you kidding, what planet are you on? People have been saying fire Bruce for 2 years now. And I don't know where you get obviously we're better than last year from, are we? We're one game better than last year, 15-5 this year, 14-6 last year. The pattern is still the same, losing games we shouldn't lose over and over again. Not playing the bench at this point is inexcusable, DJ playing 39 minutes and Meyers and Bertrand 38 minutes. I believe he stated during the postgame of yesterday's game that he should have played the bench more. That is so alarming that we have a coach that clueless that he can't realize something like that. That is a troubling statement

To sit around for 9 days, watching pretty much every team in our conference get upset and have a performance at Penn St like we did is terrible. I said this last year and I will say it again. The players are different every year but the one constant is clueless Bruce. He greatly struggles with making in game adjustments allowing the opposing team to dictate the tempo of the game. He won't coach to his players strength and instead sticks with that worthless motionless offense.
    You're right it isn't at the level of OMG FIRE BRUCE yet, it's beyond that level.
    The team gets progressively worse as the season goes along, here are the records for the last 10 games since 2004:
    2011: (4-6)
    2010: (4-6)
    2009: (5-5)
    2008: (5-5)
    2007: (6-4)
    2006: (6-4)
    2005: (8-2)
    2004: (8-2)

His Big 10 record in the last 5 years is 39-40 overall record 96-63, 2 NCAA appearances( a 1st and 2nd round exit). You live in the absolute clueless club if you like these results at a school like Illinois. That is borderline horrible.

One last thing STOP with the excuse about this being a young team. This team was starting a 5th year senior, another senior, 2 juniors and a soph. until a few games into the Big 10 season. This is not a team full of freshman. I could buy that excuse if Weber was actually playing the freshman he recruited off his bench instead of letting Sam and Tyler who both have been worthless lately but he isn't.

Good gosh, I'm so tired of wasting time pointing out the many faults of Bruce Weber. You are happy with finishing 9-9 in the conference and sweating it out on selection sunday every year just to get a 8 thru 11 seed fine that is what makes you happy but you are way in the minority in that feeling as an Illinois fan.

I would like an answer from you, please tell me what you like about him so much to wait and see. What is it that he does so well that he deserves that at this stage?
    Last edited by bootsy; 01-24-2012 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniFan
    I'm not on the fire Weber bandwagon yet either. I'm going to wait to see how the season plays out. There's a lot of trigger happy fans out there and they sound like idiots. But losing at Penn State IS a bad loss. Don't care if it's on the road. That's going to be a blemish on our resume.
    Those trigger happy fans aren't idiots there people that are frustrated with the results. I suppose you'll play the wait and see game forever. Are you honestly happy with what has gone on this year so far? last year's results? the last 5 years? If you are then I think you need to look in the mirror when calling someone an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by bootsy
    Those trigger happy fans aren't idiots there people that are frustrated with the results. I suppose you'll play the wait and see game forever. Are you honestly happy with what has gone on this year so far? last year's results? the last 5 years? If you are then I think you need to look in the mirror when calling someone an idiot.
    I said I'd wait and see what happens at the end of THIS season. I wasn't trying to call you an idiot, but if you think a coach that is 15-5 should be fired mid season, then yeah, you need to think about how bad that would look. What coach is going to want to come here if that happens? What are recruits going to think? Frustration is one thing, no Illini fan is happy with losing, but a large percentage of this fan base sound like idiots when they talk about Weber and what should be done.

I like our team and I like our players. He's brought in the kind of players I want to see. He's got them playing defense.

All of the years that we finished poorly in the big ten we had a team lead by trashy seniors. Think of all of these players we had that were 'potentially good' but never lived up to the hype.

This year we have more talent than we have had in awhile. McCamey was a better scorer than anyone we had, but his faults actually gave us more Ls than his talent got wins IMO. This year, we have struggles on offense. We have a great big man rotation, though, and we have great D. Our team is more talented than it's been maybe since Dee and James graduated.

It was always "yeah we have this, but this is our flaw." This year, we don't have glaring flaws. It would be nice if these guys could make some jumpers consistently, but we don't need that if we can actually be smart and get the ball inside.

Think of all of the trashy almost-good players we had to sit through: Warren Carter, Brain Randle, Jamar Smith, Rich McBride, Shaun Pruitt (although I love that guy), McCamey, Mike Davis... none of those guys were consistent. None of them did their job on the court on a regular basis except maybe Pruitt, who was a beast but had no shooters around him. Those guys were obvious talents, but none of them lived up to the hype. Now, we have finally replaced them with new players who ball.

We've lost 2 games in a row. That sucks, but that's ALL that has happened so far. Like IlliniFan said... let the season play out.

-Smak

I said I'd wait and see what happens at the end of THIS season. I wasn't trying to call you an idiot, but if you think a coach that is 15-5 should be fired mid season, then yeah, you need to think about how bad that would look. What coach is going to want to come here if that happens? What are recruits going to think? Frustration is one thing, no Illini fan is happy with losing, but a large percentage of this fan base sound like idiots when they talk about Weber and what should be done.
    It's not just this season. This crap has been going on for multiple seasons now as I clearly pointed out. If this was Bruce's 1st or 2nd season at Illinois I wouldn't be discussing this but he has been at Illinois for 8+ seasons and has continued a downward trend and a similar trend during the season which is playing down to the competition losing multiple games at home, having to scrap to get to an even record or just above in the Big 10. This shouldn't be happening at Illinois. That 15-5 record means nothing to me right now because of how we are playing and have been for the last few season. Like I said go ahead and be happy and satisfied with a 15-5 record. I and most other fans of Illinois aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by bootsy
    It's not just this season. This crap has been going on for multiple seasons now as I clearly pointed out. If this was Bruce's 1st or 2nd season at Illinois I wouldn't be discussing this but he has been at Illinois for 8+ seasons and has continued a downward trend and a similar trend during the season which is playing down to the competition losing multiple games at home, having to scrap to get to an even record or just above in the Big 10. This shouldn't be happening at Illinois. That 15-5 record means nothing to me right now because of how we are playing and have been for the last few season. Like I said go ahead and be happy and satisfied with a 15-5 record. I and most other fans of Illinois aren't.
    I think you might be slightly spoiled. As I told you before, I became an Illini fan when we were terrible. Then we got really good. It was disappointing to watch players I thought could do better not perform, but this year I am happy win or lose. I feel like I can relate to the players and to Bruce.

It sucks we always have drama, though, losing Richmond was big.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    I think you might be slightly spoiled. As I told you before, I became an Illini fan when we were terrible. Then we got really good. It was disappointing to watch players I thought could do better not perform, but this year I am happy win or lose. I feel like I can relate to the players and to Bruce.

It sucks we always have drama, though, losing Richmond was big.

-Smak
    This team would be great with Richmond at the 4. He was a great rebounder and passer from that spot, and could score in the post. That spot is by far our biggest weakness. Bertrand would be perfect as a scorer off the bench. I really wish that kid had his head on straight, we could have been a top 15 team consistently with Richmond.

As far as Weber, I've always supported him, but doubt is starting to creep in for me. I have no doubt that he's a great person and strategist, but I don't think he's a great motivator, nor can he relate well to these 18 and 19 year old kids. He does a lot better with more mature hard nosed kids like Chester Frazier and Deron Williams were. Problem is, those types are hard to find, and you need to find a coach that can deal with these kids.

This team would be great with Richmond at the 4. He was a great rebounder and passer from that spot, and could score in the post. That spot is by far our biggest weakness. Bertrand would be perfect as a scorer off the bench. I really wish that kid had his head on straight, we could have been a top 15 team consistently with Richmond.

As far as Weber, I've always supported him, but doubt is starting to creep in for me. I have no doubt that he's a great person and strategist, but I don't think he's a great motivator, nor can he relate well to these 18 and 19 year old kids. He does a lot better with more mature hard nosed kids like Chester Frazier and Deron Williams were. Problem is, those types are hard to find, and you need to find a coach that can deal with these kids.
    Well, but on the other hand it's an interesting dynamic. First of all, I think Bruce has been good for DJ and Brandon. Eventually, it worked out. This year might be the first year they are really reaping the rewards of his, what I feel was, riding Brandon's ass. DJ was always good because he never took risks. As he has gotten older, he has started to take a few more.

But we are getting these kids that are too good for that treatment, that need to be coddled. Deron was a once in a lifetime player. A competitor, a talent, but also humble when it comes to a star player. Chester was great for us. The thing is, he needs a "coach on the floor" player. That's why Chester worked so well is because coach liked him and then Chester was able to be a leader and embody Bruce on the floor. This year, we got Sammy, and we haven't had Sammy for long and KID IS ****ING UP. I dunno what the hell is wrong with him. Early on I thought he was so mature, but he has really thrown some games away with stupid shots. We need a point guard, someone trustworthy. I knew that would be an issue for us, so I'm not too worried. The sad thing is we don't need talent from the PG position, so you'd think we would be able to pull in some gritty defensive minded PG that understood the game.

That's basically what it is, though, we have all of this other shit, but Bruce can't be the PG for us. He can only tell people what to do and hope they do it.

I have great faith in Bruce. He's our coach until he doesn't want to be our coach, in my opinion. I am not a fickle fan; I think it's good to have a coach that is the face of the program and Bruce is a good face for us.

-Smak

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Regardless, Weber is still on the hot seat right now. Someone will need to be blamed if this season continues this trend.

It's not fun watching. They really struggle to score. I'm sorry but Sam is useless on the floor right now and has been pretty much since conference play started. He's in over his head in the Big Ten, especially with a gimpy ankle.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

This slow ball that Weber has us playing is really the biggest hindrance from us scoring. There really isn't a reason why we should struggle. We look like the days where Brian Randle, Shaun Pruitt, Warren Carter and Rich McBride were our best scorers...but we're so much better than that.

Brandon can score. Period, no reason he should be struggling offensively. DJ can shoot and get open, and Meyers seems to have some serious power/faceup moves that goes under-utilized.

We need to run. Run, run run. With guys like Leonard, DJ, Paul, Bertrand, Shaw, Abrams, shouldn't we be running the moment a shot goes in the air? Few teams will be able to compete with us if we're running. I know it may make defense softer, but our transition defense has been solid most years. This grind-it-out basketball we're doing isn't working.

If Weber is canned this year, get me Shaka Smart.

At least we get a chance to beat another high ranked team. I still remember dude saying they were going to outrebound us by 5. Let's see that shit.

-Smak

"Dude". lol

I will try one for myself....here we go:

I still remember dude saying Leonard alone made Illinois' front court better than MSU's.....regardless of the fact MSU has a potential first team all-american at pf and is on everyone's top 10 for national POY.....along with Payne and Nix who are better than the 2nd and 3rd best bigs on Illinois in the minds of everyone....except maybe for said "guy".

And no, if you guys win, it doesn't make the above statement any less ridiculous. I mean, I feel you should come out and at least admit how silly of a comment that was.

See the difference in comments that we made? I simply made a bet because I believe MSU can out rebound you guys by 5. Nothing silly about that. Doesn't mean it's gonna happen. Just feel those are good odds. You on the other hand.....ridiculous.

Illinifan and Wang4three....did you trade TheGame for this poster? lol