Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Vince Carter: The re-imagination of VC

I wouldn't mind Vince playing here. It's been years and people just need to get over it.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by bk33
    Agreed, I hate it when people use the "greatest in franchise history", well it doesn't mean that much when the franchise has no history, should the Magic retire T-Mac? should the Bobcats retire All-time points leader Gerald Wallace? Same goes with Alvin Williams I remember kids here used to say his number should be retired because he played on bum knees
    I think I disagree. Not strongly or anything but put it in perspective.

You create tradtions at "some point". You gotta start them sometime or else you never have them.

I am no kid - 40+ - and I would honor both Alvin and MoPete.

I mean the Toronto Maple Leafs have not won "anything" since 1967 and they still retired the jerseys of Doug Gilmor and (marginal hall of famer) Wendel Clarke. Their traditions are based on age of franchise as opposed to actual accomplishments in the last 30 years. Further they will retire Matts Sunden (if they havent already). Matts should be a likely first ballot Hall of Famer but he certainly did not win anything here ! Nor did Bjorge Salming (spelling) and I think they retired his number ??

Toronto Blue Jays have won exactly 2 World Series titles (1992/93) since 1977 and have won little since. They have retired... or at least put on the "wall of fame" far more players and contributors than helped them win those 2 lonely titles. Further some of the guys on the wall of fame will NEVER make it to the Baseball Hall of Fame... NEVER... Dave Steib anyone ?

I mean bottom line is this franchise has nothing in its pockets but a copule of Atlantic division titles... but that does not prohibit honoring of great players / great citizens of past teams.
    Last edited by Jballer; 02-06-2014 at 05:00 PM.

Local High School Star

Maybe you dont "retire the jersey" - maybe you create a wall of fame as well and then "retire the jersey if the guy makes the hall of fame".

You gotta do something.

Guys I would honor

Damon Mighty Mouse Stodamire
    TMac
    Vince
    Alvin
    MoPete
    Antonio Davis

and eventually...

Chris Bosh
    Jose Calderon

I am unsure about Bargnani... I might be letting personal disappointment in the player over shadow his years here. Maybe after a number of years I might soften and change my mind.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jballer
    Maybe you dont "retire the jersey" - maybe you create a wall of fame as well and then "retire the jersey if the guy makes the hall of fame".

You gotta do something.

Guys I would honor

Damon Mighty Mouse Stodamire
    TMac
    Vince
    Alvin
    MoPete
    Antonio Davis

and eventually...

Chris Bosh
    Jose Calderon

I am unsure about Bargnani... I might be letting personal disappointment in the player over shadow his years here. Maybe after a number of years I might soften and change my mind.
    Vince will definitely be honoured. It will take sometimes though ala Robbie Alomar.

Decent college freshman Dr.Funk's Avatar

They can put his face inside every urinal.

If the team wants to retire his number and/or honor him, I have no problems with that. He did do a lot for this franchise. Before Vince came along the Raptors were basically a D league team that NOBODY wanted to play for. He literately put this team on the map.

Local High School Star

Maybe the key is "downplay" Vince's enshrinement in Toronto. Mix it is with others... like Mighty Mouse.

The good Dr is still some bitter... and in fairness I think a lot of fans still are.

I recall a new item from a Suns game couple of years ago. Nash (in a joking fashion) was playing with Vince and had the entire team boo Vince loudly during Suns only practice shoot around... explained after the team was preping Vince for the game

Learning to shoot layups

vince really spiked the interest in basketball in canada