Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anybody watching this new show Louie on FX?

I've seen his show advertised, and not given it much thought. I was about to change the channel but gave it like 5 minutes. Then the dude starts doing stand up, kind of like Seinfeld. Some of his stuff is pretty hilarious.

I think this show is worth a mention. This episode is called "poker/divorce", and there is this pretty funny scene where he's taking with his comedian buddies at a poker game about the word "f*ggot". Don't want to give too much away but it was a funny scene.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Default Re: Anybody watching this new show Louie on FX?

Didn't even know it debuted tonight. Louis CK is a high quality standup, but even "Louis" on HBO wasn't great quality, I can't see his act translating to basic cable. I'll give it a go but my hopes are fairly low.

Props to FX though, they've been making moves the last few years.

Value Ape.

I watched 2 episodes on FX tonight & dug it.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I recorded it but haven't watched it yet.

But I can say that in my opinion, Louis CK is the best of the club level comedians working at the moment, at least on the east coast. I don't see or hear a ton of the west coast guys. The guy has great material, and he comes up with new stuff constantly.

I wouldn't have known about this if I hadn't heard him plugging it on Opie and Anthony, and even then that was a few weeks ago, and I had forgotten it was on. I didn't even realize Rescue Me started last night until last night. So I'd say FX, while I love a lot of their shows, hasn't done a very good job advertising of late.

Blu Ray

FX is really quality. They're turning into a powerhouse channel. I'm gonna watch this later.

Watched it. Liked it. Especially his awkwardness in regards to getting back into the dating game. He's one of my favorite stand up comics.

Banned

Taped it, watched it today. Very funny...and a really fresh approach to the 30-minute show, very unique.

The first scene of the 2nd episode (sitting around the poker table) went on for almost 10 minutes. "City Jerks"...classic

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Got around to it last night, and I absolutely loved it. The basic premise has to be pretty fresh, because he's pretty recently divorced, like this year, and he's divorced in the show.

Norton was talking about it on OnA with him, and it's almost like a backwards version of his writing process. It starts with him on stage telling some of the joke or anectdote, then it flashes to what is something that didn't actually happen to him, it's something that "kind of" happened to him. So the stories are embellishments of his reallity, so something odd or awkward will happen to him, and it's the way he percieves it in his head that makes it a thousand times worse, and then he expresses that perception as a joke.

It's great stuff. A lot of the awkward funny that seemed to take off when The Office got big, but done in a more natural way. And there's some borderline gross out stuff in there. And then it's sprinkled with some absurdity, like his date taking off in the helicopter.

And just a ton of really funny guy's contributing.

And an occasional serious take on stuff.

Maybe I'm reading in a little much on two episodes, but I love Louis, and I love this approach. And I love so many of the people involved.

a LAKER & a DODGER fan Lakerlove420's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Take Your Lumps
    Taped it, watched it today. Very funny...and a really fresh approach to the 30-minute show, very unique.

The first scene of the 2nd episode (sitting around the poker table) went on for almost 10 minutes. "City Jerks"...classic
    I was a big fan of Lucky Louie and I can already tell that I will watch this new show too. Louis C.K. is pretty funny. I liked the first episode but when I D.V.R.'d it I didn't record the 2nd episode I didn't know there was 2 of them. I'm sure it will be replayed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    Maybe I'm reading in a little much on two episodes, but I love Louis, and I love this approach. And I love so many of the people involved.
    It has great show written all over it...I hope it sticks around for a long time. I like how they're marketing it: "An Original Original Comedy Series" because that's exactly what it is.

Always Sunny and now Louie. FX is slowly becoming a comedy powerhouse.

The new season is decent so far, but weird as usual. Really awkward when he was trying to explain he's straight to that Cuban dude. :lool

this season has been weird that's for sure

one of the only shows i follow, just love the whole tone and mood of the episodes

I love this show. I just watched season 2 on netflix a couple weeks ago.

Nothing else like it on the tv. So honest and heartfelt but also funny and creative....amazing stuff, Louis ck is so charismatic because he seems like such a genuine no BS kind of guy. He will call out the bs but in a gentle logical way, love his stuff

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    Nothing else like it on the tv. So honest and heartfelt but also funny and creative....amazing stuff, Louis ck is so charismatic because he seems like such a genuine no BS kind of guy. He will call out the bs but in a gentle logical way, love his stuff
    A lot of that has to do with how it's shot. Very guerilla style. They only use one cam and a lot of the scenes and dialogue is done on the fly. I got a chance to work on it last year in a short scene with Joan Rivers. Didn't start watching the show until recently on netflix, great stuff. Same basic formula as Seinfeld with the stand up routine and 'nothing' (aka everyday life) being the subject matter, but it's grittier.