Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Saw a basketball once

Default Re: Handling the ball?

How do you dribble the ball with your whole hand with out your palm touching it and when I dribble with just my fingers I don't have enough control and when I dribble with my whole hand it slides off my palm and I can't get control either tips please!!!! Appreciate it

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Bballer360
    How do you dribble the ball with your whole hand with out your palm touching it and when I dribble with just my fingers I don't have enough control and when I dribble with my whole hand it slides off my palm and I can't get control either tips please!!!! Appreciate it
    Try doing kills daily. Kills are where you dribble high then slam the ball down and dribble low. I do these right handed, left handed then cross overs between the legs and behind the back. The ball sticks to my hand now

NBA Superstar

I've always tended to think about it as using the pads of my fingers. It sounds like you need to find a happy medium. As you've discovered, using fingertips alone doesn't work and having the ball entirely on your palm doesn't work. A natural dribble is going to involve your fingers and part of your hand (or palm, depending on what you declare your palm). A dribble should not be resting on the base of your hand (where it meets the wrist). You're likely going to just want to experiment for that comfortable "dribbling pocket", where the ball just feels right in your hand.

Saw a basketball once

How do I make my own thread?

How do I make my own thread?
    got to have a certain amount of posts.

Saw a basketball once

Hey guys I'm writing something that has nothing to do with the topic in here because I can't make post yet. I just wanted to know some tips for joining my juco team. See I never played organized ball before but I can play ball good just gotta work on the handles some more. Anyway I just wanna know if you guys can give me any tips on how to make the team and what to know n such. I really have a deep desire to play so can y'all give me some advice? Thanks

Saw a basketball once

?
    A

Saw a basketball once

Come on guys help me out

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease ClutchBucketz's Avatar

For me the major adjustments i needed to make was changing myself into a role player, force yourself to grab rebounds and do the little things.. Make sure your fitness is at a high enough level so you don't appear that you're struggling out there.

Saw a basketball once jerzymade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    A dribble should not be resting on the base of your hand (where it meets the wrist).
    That is probably the best way to describe the palm. THink of it as basically having the ball on your wrist. So if the ball is on that area then you will not have control. Everything else is fine, a drill which is overlooked by alot of older players is the no dribble ball wraps. I used those drills recently when I injured my ankle. I have a whole in home ball handling workout that takes about 20 minutes.
    Last edited by jerzymade; 10-30-2011 at 12:31 AM.

Learning to shoot layups

played over the weekend, the weather was nice in VA. Anyways my handle was trash, felt real loose and sloppy during the 5v5 game. Everyone kept saying i was carrying but it honestly didn't feel like i was. My handle is so inconsistent, some days ill be just fine pushing the ball up the floor doing what i want. Next day losing the ball, getting called for carries, getting stripped. Anybody else have a problem like this?

National High School Star

i like to shadow dribble against "pretend" defenders in a full court of half court setting...

starting from halfcourt, dribble hard to the basketball with a few moves in between as well as cutting corners and angles like a real setting. you cant predict how the defender will play you, but you can predict how you will react to certain situations..

if a double is coming from the left, spin away to the right and dribble hard , same from other directions but with between the leg crossovers, hesitations, behind the backs, etc.

1on1 full court against myself really helps my game.. one direction is nothing but layups and the other jumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by C_lake2802
    played over the weekend, the weather was nice in VA. Anyways my handle was trash, felt real loose and sloppy during the 5v5 game. Everyone kept saying i was carrying but it honestly didn't feel like i was. My handle is so inconsistent, some days ill be just fine pushing the ball up the floor doing what i want. Next day losing the ball, getting called for carries, getting stripped. Anybody else have a problem like this?
    Bend your knees all the time. Biggest mistake amateur ballhandlers make.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    Bend your knees all the time. Biggest mistake amateur ballhandlers make.
    Yeah ur right. but it feels uncomfortable to a degree. I know ur suppose to stay low, but should i find a comfortable medium, or just remain low as possible?

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by C_lake2802
    Yeah ur right. but it feels uncomfortable to a degree. I know ur suppose to stay low, but should i find a comfortable medium, or just remain low as possible?

Work on getting comfortable being low. Try to keep your shoulders below your defenders.