Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: I got a standing reach of 7 foot 6 at 5 foot 9.

I don't know how high i can jump right now and I'm not about to find out anytime soon

Decent college freshman theaussieguy's Avatar

I havn't been following the program much at all but i have taken a lot out of reading VJB. Before reading the VJB i really had no idea how to jump, i would usually try and lead with one leg which the VJB tells you not to do.

So over the last few weeks i have been perfecting my 2 footed power jump. I now have the strength to get down really low and maintain balance as i follow through with a little hop step. I used to just push straight away now i can wait and consciously bend my knees ever so slightly in an attempt to absorb contact. I now understand how our legs can act like rubberbands.

I feel the absorption and just as i am about to leave the ground from reactive reflex i push through the floor. I still need a fair bit of strength so i will need to do some squatting, however i finally am able to comprehend how to jump and i am now getting just below rim level consistantly when before i would have days where i couldn't even touch the backboard.

And all this has been just a result of reading the VJB, and picturing what i have do in my mind, and putting that into practice random times during the day. I feel i have recruited what fibres i have available and i am confident i will be at rim level in about a month.

feels good man

Learning to shoot layups ghettoracer's Avatar

although i have not weight trained as much as i wanted to (remember the re-occurring stiff back) i have gained about 2" over since i started hitting the weight racks more steadily. now from standing jump i can just barely touch the bottom of a 10 feet rim with my middle finger and my running 2 feet is about 2" over the rim now. :-) still down from my peak 10 years go which was ~5" over the rim. but at least i'm happy to report a slight gain/recovery in vertical.

So i havnt been doing any weight work still but i have just been doing my two footed jump every day and i have definately increased my vertical by at least 3 inches already so i can only imagine what that would mean if i were to start weights again.

I should also note that last year when i did weights for a good 4 months i was able to touch rim on a hoop that i know is higher than regulation i don't know how i forgot about this but when i look back on it i regret stopping weights because i would still have all that strength i would be hitting regulation every attempt.

Well anyway i havn't got any regulation hoops around my area to compare my jump on now but there is a hoop i think its about 9 foot 7 inches near my house. I can grab onto the rim of that now easily when it used to be difficult just to touch it. I feel really really excited about my progress i cant wait to hit the weights again.

Yea man just get some weights in there and you will take yourself to a new level yet again.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore Grafbag's Avatar

I've been practicing a bit now, going out and doing some squats, lunges and plyos. Don't have much weight though, only a couple of light dumbells and ankle weights. Still though, every time I train and then rest, I can actually notice a big increase in my jump pretty much right after (If say, I train for 2-3 days, rest for 2-3, then actually play a match).

I can consistently get high enough over the ring to grab now off one leg (about 3-4 inches over), but I'm still a couple of inches short of even touching the ring off a 2 leg jump. Would you guys know anything about that? Could my technique make that big of a difference, or would it only be a small factor?

Quote Originally Posted by Grafbag
    I've been practicing a bit now, going out and doing some squats, lunges and plyos. Don't have much weight though, only a couple of light dumbells and ankle weights. Still though, every time I train and then rest, I can actually notice a big increase in my jump pretty much right after (If say, I train for 2-3 days, rest for 2-3, then actually play a match).

I can consistently get high enough over the ring to grab now off one leg (about 3-4 inches over), but I'm still a couple of inches short of even touching the ring off a 2 leg jump. Would you guys know anything about that? Could my technique make that big of a difference, or would it only be a small factor?
    It's because your legs aren't strong enough. Remember, 2 leg jump is based off leg strength, and 1 leg jump is based more off elasticity/reactivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    It's because your legs aren't strong enough. Remember, 2 leg jump is based off leg strength, and 1 leg jump is based more off elasticity/reactivity.
    I'm def a 2 leg jumper .. cause i don't "know" how to jump with one leg.

Banned

My reach was 7 foot 11 inches (I'm six foot four) in high school, but my highest vert was only 24 or so inches, so I could never quite dunk. It's probably only 18 or so now.
    Last edited by magnax1; 10-25-2010 at 03:36 PM.

wooot can touch regulation off 2 feet at will now any day now i will be able to grab it.

So that would make my vertical atm about 30 inches. Now i just got to hit dem weights and see how far i can take this thing.