Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Default Anybody Ever Done Warehouse Work?

Just got a job at Amazon Warehouse. The warehouse is literally like 3 million square feet and has 5k employees (like 1.5k+ per shift). I'm wondering if anybody has any tips besides wearing a back brace. The recruit said I'll be doing the equivalent of 15-20 miles of power walking a day. He told the thinner people that they need to eat way more calories than before due to this. I'm happy I'll be able to lose a lot of weight probably and the hours+pay are very solid.

So any experienced warehouse peeps got anything for me?

Default Re: Anybody Ever Done Warehouse Work?

think they're opening up a warehouse in Jersey. Mind telling me how much $ your getting to start off? you can pm me the answer if you don't feel comfortable mentioning it in the thread. also what's their overtime policy? zero tolerance or what?

Pack a large meal for lunch and grab yourself some steeltoed boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Just got a job at Amazon Warehouse. The warehouse is literally like 3 million square feet and has 5k employees (like 1.5k+ per shift). I'm wondering if anybody has any tips besides wearing a back brace. The recruit said I'll be doing the equivalent of 15-20 miles of power walking a day. He told the thinner people that they need to eat way more calories than before due to this. I'm happy I'll be able to lose a lot of weight probably and the hours+pay are very solid.

So any experienced warehouse peeps got anything for me?
    I worked in a warehouse, but nothing near that size. But my suggestion is get very, very good shoes. Like the upper echelon New Balances.

I assume you'll be walking on a concrete floor. Did you ever hear that story about John Wooden? The first practice for newcomers at UCLA was all about how to put on your socks. He believed you needed to take care of your feet well to play basketball.

You probably also want to look into yoga or some other flexibility routine.

15-20 miles of power walking a day.

That actually seems horribly inefficient when I think about it.

happy for you that you got a job, and you can probably get fit at the same time. just be careful with your body you dont want to be paying for it when your in your 40s

Smile, you're on ISH Crystallas's Avatar

15-20 miles. That's basic case picking. You have a case picking job, and if your warehouse is in the 3m 'ft range, I'd say that you are picking around 20-50,000 skus. So if you need advice, familiarize yourself with the weights of the units and cases.

Nothing is going to really help you, as far as advise, other than what you will learn in the facility itself. Take note of the methods used by the best workers, because every detail matters to make your job easier and your productivity solid.

I'm happy I'll be able to lose a lot of weight probably
    I was a NYC bike messenger one summer in college. Got in the best shape of my life. My basketball game made a quantum leap. One day hit my regular pickup court and got into an outgoing game. I was playing the passing lanes and double-teaming like prime Larry Bird. Had like 4-5 steals that game. I also found I could get to rim easier and what my defender did didn't matter that much to my shot. I was just feeling really, really good that day. Afterwards all these guys came up to me and asked what team I played for. They thought I was on a college team. Just completely felt in the zone that day.

Injured my knee shortly after that and never played like that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystallas
    15-20 miles. That's basic case picking. You have a case picking job, and if your warehouse is in the 3m 'ft range, I'd say that you are picking around 20-50,000 skus. So if you need advice, familiarize yourself with the weights of the units and cases.

Nothing is going to really help you, as far as advise, other than what you will learn in the facility itself. Take note of the methods used by the best workers, because every detail matters to make your job easier and your productivity solid.
    Good advice. Don't try and reinvent the wheel. Ask other employees the best way to do things so you save time (and footsteps). If there are forklifts or stockpickers you will probably be required to wear steel toed shoes. Get some good inserts and don't hesitate to pay a little extra up front for better shoes. You don't want bad shoes on a concrete floor. Good luck with the new job!

I worked as a picker when I was 17-20. You can definitely cancel your gym subscription.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Thanks for all the thoughtful advice guys and I'm taking it all in. I was told flat shoes will kill me so definitely need to look into those new balance. No Gunz it's 12 an hour which isnt good but in this economy cant bitch. Especially because its 40 plus hours with OT and benefits. Its seasonal with a chance for permanent hiring. I have buddies with masters having to take jobs for similar pay sadly. This is temporary while I work on PC repair training and certs though.

Btw Red I will bring a big lunch for sure. Wonder how many calories I'll be burning at my 240 pounds... The Amazon manager flat out said "I'm not going to lie to you guys this will probably be the hardest job of your life".

Prepare to get Popeye arms and a smaller waist. The key to being able to do the job is to be efficient with your movements. Don't waste any motion. Practice good lifting technique, as getting lazy can lead to bad habits and injury. Stay as hydrated as possible. If it is hot, get yourself a hydration backpack.

And above all else,

Stay Wavy.

oh..thought you said whorehouse ( leaves thread)

Thanks for all the thoughtful advice guys and I'm taking it all in. I was told flat shoes will kill me so definitely need to look into those new balance. No Gunz it's 12 an hour which isnt good but in this economy cant bitch. Especially because its 40 plus hours with OT and benefits. Its seasonal with a chance for permanent hiring. I have buddies with masters having to take jobs for similar pay sadly. This is temporary while I work on PC repair training and certs though.

Btw Red I will bring a big lunch for sure. Wonder how many calories I'll be burning at my 240 pounds... The Amazon manager flat out said "I'm not going to lie to you guys this will probably be the hardest job of your life".
    $12/hr for seasonal work is pretty reasonable.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Some already suggested the most important thing