Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Serious playground baller

Default Outdoor ballers, what do you do about the sun?

I've been playing outdoors on Saturday mornings and the sun can be brutal when its coming up. I've tried sunglasses but they bounce up and down on my face. Are there any good shades out there that will stay put? I'd rather not pay Oakley prices because I'm afraid they will get knocked off and stepped on

Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: Outdoor ballers, what do you do about the sun?

Yea if you wear glasses playing bball there gonna get broke no doubt at some point. I would maybe play with the Amare Stoudemire glasses. Nike makes some transition ones http://www.nikevision.com/transitions so these probably be your best bet

NBA Superstar

A couple of things I operate by in regards to outdoor basketball:

1) I tend to play later in the day, between 5 and 8 PM. The is less intense and often hidden behind trees, buildings, etc.

2) If I play during the day, I try to choose a rim not pointed in the direction of the sun (obvious, I know).

3) In one case, I came across a court made out of white pavement. The sunlight reflecting off the court was blinding. As such, I suppose looking for darker-than-white concrete or blacktop would be advisable in terms of avoiding sunlight in eyes.

My eyes can be somewhat sensitive to light, but I've never worn sunglasses to play basketball, regardless of time of day.

Make sure you don't get sunglass tanlines and look like a complete fool when you're off the court

As far as I'm concerned all you can do is avoid looking at the sun. Limits what you can do while shooting around, but it's either that or get burnt retinas or look like a tool with sunglasses or sunglasses tan lines.

Not airballing my layups anymore

lol I am glad I don't have this problem. I used to play ball all day in the outdoors but now I joined a gym and play indoors and it's great. I do miss the elements though and the wind factor.

7-9 in the morning

4-6 in the afternoon/evening

u suck it up and leearn to ball with the sun. like pierce says. true ballers can play thru anythin

Quote Originally Posted by C_lake2802
    Yea if you wear glasses playing bball there gonna get broke no doubt at some point. I would maybe play with the Amare Stoudemire glasses. Nike makes some transition ones http://www.nikevision.com/transitions so these probably be your best bet
    those are some sexy ass shades cot damn!

pick the rim facing away or play later in the day is my advice

if youre playing pickup winner usually gets to pick the way he goes so i guess thats extra incentive to win

Take off your shirt. Trust me it feels amazing. Or just wear a sleeveless tee, that's how I get through it

Edit: oh wait this is about sunlight

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
    Take off your shirt. Trust me it feels amazing. Or just wear a sleeveless tee, that's how I get through it
    Under Armour makes the best sleeveless/tanks.

if your hoopin outside on a saturday in the morning, then your obviously playing by urself. and if you intend to play byurself then dont play at all, especially if you cant handle the sun

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    if your hoopin outside on a saturday in the morning, then your obviously playing by urself. and if you intend to play byurself then dont play at all, especially if you cant handle the sun
    i prefer playin alone (workin on my game) then playin against scrubs that go to local ball courts

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle

lol, there are 8-20 guys that play there every Saturday. We usually play from 7-9 but sometimes play till 10 and sometimes start at 6 a.m. Most of the guys are late 20's to mid 30s with guys who have played college and even some that have played overseas and in the D league. When you get older and have kids you can't spend all day at the park.