Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Talking "b-b-b-but Modern Nutrition" (PRIME Willis Reed posterized by nameless 6-3 guard)

http://youtu.be/5SV51pPKpWk

I am sitting on a lot of dunks and athletic plays like this in my archive... and we live in a world where Allen Iverson was addicted to McDonalds, Rodman was on every drug known to man, and Lamar Odom has a candy addiction... yet I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say "but modern nutrition!" like it's a secret key ingredient to creating athleticism

Honestly, from what I see - freak athletes are freak athletes, simple genetics. And from footage I have, it looks like they've been a part of EVERY nba era, they aren't something new.

I get the idea young fans see small super athletic guards like Westbrook or Rose doing their beastly dunks today and assuming that sh*t would be unfathomable in the 60's/70's - like it would stun the crowd or shell shock that eras defenders or some sh*t. But honestly, it's been done before.

Inb4 enraged teenage 60's/70's era haters

5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: "b-b-b-but Modern Nutrition" (PRIME Willis Reed posterized by nameless 6-3 guard)

Nasty. Fred Carter used to be announcer on one of the major networks. Willis probably caught him in an alley way.

Default Re: "b-b-b-but Modern Nutrition" (PRIME Willis Reed posterized by nameless 6-3 guard)

not sure about 'posterizing'...looked like willis reed turned to help on defense and by then it was too late, and he didnt want to pick up a foul.

Nice reach at trying to diss a New York Knick player. Best of luck hating

Local High School Star TheeBeast's Avatar

We also have new medical advances, just look at what the German knee procedure did for Kobe

Quote Originally Posted by Knicksfever2010
    not sure about 'posterizing'...looked like willis reed turned to help on defense and by then it was too late, and he didnt want to pick up a foul.

Nice reach at trying to diss a New York Knick player. Best of luck hating

Willis is one of my fav players, hating on him isn't my agenda at all. Showcasing athleticism from the era he played in (which ultimately can only serve to add credence to his reputation) is what I'm on about.

Quote Originally Posted by TheeBeast
    We also have new medical advances, just look at what the German knee procedure did for Kobe
    Yes, THAT is legitimate stuff. I have nothing wrong with people using medical technology as reasoning for things like increasing player longevity or reducing injury severity. That isn't what I'm on about, I'm talking about people who think that 60's/70's/80's players were somehow less well-fed and therefore less athletic. The "nutrition" argument is totally baseless. Many players today still have sh*t diets, and players back than didn't have Taco Bell... and elite athleticism was present in both eras. The "modern nutrition" thing is just a weak argument
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 08-22-2012 at 12:09 AM.

3-time NBA All-Star

Not sure about the "nutrition" argument, but players SMOKED back then. Even Chamberlain did so.

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    Not sure about the "nutrition" argument, but players SMOKED back then. Even Chamberlain did so.
    And players smoke today. It just isn't tobacco.

http://www.unionversity.com/winning-...56-years-apart

Things change. I also read some article about how middle schoolers are sprinting faster than gold medalists in the early 1900s.

Quote Originally Posted by FF1
    http://www.unionversity.com/winning-...56-years-apart

Things change. I also read some article about how middle schoolers are sprinting faster than gold medalists in the early 1900s.
    Oh, cool, did you happen to also come upon the article about 50,000 year old aborigines that were sprinting as fast as Usain Bolt in their bare feet?

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    http://youtu.be/5SV51pPKpWk

I am sitting on a lot of dunks and athletic plays like this in my archive... and we live in a world where Allen Iverson was addicted to McDonalds, Rodman was on every drug known to man, and Lamar Odom has a candy addiction... yet I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say "but modern nutrition!" like it's a secret key ingredient to creating athleticism

Honestly, from what I see - freak athletes are freak athletes, simple genetics. And from footage I have, it looks like they've been a part of EVERY nba era, they aren't something new.

I get the idea young fans see small super athletic guards like Westbrook or Rose doing their beastly dunks today and assuming that sh*t would be unfathomable in the 60's/70's - like it would stun the crowd or shell shock that eras defenders or some sh*t. But honestly, it's been done before.

Inb4 enraged teenage 60's/70's era haters
    gotta disagree with you.

Modern nutrition in general has improved vastly since then. Hell

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous neg
    you should go back to hating on euroleague loser, its all that youre good for, pathetic miserable lowlife

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

The nutrition part is ridiculous. You think these ghetto stars were getting a good diet? Fast food isn't gonna make you jump higher

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

The NBA has always had great athletes since it first began. No surprise. Guys back in the 60's, 70's and past decades were all good to great athletes. Sure they didn't have the modern training, it was just natural gifts. It shouldn't surprise people that guys back than were just as athletic as guys today.

Cant tell me these old dudes were downing protein shakes, creatine and whatever else as well as working out on the same equipment and with same programs as modern day athletes.
    I think some ISHERs are not aware of what it takes diet/exercise wise to be an NBA player.