Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: Column: A new Dirk Nowitzki? Not so much

Good stuff. I guess this is the best place to post this:

http://www.backpicks.com/2011/05/18/...dition-part-i/

Some key parts.

Dirk has shot over 60% TS in 44.2% of his playoff games. The highest percentage out of any player since 1991. Wade is 2nd at 43.8%.

Now for the really good stuff:

When Dirk has a poor game shooting. Under 50% TS....The Mavs have won only 16.7% of their playoff games. That is by far the worst win percentage compared to other players when shooting under 50% TS.

Other examples of win percentage when shooting under 50% TS:

Lebron's teams win 36.4%
    Wade's teams win 31.3%
    Kobe's teams win 45.5%

Again.....Dirks' teams win 16.7% of the time. Dallas is 5-25 in the playoff games this has happened.

Just another statistical view on how much the Mavs have historically relied on Dirk. If Dirk has an off night, the Mavs win less than any other team led by a superstar player since 1991.

This is why so many of us have tried to explain the lack of help Dirk has had compared to the other greats. This is what happens when there is no true reliable 2nd option.

Anyway, just thought this was a good place to post this new info. So glad Dirk is finally getting his credit. I hope he keeps it up.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 05-19-2011 at 08:48 AM.

Local High School Star Nero Tulip's Avatar

Default Re: Commentary: A new Dirk Nowitzki? Not so much

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalNemesis
    Good read. This is what DMAVS41 and other Maverick fans have been saying all along. Its no secret Dirk has been pretty spectacular throughout his entire career, but people like to label him a "choker" or "soft" for no legit reason. Dirk has always been great in the playoffs.
    I mostly remember him bashing the Mavs and saying Dirk is not that great, so it's funny to read that. Must be the worst fan ever if he's really a Dallas fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Tulip
    I mostly remember him bashing the Mavs and saying Dirk is not that great, so it's funny to read that. Must be the worst fan ever if he's really a Dallas fan.

NBA Superstar

I am thankful for the spread of the gospel. Dirk is magnificent.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Good stuff. I guess this is the best place to post this:

http://www.backpicks.com/2011/05/18/...dition-part-i/

Some key parts.

Dirk has shot over 60% TS in 44.2% of his playoff games. The highest percentage out of any player since 1991. Wade is 2nd at 43.8%.

Now for the really good stuff:

When Dirk has a poor game shooting. Under 50% TS....The Mavs have won only 16.7% of their playoff games. That is by far the worst win percentage compared to other players when shooting under 50% TS.

Other examples of win percentage when shooting under 50% TS:

Lebron's teams win 36.4%
    Wade's teams win 31.3%
    Kobe's teams win 45.5%

Again.....Dirks' teams win 16.7% of the time. Dallas is 5-25 in the playoff games this has happened.

Just another statistical view on how much the Mavs have historically relied on Dirk. If Dirk has an off night, the Mavs win less than any other team led by a superstar player since 1991.

This is why so many of us have tried to explain the lack of help Dirk has had compared to the other greats. This is what happens when there is no true reliable 2nd option.

Anyway, just thought this was a good place to post this new info. So glad Dirk is finally getting his credit. I hope he keeps it up.
    Werd.

Banned

now to write an article on how Lebron is not a quitter...

Serious playground baller

Fantastic article.

It just illustrates what I have always said, check statistics because one's memory is worthless, and rings are overrated.

We remember the last sportscenter highlight, or the last game, or remember only a player's makes at the buzzer, not the dozens of misses. This is why you check stats because Dirk didn't become awesome over night. This isnt a coming out party. He's an incredible basketball player an has been doing his thing year after year. One of the most consistent basketball players ever.

Secondly rings are overrated. A guy scoring 30+ on 50%+ shooting is doing everything he can to help his team. KG is KG is Kg. The difference is he got incredible help, but at an advanced stage of his career.

This why I will laugh when LBJ goes from good player to all time legend because of one stupid ring. LBJ is LBJ is LBJ, but now he has talent around him. I wish people would look at a player with a more analytical eye rather than just wait for that piece of jewelry to crown them. Circumstances, more so than player ability, dictate rings. But individual greatness is all about the player.

Quote Originally Posted by LBJ4MVP23
    Fantastic article.

It just illustrates what I have always said, check statistics because one's memory is worthless, and rings are overrated.

We remember the last sportscenter highlight, or the last game, or remember only a player's makes at the buzzer, not the dozens of misses. This is why you check stats because Dirk didn't become awesome over night. This isnt a coming out party. He's an incredible basketball player an has been doing his thing year after year. One of the most consistent basketball players ever.

Secondly rings are overrated. A guy scoring 30+ on 50%+ shooting is doing everything he can to help his team. KG is KG is Kg. The difference is he got incredible help, but at an advanced stage of his career.

This why I will laugh when LBJ goes from good player to all time legend because of one stupid ring. LBJ is LBJ is LBJ, but now he has talent around him. I wish people would look at a player with a more analytical eye rather than just wait for that piece of jewelry to crown them. Circumstances, more so than player ability, dictate rings. But individual greatness is all about the player.

Did you see my post about how little help Dirk has had compared to the other great players since 1991. Its a joke. Check out that article.....its staggering how dependent the Mavs are on Dirk. Its significantly more than any player of the last 20 years.

Meh...
    Everyone who agrees with this article didn't need it because they already knew Dirk has been a great performer. Everyone else will go back to labelling him a choker the next time Dallas loses a game, regardless of how many time he's played well, calling him "soft" etc. NBA fans are some of the most fickle minded ones I've ever seen (and especially ISH)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    I think he may be right here, man.

I said the same thing on my Facbook during the game. And I quote " People act like Dirk hasn't been doing this every year of his career"

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    "He speak fluent EVERYTHING.....He doesn't Bleep and Blop, he make a English to you......and then a he dunks on it !!"

"He does not just think outside the box.......he eats the box, and poops it out, and then makes a milkshake, and makes you drink that !!"

But in all seriousness, that is a good article except for the Webber hating. Webber was a great player.

Nowitzki has been a great player for over a decade ,and is just now hitting his full peak, moving from a great player to a legend.

Decent college freshman

terrible article considering how him and Terry both came out and said that Avery changed Dirk by making him post up more and shoot less 3s. He got him to emphasize playing D, leading and being tough and strong down low. He's still a shoooter/scorer in the end, but he's a much more complete player now.

I am the First Officer ImmortalNemesis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Tulip
    You clearly have an agenda against him. If anything, he gets a lot of heat for being a Dirk fan. He constantly gets trashed on by the board (most of them are Laker fans) for defending Dirk Nowitzki. For example... He kept on saying Dirk was better than Kobe in the clutch and the entire board laughed at him. You don't know shit. He also said when Dirk retires he'll be a top 25 player ever, and people laughed at him again.