NBA rookie of the year

Default Is Vito Corleone's rise to power included in the novel?

We all know that there's at least a 25 year chronological gap between the "Deniro" and "Brando" Corleones. From the movies alone, we do indeed know that he had become a ruthless crime boss just based on Michael's story alone (Johnny Fontaine) or the "Pop's way of doing things are a thing of the past". Just curious about whether it's covered.

Default Re: Is Vito Corleone's rise to power included in the novel?

Quote Originally Posted by Tarik One
    We all know that there's at least a 25 year chronological gap between the "Deniro" and "Brando" Corleones. From the movies alone, we do indeed know that he had become a ruthless crime boss just based on Michael's story alone (Johnny Fontaine) or the "Pop's way of doing things are a thing of the past". Just curious about whether it's covered.
    Godfather II is all we know about his early years and the film makes it clear that by knocking off the old, hated boss of the neighborhood, Vito replaces him in a more benevolent way. That is not from a book, it was written for the screen for the sequel. The film version of The Godfather is significantly better than the book. Coppola collaborated with Mario Puzo on both screenplays and from his contributions, you can tell that Coppola is a gift screenwriter. The novel is a lot trashier. Later on Puzo said he had wished he had written it better.

In the 80's Mario Puzo wrote another book that features the Corleones, but it deals with Michael's exile and is mainly about a Sicilian bandit. Neither Puzo didn't have had any real familiarity with the american mafia beyond the bookies and loan sharks he owed money to, so the portrayal of the Don's is mostly mythmaking, which is one of the reasons the movie works so well. Coppola was raised in a middle-class artistic family and had almost no knowledge of the Mafia.

   

interesting.

on a side note-- the writer / director of that brilliant japanese movie "tampopo" went on to make a movie about the yakuza and was promptly murdered for doing so.

doesn't get much more real than that.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Godfather II is all we know about his early years and the film makes it clear that by knocking off the old, hated boss of the neighborhood, Vito replaces him in a more benevolent way. That is not from a book, it was written for the screen for the sequel. The film version of The Godfather is significantly better than the book. Coppola collaborated with Mario Puzo on both screenplays and from his contributions, you can tell that Coppola is a gift screenwriter. The novel is a lot trashier. Later on Puzo said he had wished he had written it better.
    This part is in the books, though with just that amount of detail. I never saw the movies and i knew that just from reading the books.

Banned

Yes. But it's not as detailed as the movie.

Also the chick Sonny is cheating with in the beginning, it turns out her vag is too loose and Sonny was the only man who could please her because he has such a massive ****.

Luckily she meets a doctor who gives her vag surgery and then marries him.

Also Johnny Fontane IS A BITCH.

Yep, that part is in the book, no lies. It's very indepth. One of the best books I ever read, atleast from an entertainment standpoint.

JUST READ IT SON
    Last edited by Nick Young; 06-17-2014 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by B-hoop
    This part is in the books, though with just that amount of detail. I never saw the movies and i knew that just from reading the books.
    You're Vito killing Fanucci is in the book.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=acy...dolini&f=false

it's been a while since I read it