Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
    NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Piston draft prospects

It's about time you chimed in

NBA lottery pick

[QUOTE]The Biyombo workout was interesting as a rare public look at a prospect who has not played in months, after splitting with his team in Spain, and was barely known in the United States even when he was in a lineup. It just wasn

NBA lottery pick

And the other guy I'm scared of....

The Motiejunas workout was better but hardly worth the top of the resume either. While he showed the agility and a shooting touch uncommon at 6-feet-11 power forward, the lottery-bound power forward appeared tired to those who had watched him during the season.Davis Bertrans, on the bubble for the first round and guaranteed money, pulled out of the camp because his team had a game in the Slovenian playoffs about a three-hour drive away. He may come for an individual workout on Sunday. NBA.com
    Motiejunas has bust written all over him. Watch his tapes. There's nothing of worth there. All they are is a couple of dunks that aren't that exciting. They show no skill and most of them don't show much of him even on a basketball court.... they're mostly interviews. The team that ends up drafting him is going to be very upset with that pick in a few years.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I've been seeing a lot of mediocre reports on Bismack lately. I think he could end up being a bust in this draft. While rebounding a defense are important, not being an offensive threat is really a scary thing. There's only been a couple of players in the league who have been able to pull that off. Bad hands for a big guy scare me too. I've been reading a lot of this about him lately. That can lead to costly turnovers. I'll say it again. He had one good game against a bunch of people smaller than him. I'm not going to freak out over that. At this point I don't see him doing much in the NBA. His stock has been gradually falling as these workouts are taking place.
    Eh, finding out he can't shoot jumpers shouldn't lower his stock. Nothing about his defensive scouting report has changed. I'd be surprised if he isn't a Tyson Chandler-esque type player at the least.

i think valanciunas should be the pick. he has the potential (kinda meaningless phrase in a rather lackluster draft class) to be a starting center for this team, and would pair up well with monroe.

the main reason teams are seeming to shy away from him is his european contract, for which a buyout is being negotiated. i think it's a good opportunity for Gores to buy him out and prove he's not afraid to spend money to improve his team.

tristan thompson would also be good here, as his great athleticism and defensive presence would pair up well with monroe. he's also a lefty like monroe.

as far as second rounders go, i'd like to see davis bertans from latvia. skinny as all get out, but rather quick, solid defensively, and has a pure shooting stroke. daye is just too slow and weak to ever be more than a bit player at SF/SG

i like greg smith out of fresno state with the later pick. smith is huge with enormous hands and could really add some toughness to a SOFT frontcourt

Decent college freshman

Good stuff, but a few issues.

For one, Gores cannot buy out Valanciunas. An NBA team can only cover the first 500K, or else Rubio would have been here years ago(probably).

Second, Bertans is going to withdraw from the draft if he doesn't get a 1st round promise. Rumors are abound about the Spurs. Good talent, though similar to Daye.

I do like Valanciunas though. He's a legit 2 way C. Not a 20 ppg guy, but a Chandler/Noah with better O. That's damn good. He's young, a bit weak and a bit raw, so he'll require more patience than say, Monroe.

My dream for the draft is to come away with 2 of these players. One of Biyombo,Val,Tyler(in that order) and one of Singleton,Morris, if not both. I'd love to trade 8 for 14 and 23, take Singleton and Morris and move up from 33 for Tyler. Tyler is going to be a star IMO.

NBA lottery pick

Tyler has had some good workouts and it seems like he might have made his way into the 1st round. I've said all along I'd really like to see us get him or Johnson with that 2nd round pick.

I really don't want 2 first round picks. That means we have to give two people guaranteed contracts and it very well could be neither one of them turn into anything good.

Biyombo is a little lower on my list now. He's really only had that one good game. His workouts haven't been great and he hasn't been competing against any of the other top players from what I've read. I think rebounding does translate in the NBA and I do realize he has a nice wingspan but he's still only 6'9". I'd rather have Valanciunas at this point. We just have to hope Cleveland doesn't draft him at #4. There's a good chance he could go before #8. The other thing that could actually be a benefit to us is Valanciunas may not be able to play this year. While he wouldn't have much of an impact right away probably anyhow, it does mean without a major trade that we'll probably be in about the same spot as we are this year. I think that actually speeds up this rebuilding process. Then we can get an impact player next year in a much deeper draft. We'll have plenty of young talent at that point and should have more trading chips that can be used to get another quality player here. For the long term I'd much rather be in the lottery again next year rather than finishing .500. Finishing with a 7 or 8 seed in the playoffs next year scares me more than anything. We'll be stuck in mediocrity for a long time if that happens.

http://www.nbadraft.net/international-withdrawals

Apparently, Bertans is still in the draft. His game does seem similar to Daye's, but he seem so much more fluid and smooth.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by dealer77
    http://www.nbadraft.net/international-withdrawals

Apparently, Bertans is still in the draft. His game does seem similar to Daye's, but he seem so much more fluid and smooth.
    Daye was the 15th pick in a much deeper draft. Bertans is considered a 2nd rounder by most in a draft that isn't that deep (could be the worst in a long time). I have to think Daye is the more gifted of the two. Unless we're trading Daye I don't think it makes sense to add a less talented version of him to the roster. Lee, Cole, Johnson, and Tyler all seem to have more upside to me.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    Tyler has had some good workouts and it seems like he might have made his way into the 1st round. I've said all along I'd really like to see us get him or Johnson with that 2nd round pick.

I really don't want 2 first round picks. That means we have to give two people guaranteed contracts and it very well could be neither one of them turn into anything good.
    This idea of the horrible guaranteed contracts being a negative is ridiculously silly. The guys in the 20s make like a million bucks. It is by far the best value contract in the NBA. Minimal risk, sky high upside. A team in our market and with our current cap situation needs to build through the draft. We aren't getting any #1 picks any time soon most likely. We need to add as many 1st round talents as we can IMO. Even if 1 out of ever 2 or 3 becomes a starter you're hitting a homerun. They are easy contracts to use for future trades too.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus
    This idea of the horrible guaranteed contracts being a negative is ridiculously silly. The guys in the 20s make like a million bucks. It is by far the best value contract in the NBA. Minimal risk, sky high upside. A team in our market and with our current cap situation needs to build through the draft. We aren't getting any #1 picks any time soon most likely. We need to add as many 1st round talents as we can IMO. Even if 1 out of ever 2 or 3 becomes a starter you're hitting a homerun. They are easy contracts to use for future trades too.
    I disagree about them being the best value contracts in the NBA. I would argue the guys who sign for the vets minimum or a portion of the MLE (under the current CBA) are the best value. They are proven talents making just a few million. A guy who may never end up being anything making that kind of money is a waste. In another draft I might be for it. This draft doesn't have that many impact players. It's not the draft you want a bunch of picks in . Typically you'll see teams that trade out of the the end of the first round and into the 2nd round for that reason. Especially with teams who are already at the cap, as the Pistons pretty much are. We don't have a bunch of cap space.

Also as far as trading those guys they really aren't worth much. They don't make enough money to bring in a talented player and without being proven their stock isn't as high as it could be. If we tried to package Austin Daye, Terrico White, and Jonas Jerebko we wouldn't get all that much in return. I like how Cleveland loaded up with lottery picks. Of course they had a lot of luck on their side that helped to make them high lottery picks, but that's a good strategy. It's more of a long term thing since players will need to develop but I like what they did there. I don't like trading for a bunch of lower first round picks in a draft that doesn't have much talent. Potentially in a draft like next year it would work. We'll be lucky if there's 2 all-stars in this entire draft. I think it would also be stretching it to say there will be 10 career starters in this draft.

I know what you're thinking about getting young talent and I agree to an extent. FA's aren't knocking down the door to come to Detroit. This year isn't the year to get it done with the draft though. If anything I say move up to try to get a real impact player. Otherwise we're better off trying to make a trade this year (near the deadline). I think if someone wants Rip they either do it on draft day and Detroit moves up or nobody will want to take on that contract and they'll let Detroit pay it until the deadline and then they'll move on him. A 3 way deal on draft day with Minnesota and Cleveland is the best way to move up, though if Cleveland wants Kanter at #2 it wouldn't be in our interest.

NBA lottery pick

Chad Ford: Bismack Backlash: In wake of shaky Euro workout, Biyombo now offering to work out for few teams in the US - Pistons & Knicks both got calls Twitter
    I like to see this. It's about time this kid is going to work out. With the way he limited himself he now sees his stock falling, especially when you only do a few and they aren't good. All teams need to see a lot more of this guy. His experience is really limited. The one thing I can't stress enough is he had one good game against a bunch of under sized guys. I need to see more before I'm convinced. I don't like the Tyson Chandler comparisions because Bismack isn't 7'1" tall.

[QUOTE]What do you say to the critics who say you are too slow to defend wings in the NBA? Do you think you

Good college starter

Decent college freshman

He's not 7'1, but he's longer, possibly still growing(see medical reports on his age) more athletic and has a lot more bounce and intensity in his game. Tyson is excellent, but he doesn't cover the ground that Biyombo does. Ben Wallace or super Joel Anthony works(if Joel has more athleticism, intensity and was as developed as he is not 5-10 years ago)

I just do not care about his workouts. He has absoluetly zero skill right now, may always be that way. I want him for what he is. He will make all NBA defensive 1st teams. He is ready to start right now and be a plus defender. There is not one criticism of his defensive game.

I just think he can make an incredible amount of impact on that side. Look at a guy like Javale Mcgee, who we were discussing in the main forum. Elite shot blocker and rebounder due to his athleticism, but doesn't have 1% of Biyombo's defensive intelligence or motor. He is a TERRIBLE defender despite his physical characteristics.

NBA lottery pick

With everything I've seen on the big guys workouts lately it makes me scared to even take one, as much as I know that's our biggest need and that's what I really would like. I think Kanter will be a guy who is good and could be a career starter but outside of that there's a lot of question marks. It'll be very interesting to see how the cards get played out on Thursday.