Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Decent college freshman InfiniteBaskets's Avatar

Default Bouncing ball of defender's head/face... disrespectful?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrhRopvkCDg

Video above is of the professor bouncing the ball off a defender's face. The guy gets offended and tries to fight him.

What are your thoughts on someone doing this in a pickup game or organized play?

Personally I feel it is disrespectful to purposefully throw the ball at a defender unless you are either trying to deflect it off him out of bounds or you are in bounding and your defender has his back to you, so you bounce it off his back for an easy score/attack.

If someone just bounced the ball at my face in a pickup game I'd be offended and would feel disrespected, but probably wouldn't try to start a fight. I would get much more physical on defense.

If you bounce the ball off my head twice, or try to. I'm firing off a baseball pass into the back of your head when you're not looking.

Default Re: Bouncing ball of defender's head/face... disrespectful?

Definitely disrespectful. I could see many fights happening at the rec if people did that.

It's retarded and takes no skill.

who does this anymore?

Yeah unless it's something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRlBMmZPLXk
    but even then I wouldn't like someone to do that in a pickup game.

Local High School Star TheReturn's Avatar

They are 'pro' streetball players.. the chinese dude shoulda known what he was going to get. It's the brand of basketball they play, whether or not you guys approve of it, that's not really relevant. They shouldn't have played that game if you don't like that kind of ball.

#Dre Day in Sac Town andremiller07's Avatar

It's lame, cheap and gay and whoever does it should have there ass kicked

Serious playground baller

Really? It's streetball isn't the whole point to make the defender look bad? I mean if the professor was 7' tall and dunked on a shorter defender it would take no skill and would get the crowd excited why is this so bad?

It's very unsportsmanlike. I probably steal the ball if a person tries to bounce the ball in my face.

It is understandable in the context of And1 style stuff but if you try that in a pick-up game you are asking for an ass whooping.

Quote Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
    Really? It's streetball isn't the whole point to make the defender look bad? I mean if the professor was 7' tall and dunked on a shorter defender it would take no skill and would get the crowd excited why is this so bad?
    Ok. Go try that at your local court in a pick up game and see what happens

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by TylerOO
    I trust he meant it's "streetball", as in the And1 derivative of normal streetball. I suppose I can't speak for him though.

Typically speaking, in a regular basketball setting (gym, street, rec, otherwise), bouncing the ball off an opponent's head is poor form, in my opinion. I'm a little cooler with it in goofy settings like And1 or NBA Rookie Games (though Carlos Boozer would beg to differ).

I'm not really sure who The Professor is affiliated with these days so I can't really tell if that's a true game he's playing over there or part of an And1 type of entertainment tour. If it's Globetrotterish, I do not object as much. But if it was supposed to be a real contest, I could see the issue. It seemed to be the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    It's retarded and takes no skill.
    You know the funny thing? I think it actually does take some skill. I say this only because I fondly recall the streetball era of the early 2000's and I know I've seen dozens of folks try the "off the heezy" goofing around with friends. But what they never seemed to know was that it took a bit of touch. It wasn't just throwing it off another guy's noggin. For years it seemed I'd see a guy catch a rock to the face courtesy of his And1 loving friend. It's more of a "forehead drop" than head bounce. But that's all beside the overarching point.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 07-13-2013 at 01:01 AM.

I seen a fight happen because of this.

Dude bounced the ball off homies head. He didn't lie it and let him know. Homie said he does whatever he wants then BAM, scrap. Nighas gettin' it in.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by TylerOO

I've done it just goofing off but compared to a lot of the guys I play with I look more like an And1 player. I think it depends on the player too, I play kind of flashy for an old guy and don't run my mouth a lot. Most of the guys I play with are good Christian guys so for the most part everyone keeps their tempers in check.
    Last edited by 01amberfirewv; 07-13-2013 at 02:25 PM.

a ton of the moves you see in an and1 style game like this are disrespectful.

isnt the entire point of and1 to clown on your opponents with absurd bball moves?