Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Michael Beasley for PF or SF?

Considering Beasley's 6'8" size, strength, quickness, and face up shooting skill, would you want the Heat to develop Beasley as a PF or SF? Some people are saying they want him to become a SF, since there are abundant talented PFs available in 2009 & 2010 for the Heat to sign.

I on the other other hand disagree. I think in the next 2 to 3 years when he bulks up and works on his game he's going to look alot more like a PF. Beasley already looks like a solid rebounder to me, and you can see he's making progress defending other PFs. Right now I notice he plays well from the perimeter, but if we had better floor spacing and he positioned himself from the high post it would give for less time for help defenders to step in for the offensive foul. He'd still be able to sink jumpers all day when they play off him, but when they play close up on him, he'll be more sucessful at driving into the lane without it being clogged.

So for me I like him as a PF... what do you guys think?

Default Re: Michael Beasley for PF or SF?

I think Beasley in the future will play as good at the SF as on PF. Question is where does the Heat need him to play.

Decent college freshman InfiniteBaskets's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86
    Considering Beasley's 6'8" size, strength, quickness, and face up shooting skill, would you want the Heat to develop Beasley as a PF or SF? Some people are saying they want him to become a SF, since there are abundant talented PFs available in 2009 & 2010 for the Heat to sign.

I on the other other hand disagree. I think in the next 2 to 3 years when he bulks up and works on his game he's going to look alot more like a PF. Beasley already looks like a solid rebounder to me, and you can see he's making progress defending other PFs. Right now I notice he plays well from the perimeter, but if we had better floor spacing and he positioned himself from the high post it would give for less time for help defenders to step in for the offensive foul. He'd still be able to sink jumpers all day when they play off him, but when they play close up on him, he'll be more sucessful at driving into the lane without it being clogged.

So for me I like him as a PF... what do you guys think?

I'd rather see Beasley attacking the basket as a SF but I don't know if he will ever develop the quickness that other SF all-stars have. I don't expect him to be as athletic as LeBron but will Beasley ever run the floor or be as quick as Marion? Beasley can jump, but his perimeter game consists mostly of a silky jump shot and not much of a drive game.

Because of that, I'd say he's better off bulking up and playing the PF spot, unless some how he's able to become a whole lot quicker in the next couple of years. If he can be as good as David West, that would be amazing. What we need to do is sign/ sign and trade for an above average starting center. But right now those are really lacking in supply. We need someone at the level below the Yaos, Dwights of this league. I think someone like Emeka Okafor would be the perfect fit, if we can get him for the right price. Dump Marion after this season.

Chalmers
    Wade
    Jones/Cook/Dorell Wright
    Beasley/Haslem
    Okafor

With enough defensive intensity and offensive development of Chalmers + Beasley, that's a contender.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteBaskets

I'd rather see Beasley attacking the basket as a SF but I don't know if he will ever develop the quickness that other SF all-stars have. I don't expect him to be as athletic as LeBron but will Beasley ever run the floor or be as quick as Marion? Beasley can jump, but his perimeter game consists mostly of a silky jump shot and not much of a drive game.

Because of that, I'd say he's better off bulking up and playing the PF spot, unless some how he's able to become a whole lot quicker in the next couple of years. If he can be as good as David West, that would be amazing. What we need to do is sign/ sign and trade for an above average starting center. But right now those are really lacking in supply. We need someone at the level below the Yaos, Dwights of this league. I think someone like Emeka Okafor would be the perfect fit, if we can get him for the right price. Dump Marion after this season.

Chalmers
    Wade
    Jones/Cook/Dorell Wright
    Beasley/Haslem
    Okafor

With enough defensive intensity and offensive development of Chalmers + Beasley, that's a contender.

My thoughts exactly.

I'm leaning more towards a dynamic PF as well. He can't match up athletically against the slashers of the league. Offensively I wouldn't see that much of a problem, in fact he'd have a slight advantage with his classy footwork and high release point of his silky J to go along with the height advantage he'd have most nights. Unfortunately, he'd be shredded by swingmen most nights aswell.

I'd like to think of him as a more talented Al Harrington. The style and skills of a perimeter player, but in the body of a post up player. Harrington developed some nice moves inside in his time at the Bay Area, while stepping out clearing space in the paint for J-Rich and Baron to exploit. There he'd get the benefit of the kickout or he'd just simply be clearing traffic for his teammates.

Beasley has already got good post up skills that will only improve over time, I think the PF is the quickest transition he can make. (the muscle gain will develop over time)

Also, it's worth mentioning that a large number of Power Forwards in the game are extremely uncomfortable coming to the perimeter - David West has exploited that a lot over the last few seasons, and B-Easy's midrange game is absolutely fantastic, one of the most polished J's in the league. (I really mean that)

As far as what WE need is concerned, I don't know right now, it would probably be of greater benefit to us if he became an SF. If we were to obtain a defensive minded C who was a monster on the boards, (I had Okafor in mind too) then sure play him at PF. But I just feel there are more Power Forwards available, not to mention my content with Haslem starting in the frontcourt.

It's a dilemma...

Local High School Star Lord Leoshes's Avatar

PF. There is no question there. He is quick against PFs, not SFs. + he would be in foul trouble all game trying to guard SFs.

I usually hit open layups

Definately pf is his better position. I do not see him matching up so well at sf. On the other hand if Miami lands one of the top tier pfs available...

Well that's why I thought this would make an interesting topic. The debate can go either way.

Beasley's defensive and offensive game is more suited to the PF, but then it IS harder to get a talented C alongside him than a talented PF. So it's kind of a toss up between what Beasley plays best as, and what the team needs.

In all honesty, I might be the only one who thinks like this... but I'd like to see the Heat hold onto Marion, and just bring in one of the second tier Cs like a trade for Kaman or Okafor or signing J. O'neal or T. Chandler in 2010. With Wade & Beasley's scoring ability, it's kind of hard to visualize another superstar 20+ point player coming to the team and fitting in. If they sign Marion for around $10M, once Blount, Banks and a couple other large $ scrubs come off the cap or are traded, they can realistically afford another $10-11M starting C.

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86
    Well that's why I thought this would make an interesting topic. The debate can go either way.

Beasley's defensive and offensive game is more suited to the PF, but then it IS harder to get a talented C alongside him than a talented PF. So it's kind of a toss up between what Beasley plays best as, and what the team needs.

In all honesty, I might be the only one who thinks like this... but I'd like to see the Heat hold onto Marion, and just bring in one of the second tier Cs like a trade for Kaman or Okafor or signing J. O'neal or T. Chandler in 2010. With Wade & Beasley's scoring ability, it's kind of hard to visualize another superstar 20+ point player coming to the team and fitting in. If they sign Marion for around $10M, once Blount, Banks and a couple other large $ scrubs come off the cap or are traded, they can realistically afford another $10-11M starting C.

We need to have as much cap space for 2010 as possible. We don't need 2nd tier players with contracts past 2010. The only player that has a guaranteed contract for us in 2010, is Banks. He's the one we need to get rid of.

Decent playground baller vitamink420's Avatar

I think he'll make a good PF but could be useful at SF if they want to play big sometimes. Of course they'd have to get some bigs first

Quote Originally Posted by vitamink420
    I think he'll make a good PF but could be useful at SF if they want to play big sometimes. Of course they'd have to get some bigs first

It would depend on the opponents SF. & it would also depend on how much improvements Beasley has on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Leoshes
    It would depend on the opponents SF. & it would also depend on how much improvements Beasley has on defense.
    Yeah, we can put him on a Bruce Bowen type SF. But obviously not on a SF like LeBron, Carmelo, Butler who etc who like to attack the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by AItheAnswer3
    Yeah, we can put him on a Bruce Bowen type SF. But obviously not on a SF like LeBron, Carmelo, Butler who etc who like to attack the rim.

I think even Bowen mite be to quick for Beasley. Yeah he hardly ever drives that much, but i bet against Beasley he would just to get him in foul trouble.
    I was thinking more of the A Jamison/L Odom type. Some one more or less at the same speed of Beasley. & of course it would depend on Beasleys improvement, & footwork on D. Just think how bad Cooks D was last year, compared to this year. I am not saying that Beasleys D will improve as much, but we can only wait & see.

I think even Bowen mite be to quick for Beasley. Yeah he hardly ever drives that much, but i bet against Beasley he would just to get him in foul trouble.
    I was thinking more of the A Jamison/L Odom type. Some one more or less at the same speed of Beasley. & of course it would depend on Beasleys improvement, & footwork on D. Just think how bad Cooks D was last year, compared to this year. I am not saying that Beasleys D will improve as much, but we can only wait & see.
    Nah, Bowen never penetrates, he's just a spot up shooter. Odom, on the other hand, will get Beasley into foul trouble. Too quick. Jamison's game is very similar to Beasley. He's mainly a jumpshooter so Beasley will be able to guard him. Beasley has shown imrpovement on D from the first few games. He's putting in more effort but he still has a long way to go.

We need to have as much cap space for 2010 as possible. We don't need 2nd tier players with contracts past 2010. The only player that has a guaranteed contract for us in 2010, is Banks. He's the one we need to get rid of.
    The thing is in 2010, even if we signed Marion to a $9-10M contract over 3-4 yrs we'd still have ~$35M in free cap to re-sign Wade and add new players considering the cap by then will probably be around $62M, and that's all considered with Banks still on the team. Without Banks, that leaves around $40M.

I really don't think re-signing Marion will hurt our chances a whole lot. And if it's not Marion, then Artest is another guy I'd really look at to bring in for ~$9-10M in the summer of 2009. Everyone gambling on compiling a complete team in 2010 with just rookies (Chalmers, Beasley) and second tier supporting players (Haslem, Cook, Jones, Wright) will be in for a big upset if something doesn't work out as planned.