Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Can Someone Explain to me the Enes Kanter Situation?

I know he's going to be allowed to play. I'm sorry if I've missed a thread on here earlier that explains why, but I was gone all summer long, and saw tonight on ESPN a little highlight of him entering Kentucky's MM Undertaker style.

I just don't understand how a player that was paid to pay professionally (anywhere) can be eligible to play college basketball in the states. How is that any different than a top American high schooler going overseas (ala Brandon Jennings) after their senior year of high school, playing a year or two over there while getting paid, and then deciding to come play college basketball for another year or two before going to the NBA? I know that is an extreme example and likely won't ever happen, but still.

Local High School Star YAH trick YAH's Avatar

Default Re: Can Someone Explain to me the Enes Kanter Situation?

Has it been confirmed he will play or are you just assuming that because it's the NCAA and Calipari?

Kanter and Kentucky are trying to claim the money he was paid was for living expenses for him and his family since they moved to go play with that team, not an actual salary. Supposedly Euro players are allowed to do that under NCAA guidelines which is a complete joke. He was paid..period..that's all that should matter but I'm sure he'll squirm out of it somehow.

Not only was he paid to play but he was living with an agent in Simi Valley CA when he attended Stoneridge Prep. Dirty.

Apparently he tried to go to Oak Hill Academy and they even turned him down because he wasn't an amateur. I guess they have tougher admissions than Kentucky.

Also, last weekend I was watching a bit of the midnight madness coverage on ESPNU and they were discussing this case and Jay Bilas said something to the effect that the NCAA "should clear him because even if he took money overseas he came to America to BE A STUDENT(!) and that's all he was worried about because he's a lottery pick either way". Are you serious Bilas?!?

Quote Originally Posted by YAH trick YAH
    Has it been confirmed he will play or are you just assuming that because it's the NCAA and Calipari?

Kanter and Kentucky are trying to claim the money he was paid was for living expenses for him and his family since they moved to go play with that team, not an actual salary. Supposedly Euro players are allowed to do that under NCAA guidelines which is a complete joke. He was paid..period..that's all that should matter but I'm sure he'll squirm out of it somehow.
    According to the report, the money he was making was something like 7 or 8 times the amount of the average income in Turkey. He was making a little more than what was needed to get by.

The ESPN article on this I read when I googled it made it out that Kanter was the victim in this whole situation, even if he was going to be cleared to play, because he will still face a possible 10 game suspension.

How is he the victim? I'm sorry, but I don't have a lot of sympathy for a kid that has already played in a professional league and got paid for it and then wants to come play college basketball against amateurs who are there by making it the right way....well some of them anyway.

Decent college freshman TheGame414's Avatar

I haven't kept up with the situation in recent weeks, but I find it absurd that it's even a possibility that he'd be allowed to play.

I rule the local playground ukfan22's Avatar

You are all taking what the Turkish team says at face value, as if they have no incentive to exaggerate or lie. Enes Kanter's father is a doctor who kept meticulous records of his own, because he wished to eventually bring him to America to play college basketball. They moved here nearly two years ago, and Enes went to an American high school for his entire Senior year, and has now been at UK and in classes for nearly four months now. Why would he do all that if he knew he got paid and would never play college basketball? Why would he be deliberately wasting not only Kentucky's, but his own time? He could still be there, making money as a Turkish pro. But he turned down their contract offer and came to America. Here's a Mike Decourcey article making basically the same point.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...-in-10-14-days

The system is Europe is different. There are no AAU or High School teams. Kanter is an elite prospect and has been in the club system for a while. That's what you do if you are good at basketball and live in Europe. He and his family maintain he did not receive a salary, only "living expenses". It's up to the NCAA to decide if those expenses were excessive.

There's a reason most believe he will eventually be cleared to play.

Decent college freshman TheGame414's Avatar

Logic and reasoning says he should have a better chance of main eventing Wrestlemania XXVII against The Undertaker than playing college basketball in the United States, but logic and reasoning don't always play a part.

I'm just glad I cheer for a team where I don't have to worry if my recruits are eligible players or ineligible professionals, and even if they are cleared to play, if my season is going to be wiped off the record books because of my coaching staff's actions.

But maybe that's just me.

Then why will he likely end up playing? Is Cal so evil and devious he can make the NCAA bend to his will and clear a "professional" player? That must be it.

And I don't spend too much time worrying about that other stuff, I stay here in the non-hypothetical world.

Quote Originally Posted by ukfan22
    And I don't spend too much time worrying about that other stuff, I stay here in the non-hypothetical world.
    Yes, and is it Calipari's squeaky clean record that allows you to do so?

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Yes, and is it Calipari's squeaky clean record that allows you to do so?
    John Calipari has no NCAA violations on his record.

Ok, I'm convinced then. Calipari is a by the book coach and there's not a thing shady about him.

Not airballing my layups anymore The Poet's Avatar

He's also has no Final Four or National Runner up records either.

Quote Originally Posted by The Poet
    He's also has no Final Four or National Runner up records either.
    ups