Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Just Started "The Wire"....

Quote Originally Posted by blacknapalm
    great choice. my advice: take it slow. it takes a while to get used to its pace. rewatch some episodes even. it's probably not going to sell you on the pilot but keep watching. i didn't get super intrigued until about episode 7 and beyond that, i was hooked. prepare for greatness.
    The beginning of The Wire was a little slow for me. LOTS of characters to get used to, no actors, that I knew of before. Baltimore/drug slang to decipher. But once it starts rolling and get its hooks into you, it's the best series ever on American TV. (At least the first 4 seasons were.)

Quote Originally Posted by Styles p
    the wire is the best show i've ever seen. if you have access to all the seasons and episodes like i do you will be watching 3-4 episodes a day.
    I think my record was 6 or 7 episodes. It was a super cold winter Saturday and we had two discs of the Wire from Netflix, so my wife and I made a pot of chili and settled in before the TV. The original thought was to just watch a couple. About 9PM the last episode ended we were in the middle of that great third season and I said "The video store is still open? Want to go?" and we went and got the next disc.

Learning to shoot layups

Watched the first 8 episodes of The Wire and didn't enjoy it one bit. No appealing characters, bland story.

This was me watching those episodes coming off of Breaking Bad, which I adore.

you might love or hate season 2

but be prepared to be sucked in

lol @ over entourage

yeah entourage is worth 4 seasons at most

I chuckle at people getting into The Wire extremely late. What were you doing in life to miss one of the best TV shows in history? Its not like it didnt garner any attention either. Must have served in the military or something.

Homeland I havent got into. I'll watch some of an episode then stop. Luckily I have On Demand where I can watch it. I have one question about the show from stuff I've watched BUT I figure that will or has been answered and I just need to watch the recent episodes or continue watching for my answer to come

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    The beginning of The Wire was a little slow for me. LOTS of characters to get used to, no actors, that I knew of before. Baltimore/drug slang to decipher. But once it starts rolling and get its hooks into you, it's the best series ever on American TV. (At least the first 4 seasons were.)

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    I chuckle at people getting into The Wire extremely late. What were you doing in life to miss one of the best TV shows in history? Its not like it didnt garner any attention either. Must have served in the military or something.

Homeland I havent got into. I'll watch some of an episode then stop. Luckily I have On Demand where I can watch it. I have one question about the show from stuff I've watched BUT I figure that will or has been answered and I just need to watch the recent episodes or continue watching for my answer to come
    I was a guy who got into a late, for much of the reason listed above. The beginning was a little slow. And more than that, I was just having trouble keeping track of the sprawling cast on a week to week basis. And the language was a little thick for me.

It wasn't until I could see it in a short viewing format, on DVD, where I was watching 2 to 4 episodes a night, that I could really immerse myself in it and get really hooked. I watched the whole series over a couple weeks. Then did it again a few months later.

rank sentamentalist

i think it's hard to catch onto early on because nothing is really explained to you. in most shows, the viewer can tell when the writer runs into a wall of how to convey a major upcoming plot point. it winds up getting inserted into the dialogue of a character who will probably sound awkward spelling out for the audience something that isn't in his usual repertoire. and then you get kinks in the start to finish character arcs that are pretty much the make or break factor of any show.

with The Wire, you get none of that. in most scenes, it almost feels as if you're descending into the room mid-sentence. so for the first few episodes, especially for us boring honkies, it takes a while to first decipher the language and then figure out how it applies to the overall story. and eventually it becomes easy, for me it was ep 5 or so, but for a while it can be a bit of a pain.

the other side of the coin is the payoff of 'getting' it, which is why everybody calls it the best show ever. along with the way it toys with ideas, relationships, morality, careers, etc. but the common thread is that seemingly effortless dialogue that almost sounds like a foreign language until you plug yourself into it.

a LAKER & a DODGER fan Lakerlove420's Avatar

yeah... if you remember I was talking about the wire a couple months back. started it three months ago. (disc by disc through Netflix) I just finished season 4.
    I was lost in life for about 10 years just f'ing up, slinging Meth .. doing time and just kinda "out there" for a while.
    There was a point in life when literally years that went by on the streets where I never even watched a t.v. once. Not a show.. not the news.. nothing. It was crazy.. I had never even watched a mini-series or even knew what one was until about 2 years ago.. (same goes with a message board.. never knew something like this even existed until I was like 30yrs old. I really was a newbie of newbies when I came around. took a minute to learn how it goes around here..all in all it's a pretty cool thing when you're bored..

anyway the Wire..
    season 1
    season 2
    season 3:
    season 4:

LOVED season 2 by the way.. (1 & 3 too..
    very hard to choose the best season.

I have season 5 disc 1 right now..
    kind of on-hold due to currently re-watching the 13 episodes of Spartacus:Blood and Sand(f*ckin so good by the way

but yeah.. the Wire has been really praised on this site.
    and rightfully so..
    It Is So Great

Go Spurs Go

ive only seen season 5 of the wire (newspaper one?) and it was EPIC as fukk..

crazy part is, i hear season 5 is the worst season! man i needa get on it.

Blu Ray

Homeland is a must watch as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzle-2k7
    ive only seen season 5 of the wire (newspaper one?) and it was EPIC as fukk..

crazy part is, i hear season 5 is the worst season! man i needa get on it.
    Yeah, definitely watch the first 4 seasons. The first four seasons feel like real observed truth...the show is produced by ex Baltimore Cop and ex Baltimore news reporter. The cop became a teacher after he retired. Those seasons seem like hard lessons learned. The 5th season has a false note when ---not to give anything away--- the cop starts to trick the media.

One of the keys to why the Wire is so good is the creators' belief that you don't give up on people or just completely write them off. Never has poverty appeared so real on American TV. Never have the crooks been given just as much emotional depth as the cops. It reminded me of the best parts of Catholicism and I was not surprised to learn as I just googled him that Ed Burns the cop/teacher went to Catholic schools through college and studied philosophy at Loyola. where a good catholic is required to

To feed the hungry
    To give drink to the thirsty.
    To shelter the homeless.
    To clothe the naked.
    To visit prisoners
    To visit the sick.
    To bury the dead.

This was a guy who could have had a comfortable professional life and chose a life of service as a cop and then a teacher. David Simon, the reporter has also made it his life's work to tell the stories of the poor and forgotten.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnin4HoLeS
    Yeah, Dexter is a good show! Season 4 is the most EPIC! Just a heads up
    Diggin it thusfar.. appreciate the heads up.

Well in the Year 2003 I was in 8th grade so I wasnt to big on watching shows and what not. Over the past year ive been really dedicated to watching show after show and picking up every good show I hear about. I remember hearing about the ending of the Sopranos and in my head i was like "Whats the big deal" but now that i finished it ITS A HUGE DEAL LOL. but yeah im really good at catching up to shows.. my technique is to watch one show on DVD's at home and watch a seperate show seperately..usually one i can watch at work during lunch break (stream on my iphone.) I got Dexter on my iphone for now but once im done with it im gonna start Boardwalk Empire ..etc etc. All running of course with me watching the Wire.
    Last edited by Gunnin4HoLeS; 12-01-2011 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnbizzle
    Diggin it thusfar.. appreciate the heads up.
    You will never See Lord Farquad the same lol

Quote Originally Posted by donald love
    Watched the first 8 episodes of The Wire and didn't enjoy it one bit. No appealing characters, bland story.

This was me watching those episodes coming off of Breaking Bad, which I adore.
    Hey i actually came off watching Breaking bad to the Wire as well.. I hope i dont go through the same thing