Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    National High School Star

Default Re: Do some people really think Larry Bird couldn't dominate like he did, in this era?

I didn't read through the thread but Larry would have no problem playing in today's era. He would probably score 10 a game from the free throw line alone. The guy was one of the best all around players EVER. This is coming from somebody who grew up watching the showtime Lakers. Larry was ridiculous, vision and rebounding and overall basketball instincts were incredible. he was a real basketball player.

Dunking on everybody in the park MavsPoke's Avatar

Default Re: Do some people really think Larry Bird couldn't dominate like he did, in this era?

Thanks for the links.

Jesus he was so good. Its easy to forget.

Larry Bird would be at least in all star in any era and anyone who disagrees is kidding themselves or not familiar with his game.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    I don't get the Dirk comparison.

Dirk is much taller and a more accurate shooter, which makes him a more dangerous overall scorer.
    Bird is decisively better in most of the other aspects of the game. He's an all-around player.

They're different enough that you can't infer from one's dominance in this era that the other would succeed as well.

I do think Larry Bird would absolutely kick ass in this era, but it has nothing to do with Dirk. Just with the fact that he's Larry Bird.
    We don't know that or we can't prove it because we don't really have the stats to back it up. With Dirk, we do. Now we basically can look to see how well he shot anywhere on the floor for almost his entire career.

We do know that Bird posted up more in his career though. And since Bird had a higher FG% normally than Dirk, I think it's more likely he was either a better finisher or took better shots. Not to mention Bird usually shoot more than Dirk, and still had a better FG%. If you watch the games, it was a mixture of both. Around the 10-15 ft range, Bird was a killer with the post fadeaways.

If you look at Dirk's stats though, he is a killer almost everywhere on the floor. He isn't as good in the 3-9ft though.
    Last edited by Micku; 12-10-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Kevin Love is a poor man's Larry Bird. he's tearing it up. Chandler Parsons right now reminds me of a very poor version of Larry as well. if Parsons is doing this well, Larry Legend would tear up this soft league.

You see the corpse of Andre Miller owning people left and right, thanks to solid fundamentals and great footwork and yet Larry Bird wouldn't dominate.

Larry Bird was getting hated on while he played. Unathletic, can't run, can't jump, can't defend, oh and he's white. and you know what he did? Dominate

don't care what era, what date, what size shorts. The guy is going to murk. He has what 99.9999% of the NBA doesn't; heart, guts and intelligence

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crown&Coke
    Larry Bird was getting hated on while he played. Unathletic, can't run, can't jump, can't defend, oh and he's white. and you know what he did? Dominate

don't care what era, what date, what size shorts. The guy is going to murk. He has what 99.9999% of the NBA doesn't; heart, guts and intelligence
    To me they all have that stuff.... he had MORE

I rule the local playground

All this theory talk is fine and dandy as long as people don't make it out to be fact. Could he dominate? Yes. Is it guaranteed? No. The point is he is a legend of that era. You can't really take him out and prove with any kind of statistics that he would do well or worse in any other era