Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: KU will choke again early in March Madness this year...

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Since you seemed so focus on this, do you think VCU, Northern Iowa, etc. would have beaten those Kansas teams in a best of 3/5/7 series?
    Do you think the likes of VCU, Northern Iowa, Bradley and Bucknell could defeat teams like UNC, UK, UConn repeatedly as underdogs? Lets face it, you lose once or twice to mid-major league teams, it is coincidence and sometimes bad luck. But I am sorry, its 4 times in 8 years for Bill Self already and I wont be surprised if it happens again.

In my current mock bracket I have KU lose to the 5th seed in its bracket, seems pretty good for them already in Sweet 16. If more upset-minded teams are placed as 8th or 9th seed, they may go home as early as in 2nd round like they did to Northern Iowa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
    Do you think the likes of VCU, Northern Iowa, Bradley and Bucknell could defeat teams like UNC, UK, UConn repeatedly as underdogs? Lets face it, you lose once or twice to mid-major league teams, it is coincidence and sometimes bad luck. But I am sorry, its 4 times in 8 years for Bill Self already and I wont be surprised if it happens again.
    Every #1 and virtually every 2 seed that loses does so to underdogs. You're just too hung up on the mid-major label.

In the current landscape of college basketball, where a mid-major has been in the title game each of the last two years, with another in last year's Final Four, the term mid-major means little come tournament time. Those "middies" are loaded with experienced players, comfortable within a system and more physically developed than the big time recruits at larger schools.

It's not football, where weekly attrition due to injury exposes the difference in depth between programs. It's a one-and-done scenario, in the sport most affected by the performance of a single player.
    Last edited by JMT; 03-08-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Banned

Just like they always did against mid-major teams like Bucknell, Northern Iowa and VCU. It would be a shame if the committees do pick Kansas to be a top seed, since their only contribution as a No.1 seed is to make sure not all four top seeds will advance to the final four. It happened before in 2008, but somewhat boring without underdogs? Bill Self is still the average coach he always was. People can change but something's never gonna change, with or without Mario Chalmers saving his ass in 2008.
    Sorry, saving his ass? Come again? You mean when they were already in the National title game? Is that the ass aid that Mario Chalmers provided to Bill Self? They were already in the fkn NC game when that happened! Yeah, they've flamed out early every other year, but don't tell me Chalmers saved Self's ass that year. Maybe Memphis should hit FT's. Also, Kansas dominated UNC, the same UNC who would win a year later, in the Final Four that year.

This image is so epic, lol. And it is evident that many people believe that Mario Chalmers was the only one who managed to save Bill Self from choking before.

Then those same people are as dumb as you. Apparently you have no idea how tough it is for a coach and his team to win five games in a row to just make the championship game, never mind six in a row to win a championship. Yes, Mario Chalmers hit a clutch shot in the end to win the game but, had Chalmers missed, it wouldn't have been a "choke-job" if Kansas had lost to Memphis.

Bill Self's tournament track-record isn't the best. Since he's been at Kansas he's had some higher seeded teams get upset. But it's also unfair to completely ignore that, on several occasions, those teams overachieved in the regular season based on preseason expectations. This season might have been Self's best coaching job yet.

I'm defending Self and Kansas but, since they appear to be the biggest threat to UNC before the Final Four, I can honestly say I will be rooting for and hoping that there's another mid-major or lower seeded team that has an upset in them when they face Kansas in the first three rounds.
    Last edited by KG215; 03-13-2012 at 12:17 AM.

I have Kansas getting upset by Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by Eat Like A Bosh
    I have Kansas getting upset by Detroit
    At least you have the balls to call it, unlike the OP who hides behind "many people on the mesage board think..."

He talks nonsense, but his boldest prediction so far is "if more upset minded teams are placed as 8/9 seeds (as if teams decide whether to be upset minded or not) they may go home as early as the second round..."
    Last edited by JMT; 03-12-2012 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JMT
    He talks nonsense, but his boldest prediction so far is "if more upset minded teams are placed as 8/9 seeds (as if teams decide whether to be upset minded or not) they may go home as early as the second round..."
    Well that was the prediction for KU if they landed top seed. Looks like they did not, so apparently you cant see an 8/9 seed upsetting them. But being a 2 seed makes it even more intriguing since they now have a chance to lose in 1st round, instead of having a guaranteed win as top seed against no.16. History tells us that no.15 seeds can upset no.2's, I see such potential in Detroit too.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Then those same people are as dumb as you. Apparently you have no idea how tough it is for a coach and his team to win five games in a row to just make the championship game, never mind six in a row to win a championship. Yes, Mario Chalmers hit a clutch shot in the end to win the game but, had Chalmers missed, it wouldn't have been a "choke-job" if Kansas had lost to Memphis.

Bill Self's tournament track-record isn't the best. Since he's been at Kansas he's had some higher seeded teams get upset. But it's also unfair to completely ignore that, on several occasions, those teams overachieved in the regular season based on preseason expectations. This season might have been Self's best coaching job yet.

I'm defending Self and Kansas but, since they appear to be the biggest threat to UNC before the Final Four, I can honestly say I will be rooting for and hoping that there's another mid-major or lower seeded team that has an upset in them when they face Kansas in the first three rounds.
    Funny thing is I could care less about KU as well. Only Big 12 ties I've ever had were Ok State, and those are long gone. Just amazed at the idiocy of people. Every 1 or 2, short of the Final 4, are losing to an underdog. VCU went to the Final 4, but apparently it was only Kansas that choked. Butler got to two staight finals but teams didn't "choke" to get them there.

Sad thing is if KU loses...and odds are they will...to a lower ranked team, people will crow like they knew something. Even worse, Detroit is the 15 that I felt had the best chance at an upset regardless of opponent. Legit size with two 6'10" guys, took most of their losses early in the season when they were missing key players, a very athletic wing who can score. When KU has struggled, it's been due to Withey not showing up. So I could be arguing against myself. But I'll trust KU's frontline and overall shooting.
    Last edited by JMT; 03-13-2012 at 11:06 AM.

KU will make the Elite 8

Well that was the prediction for KU if they landed top seed. Looks like they did not, so apparently you cant see an 8/9 seed upsetting them. But being a 2 seed makes it even more intriguing since they now have a chance to lose in 1st round, instead of having a guaranteed win as top seed against no.16. History tells us that no.15 seeds can upset no.2's, I see such potential in Detroit too.
    So you're picking Detroit to win, right?

Yeah hes such an excellent coach
    Yes, he is. Best coach in the nation actually. 8 straight regular season titles, 144-7 at home (best in NCAA btw), Over the last five seasons Self's KU teams won 165 games, an average of 33.0 wins a year for the best 5 year record of any Men's Basketball coach in Division 1 history, he's one of the best recruiters in the game as well.... And only at Kansas could 3 Elite 8's, a Sweet 16, and a natl. championship be considered a "failure".

Oh and your bound to lose to some scrubs when you make the tourney every year (which not even UK, Duke, or UNC do). Shit happens, the big dance is a complete crap shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath Uterus
    Yes, he is. Best coach in the nation actually. 8 straight regular season titles, 144-7 at home (best in NCAA btw), Over the last five seasons Self's KU teams won 165 games, an average of 33.0 wins a year for the best 5 year record of any Men's Basketball coach in Division 1 history, he's one of the best recruiters in the game as well.... And only at Kansas could 3 Elite 8's, a Sweet 16, and a natl. championship be considered a "failure".
    Not even at Kansas. Just in the childlike mindset of the OP...and whatever blog post he read that said Kansas "chokes".

It's only the truly clueless that think there's any difference between the Big 6 conferences and the best of all the rest when it comes to the tournament. He's blasting them for losing to a team that went to the Final Four.
    Last edited by JMT; 03-13-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JMT
    It's only the truly clueless that think there's any difference between the Big 6 conferences and the best of all the rest when it comes to the tournament. He's blasting them for losing to a team that went to the Final Four.
    Exactly. While other big schools haven't lost to as many mid majors in the tourney, they've lost to teams that are on the same level as those mid majors.