View Single Post
Old 06-30-2007, 01:27 PM   #4
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Misconceptions about the Catholic Church

^^You forgot Islam, it's the second largest religion in the world.

I was rasied Catholic but I never understood the whole Christian vs. Catholic thing. If both accept Christ as savior, what the hell is there to fight aboout? A few minor details? Who cares, if they both accept Christ shouldn't they be brothers instead of enemies? Talk about hypocrisy.

One on my main issues with religion is the ignorance that it causes. Here are 2 quotes from Christian's Fred Phelps and Jerry Falwell respectively:

Quote:
"Not only is homosexuality a sin, but anyone who supports f@gs is just as guilty as they are. You are both worthy of death."

Quote:
It appears that America's anti-Biblical feminist movement is at last dying, thank God, and is possibly being replaced by a Christ-centered men's movement which may become the foundation for a desperately needed national spiritual awakening.

Not to mention the ignorance that the Bible creates. Man living with dinosaurs, the universe was created in 6 days, the universe is only 6,000 years old, etc.

My favorite quote regarding Bible ignorance is by Sam Harris:

Quote:
“Despite a full century of scientific insights attesting to the antiquity of the earth, more than half of our neighbors believe that the entire cosmos was created six thousand years ago. This is, incidentally, about a thousand years after the Sumerians invented glue.”

No offense intended RBP, I also am fully aware that religion does many great things for its people, but IMO, the doctorines need to change. The Bible cannot be preached as 100% fact when it has repeatedly been proven incorrect.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote