View Single Post
Old 06-30-2007, 12:43 PM   #6
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Default Re: Misconceptions about the Catholic Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
^^You forgot Islam, it's the second largest religion in the world.

I was rasied Catholic but I never understood the whole Christian vs. Catholic thing. If both accept Christ as savior, what the hell is there to fight aboout? A few minor details? Who cares, if they both accept Christ shouldn't they be brothers instead of enemies? Talk about hypocrisy.

One on my main issues with religion is the ignorance that it causes. Here are 2 quotes from Christian's Fred Phelps and Jerry Falwell respectively:

Not to mention the ignorance that the Bible creates. Man living with dinosaurs, the universe was created in 6 days, the universe is only 6,000 years old, etc.

My favorite quote regarding Bible ignorance is by Sam Harris:

No offense intended RBP, I also am fully aware that religion does many great things for its people, but IMO, the doctorines need to change. The Bible cannot be preached as 100% fact when it has repeatedly been proven incorrect.

from previous posts, you know that i do not subscribe to literal biblical interpretations.

i think that is a strength of the catholic church in embracing the intellectual tradition and the development of theological thought with the scriptures as an important source that needs to be incorporated and considered but not the only source of revelation

it is all in the interpretation
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote