Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default What Are Your Thoughts on Internet Slideshow Lists?

I speak of the types of lists where a user must click "Next" to get to the next thing on the list and "Prev" to go back, refreshing & loading a new page every single time.

Like this: http://www.independenttraveler.com/t...ark-washington

This in comparison to the Buzzfeed style of list, where everything's there on one singular page, where the user must only scroll down, with no refresh: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjkiebus/mom...yones-vacation

When you click on a list or Top 10 and realize it's a Refresh Slideshow, do you quit? Are you annoyed?

They are personally one of my least favorite things of the internet.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: What Are Your Thoughts on Internet Slideshow Lists?

Pisses me off more than almost anything and I'm surprised I don't hear more about it.

Hate them. Do not understand why someone would design them that way. Probably just for the extra traffic since refreshing the page does kinda give them more views.
    I like the buzzfeed example much better.

kings fan

Only sites with that kind of content are sites I shouldn't spend my time on and don't spend my time on.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Eat Like A Bosh
    Hate them. Do not understand why someone would design them that way. Probably just for the extra traffic since refreshing the page does kinda give them more views.
    I like the buzzfeed example much better.
    I believe that is the exact reasoning. On any given top ten list, if a single user clicks through all 10 individual slides, that'd be equal to 10 separate users clicking on 1 single Buzzfeed page.

With that in mind, here's my second question: do websites who utilize that format forever benefit? Or does it drive away users? Do users get a bad taste in their mouth but still come back?

Namely, is it good business for a site trying to work its way up? Do 10 clicks from 1 user while, say, 6 others opt out because they hate those types of slideshows, benefit the site long term, since the clicks still equal out to be greater?
    Last edited by Rake2204; 11-18-2014 at 09:27 PM.

yeh i hate tha t mother****er shit , i always close it

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I believe that is the exact reasoning. On any given top ten list, if a single user clicks through all 10 individual slides, that'd be equal to 10 separate users clicking on 1 single Buzzfeed page.

With that in mind, here's my second question: do websites who utilize that format forever benefit? Or does it drive away users? Do users get a bad taste in their mouth but still come back?

Namely, is it good business for a site trying to work its way up? Do 10 clicks from 1 user while, say, 6 others opt out because they hate those types of slideshows, benefit the site long term, since the clicks still equal out to be greater?
    I sure wouldn't design my site that way. Not worth it imo, those extra views don't mean anything, it's merely an inflated stat, doesn't accurately reflect how many users at all. Just like facebook likes.

Anyways whenever I see a slideshow like that, I just close the tab. Chances are it's just a time waster site.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Eat Like A Bosh
    I sure wouldn't design my site that way. Not worth it imo, those extra views don't mean anything, it's merely an inflated stat, doesn't accurately reflect how many users at all. Just like facebook likes.

Anyways whenever I see a slideshow like that, I just close the tab. Chances are it's just a time waster site.
    I'm fully with you on this one.

I brought this topic up after a discussion with someone running a site that contains those slideshows. Apparently they go a long way toward really pumping up views if the topic is semi-interesting (ex: "Ten Craziest Chainsaw Juggling Cats"). And that final "Click" number is what most influences advertising draw (like YouTube views).

As such, their thoughts are, if there's a topic that draws interest of 10,000 viewers (say, the aforementioned fictional 10 chainsaw juggling cats), they'd rather get something like 80,000 or 90,000 clicks, instead of just 10,000.

Worth it then?

I think it depends upon how much ad revenue is dependent on the final slide because there is a tradeoff between user experience happening there. Personally, I think it's bad design and isn't good in the long run because these sites are dependent on mobile traffic. I've come across these things and close my browser ASAP because I hate it which is a problem if revenue is dependent on the last click.

I also think add space could be more valuable in a list vs slide format because you can literally force people to look at the ads by placing them in the middle of a list instead of just using a banner ad. And that isn't a big problem for user experience.

hate them. if i come across an article with one i'll skip it on principle (cracked articles aren't so bad because those are usually just 2 pages)

unless I'm extremely interested in the list I bail as soon as I see a slideshow, and even when I am interested I usually bail after 2-3 slides because it's taking too long, they suck

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by rezznor
    hate them. if i come across an article with one i'll skip it on principle (cracked articles aren't so bad because those are usually just 2 pages)
    Always thought Cracked had a fair compromise. Buzzfeed would be ideal for my viewing pleasure though.

Quote Originally Posted by Theoo
    yeh i hate tha t mother****er shit , i always close it
    Same here. Most stuff is done on the internet is a waste of time anyway and I want to waste my time efficiently... not take twice as long if not longer to gro through something because of that slide BS

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

Cancer of XXI

The Brooklyn Brawler. BrooklynZoo's Avatar

i think everyone finds them annoying, but as mentioned earlier, its for site traffic (ad revenue).. a 20 count list = 20 hits. obviously it's working otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

the worst is when they use huge pics with captions underneath and you have to look at the pic then scroll down to read the caption/click next