Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Misconceptions About Islam

Quote Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
    them vast majority of people are not ruled by our intellect but our emotions. sensible people can also cry when they hear love song that reminds them of a lost love that broke their heart when they were 16 years old

religion can also spur very powerful emotions in people at all sorts of levels

GOOD religion can actually keep the intellect as well as the will and emotions in check so the latter doesnt dominate one's life.

that is why i had asked about the intellectual traditions within islam in a previous post

myths are technically powerful accounts that shed light on mystery. story/metaphor can give wonderful order and purpose to our lives. many people equate myth with falsehood in todays world.

whatever one thinks of belief in God, it is to all our advantage to develop the aspects of religion that move our world toward wholeness/respect/justice/compassion
    if you weigh the good and the bad religion has caused, you'll see a lot more strife and suffering than charity and progress.

Quote Originally Posted by final.wrath
    if you weigh the good and the bad religion has caused, you'll see a lot more strife and suffering than charity and progress.
    although i'm an atheist myself, i think bigger reason is human nature itself.

because it's what made us create religion. religion is a mirror of ourselves and our nature. it's just the excuse and not the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharas
    although i'm an atheist myself, i think bigger reason is human nature itself.

because it's what made us create religion. religion is a mirror of ourselves and our nature. it's just the excuse and not the reason.
    Is it really human nature? Relegions at the basic scripture level seem to be perfectly good things promoting for the most part goodness. Howver relegious institutions have wronged humanity greatly. If relegion reflects human nature then we are inherintly good, not evil doers like the institutions who use relegion to rule people.

NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by final.wrath
    are you refering to islam in particular or all religions?

Quote Originally Posted by gb8
    Is it really human nature? Relegions at the basic scripture level seem to be perfectly good things promoting for the most part goodness. Howver relegious institutions have wronged humanity greatly. If relegion reflects human nature then we are inherintly good, not evil doers like the institutions who use relegion to rule people.
    at basic scripture level, it's a great thing - and completely devoid from reality, i'd say.
    but the way we really act, in real life, upon religion and its teachings (and that's BAD), shows off our true nature. it's again us ourselves that created those institutions that do wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharas
    at basic scripture level, it's a great thing - and completely devoid from reality, i'd say.
    but the way we really act, in real life, upon religion and its teachings (and that's BAD), shows off our true nature. it's again us ourselves that created those institutions that do wrong.
    interesting take, I would contend that basic human nature is, taking the easy way out. There are evil doers and good doers ( i am sure i just made up some words here) The evil doers have definely been more successfull in manipulating people to follow them. People who for the most part are neither good nor bad.

CNN and all the other U.S news networks want you all to believe that the MiddleEast is full of terrorists..its a form of brainwashing..
    So, is religion.

Anyway, onto my questions:

Are you a part of the religion because of your parents?
    Why is it such a sh!tty religion?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_Zero
    well it's not looked upon nicely but it's ok, as long as you are not commited to anyone in a relationship.
    For real, this is a thing to be told by your religion not to *********e if in a relationship?

Come on... what moral or religious purpose could that possibly serve

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    For real, this is a thing to be told by your religion not to *********e if in a relationship?

Many people who do not have a perspective confined to the material world believe in other dimensions such as the astral and an unseen world.

The dimension of thought and dreams is a place where the material world actually derives from, to an extent.

Having entanglements like these puts you in bad shape in a future marriage; because you'll inadvertently have flashbacks desires baggage and hang-ups affecting your very thoughts.. Moreover, it's known that the burning desire of sexuality and highly emotional scenes leave conditionings or samsaras imprinted on a human being.

Part of the concept of being chaste/clean is not to have these things impress upon one's being. It is an impediment to the person's overall tranquility. Additionally, sacrifice and concepts like Lent served to sever attachments to material pleasures in order for an easy transition for souls in the afterlife.

Moreover, most spiritual systems involve something akin to alchemy. The Hinduisms perform physical rites of yoga in conjunction with breathing in order to unite with the "Great Spirit", Taoists from China engage in Qigong and other practices to create an "immortal body" in the Lower Dan Tien, Muslims have their Salat, and other meditative practices serve to elevate the consciousness in the material upwards to the heavens.

This dates back to Ancient Egypt and perhaps earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by gb8
    Like all human institutions come to do, if they last long enough--that would be a reflection of our 'fallen nature' as Christians would say, and as told through the allegory of Genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW

Because it's quite obvious that frequent *********ion during a relationship would loosen the bonds of intimacy between partners; it's not that hard to see why. If you have a girlfriend why don't you try not fucking her, and instead just fap away in the corner, and see how that affects your relationship?

I would never seek religious assurance from the author of 'In The Spare Of a Moment'

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ROCSteady
    I would never seek religious assurance from the author of 'In The Spare Of a Moment'
    *whispers and fades...*

Agent Zero still fading away from Earth but nobody can hear his whispers in space

May he forever live in infamy

Here's a muslim saudi giving an excellent insight into the problems of the muslim world and the internal battle within the religion.

He sums it up perfectly.

Please watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6Xve4O4rF0