Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Default Re: Discuss the Magic vs Lakers matchup

My matchup analysis:

People always say the way Magic play defense is not winning basketball due to their reliance on the three ball, however many tend to overlook the incredible amount of mismatches they create and their excellent defense. Sure the Magic rely on the three ball to fall, however if anyone can do it, it's the Magic, just take a look of the capable three point shooters they have in their rotation - Alston, Lee, Turkoglu, Lewis, Pietrus, and Redick give you six solid guys to make the three. Let's look at the matchups:

Alston - Fisher: Fisher's got a ton of playoff experience, but as evidenced this year, his best years are behind him and he's largely turned into a streaky catch and shoot guy. Alston plays better defense, gets into the lane more often and this year his jump shot is not that much worse than Fisher's.
    Advantage: Magic

Lee - Bryant: No need to go into detail here because we all know who has the advantage here, although Lee's rugged and pesky brand of defense could give Bryant trouble. Lee played Dwayne Wade better than any player I saw all year and we saw how he blanketed Eddie House and took away his perimeter game in the Celtics series.
    Advantage: Lakers

Turkoglu - Ariza: Ariza is a good three point shooter, can finish in transition and plays good defense, however he's not nearly the player Hedo is. Hedo can handle like a guard, has a better jumper, gets into the lane at will, is a better passer, and isn't a bad defender.
    Advantage: Turkoglu

Lewis - Odom: I know Pau starts at the four, but this is the matchup we're going to see most of the series. Both guys are tall combo forwards with intriguing skill sets. Odom is a better inside player, rebounder, and ball handler, while Lewis is a complete offensive package and has a vastly superior perimeter game. I'll call this matchup a push.
    Advantage: Neither

Howard - Gasol: The best low post scorer in the game meets the defensive player of the year and probably the best center in the league. I know Bynum will start on Howard but he'll probably end up in foul trouble within minutes so this will be the primary matchup. Pau's length and and amazing post game will give Dwight trouble but on the other end Dwight's physique and rugged, tough interior game could expose the "soft" label that has plagued Pau since he's been a Laker.
    Advantage: Magic

Benches: Anthony Johnson against Jordan Farmer and Shannon Brown is a good equal showdown between guys who can knock down the open three and execute their team's sets. Pietrus enjoys the clear advantage against a streaky Sasha Vujacic and if he's as big a factor as he was against Cleveland, he could prove to be the x-factor for the Magic in this series. Marcin Gortat will likely clash with Andrew Bynum and while this might seem like a clear advantage for the Lakers, I wouldn't be so sure. Gortat is a tough guy that can finish, block shots, and is quite frankly one of the best backup centers in the league.
    Advantage: Magic (slightly)

While the Magic might enjoy more matchup advantages, the Lakers posess the largest of all with Kobe Bryant. I don't think Kobe will be enough and I think we'll see an upset with the Magic taking it in 7.

Pietrus will limit Kobe's output but wont stop him-however I think he will limit him enough to get Magic over the line...If anyone watched Howard during the finals series, they will know that the lakers frontline cannot contain Howard...Something I noticed in the Cavs series that Howard is using newfound low post moves that im sure ewing has had a lot to do with...I also think Howard is timing the allyoops well too, with these two improvements, Lakers cannot limit Howard enough to win this series...Only thing that I could see happening is Lakers resorting to dirty tactics-come forward KOBE BRYANT...All ive got to say is Howard, wear a helmet! :wink:

High School Varsity 6th Man justin43's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by poido123
    Pietrus will limit Kobe's output but wont stop him-however I think he will limit him enough to get Magic over the line...If anyone watched Howard during the finals series, they will know that the lakers frontline cannot contain Howard...Something I noticed in the Cavs series that Howard is using newfound low post moves that im sure ewing has had a lot to do with...I also think Howard is timing the allyoops well too, with these two improvements, Lakers cannot limit Howard enough to win this series...Only thing that I could see happening is Lakers resorting to dirty tactics-come forward KOBE BRYANT...All ive got to say is Howard, wear a helmet! :wink:
    We also forgetting that Dwight and the rest of the frontcourt can't handle Gasol, Odom, Ariza, and Bryant slashing into the lane either. Dwight will get in foul trouble, which will destroy a good portion of the rebounding ability of the Magic. No 2nd chance shooting leads to the three becoming a double edge sword. The key to this series is to limit Dwight's minutes on the floor, which I think the Lakers can accomplish.

However, the Magic are a threat and can pull the upset.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by PP34Deuce
    Gasol may not be tough at all, but comparing him to Varejau(spelled wrong i bet) is assinine.

Gasol has very good shooting range for a big man. Howard cant do as much damage if hes away from the basket. Perkins and Davis showed the blue print on how to guard him. If the lakers execute the plan right, howard wont be camped 5 feet in as much.
    Doesn't matter what they showed. If you don't have personel with similar talents, it's stupid to try using the same game plan. Perkins and Davis can match up physically because they actually had the bulk and strength to push Howard away from the basket. Bynum is similar in size, but lacks the strength. Gasol is too scrawny, soft, and faggy looking to be any use guarding him.

Quote Originally Posted by greymatter
    Doesn't matter what they showed. If you don't have personel with similar talents, it's stupid to try using the same game plan. Perkins and Davis can match up physically because they actually had the bulk and strength to push Howard away from the basket. Bynum is similar in size, but lacks the strength. Gasol is too scrawny, soft, and faggy looking to be any use guarding him.

One of my favourites!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by justin43
    We also forgetting that Dwight and the rest of the frontcourt can't handle Gasol, Odom, Ariza, and Bryant slashing into the lane either. Dwight will get in foul trouble, which will destroy a good portion of the rebounding ability of the Magic. No 2nd chance shooting leads to the three becoming a double edge sword. The key to this series is to limit Dwight's minutes on the floor, which I think the Lakers can accomplish.

However, the Magic are a threat and can pull the upset.
    I failed to mention the rest of the Lakers as I feel that both teams pretty much neutralise each other, but I think the difference will be Pietrus limiting Kobe to Howard getting little resistance down low...I think the magic are now starting to work out how to play to their strengths better, which they didnt do well last year at all...Should be a great series though, my team the Bulls are already out sadly

Serious playground baller schism206's Avatar

I think one of the biggest keys for the magic is staying out of foul trouble. if dwight can stay on the floor, and even peitrus (he's played very well) who picked up a lot of fouls on lebron, and when he goes out theres not many other magic players that could slow him down. but since kobe isnt as big as lebron someone like lee could guard him as well, and hopefully slow him down a little.

lee and pietrus are both pretty young, even though Kobe will get his share of points, hopefully they can tire him out a bit in the process.

luckily the refs call less bailout calls for Kobe nowadays compared to Lebron so that might be a nice break for the Magic depending on how they want to call it in the finals.

odom and lewis will be an interesting matchup. lewis will do a good job of keeping bigger guys out on the perimeter which will take away from some help defense... but will he be able to guard odom ?

I also wonder, if ariza guards turkoglu will he be able to get to the rim ? he could probably post him up better but how turk fares against some good defenders will be an important factor.

or would ariza guard lewis and odom guard turk ?

i have a feeling the lakers will end up winning this one, but im gonna pick the Magic in 6 because I would much rather see a team that has never won a championship finally get one, and I like their team. They are also the underdog, and that I feel can be used to their benefit, and they've played in some really close and decisive games and won most of them. They have numerous players who can hit the big shots as opposed to just 1 guy... Lebron or Kobe. But if the 3 ball can fall for them in more than half of the games, they can a good shot. Hopefully they don't dig any holes early, which they are known for... they certainly can come back, and the lakers have let some leads go, but you don't want to rely on that every game.

Looking forward to it.

Magic in 5 or 6.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by justin43
    The Lakers frontcourt can get Dwight in foul trouble by going at Dwight. Odom and Gasol are faster and more versatile than Dwight Howard. Get Dwight to defend against their driving and he will get in foul trouble. That is how you neutralize Dwight Howard. Make him defend.
    What?

Local High School Star markymark's Avatar

IMO Bynum still won't be getting much burn in this series. Against Houston, it was mostly Gasol who was matched up against Yao. Dunno why, but Bynum's not turning out to be the force everyone was expecting him to be

Wink Re: Discuss the Magic vs Lakers matchup

Orlando Magic in 6..

Seems like the lakers are the underdogs here in ISH

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Think about it InsidePoops. We're 4 wins away from hearing the eternal phrase "JJ Reddick, NBA champion."

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by markymark
    IMO Bynum still won't be getting much burn in this series. Against Houston, it was mostly Gasol who was matched up against Yao. Dunno why, but Bynum's not turning out to be the force everyone was expecting him to be
    He came back from a knee injury mere days before the playoffs started. He started to put up excellent numbers before Kobe fell on his knee, but you can't really expect him to come back and pick up where he left off. Considering this, he's doing well.

The first few games he was out of synch, often in the wrong place at the wrong time, but his positioning is getting better and better and when he gets into foul trouble it's often because others (like Gasol) are out of position on D to prevent an easy two. I think he's got the strength and quickness to keep Howard away from the basket 1-on-1 and if Howard has to resort to his terrible jump hook LA has the advantage.

Still, Orlando is the team I didn't want to see the Lakers up against.. their teriffic 3-point shooting makes them the most dangerous team in the NBA IMO.

Saw a basketball once

One of the keys to the series is winning the key match ups. Listed below are the ones that are paramount to victory.

http://sportspolymath.typepad.com/sp...and-magic.html