Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Has my jump shot form improved, and any critiques on my new form or dribbling?

Lookin nice man, I like the high arc, follow through and it seems that you are locking your elbow and looks like a one-motion shot. I would suggest having a more open stance (youtube stephen curry draining shots and pay attention to his feet stance). Once you get more used to your shooting form, you'll have a quicker release and will be able to shoot off the dribble.

One thing I would suggest is that once you get accustomed to your shooting form, start running for your rebound after every shot and simulate game like scenarios ie. one dribble pull up (youtube steve nash 20 min drill).

With the hop step that your talkin about - yea it leads to a more quicker shot and is the fundamental of catch and shoot. Doing it off dribble is also good, in fact I prefer it more than the one-dribble pull up but the disadvantage is that its a bit slower.

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Default Re: Has my jump shot form improved, and any critiques on my new form or dribbling?

Looks MUCH better, once again. You really ARE putting in work. The only thing I'd say to you now is to make sure you don't have any power leakages. See, the most efficient way to for power to transfer through the body is a straight line. Any detours (knocking knees, wobbly/misaligned elbows, etc) can AND will kill power and also throw off the trajectory of the shot. When you set up for your jump, make sure your knees aren't moving inwards or "knocking" or aren't bowing either. Imagine everything's a straight line.

I remember when I had my first REALLY bad shooting slump (as in I was constantly changing my form every time I went to the court coz nothing and everything seemed to work), I found this vid and it really helped me a lot. Push & Flop (I'd just like to add the "Magic Finger." Actually leading your follow-through with your pointer REALLY helps your shot, plus it makes you strive for consistency.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9s_ukMz0e0

Dunking on everybody in the park

Personally watching this video a couple of times and adding one thing has made my shot improve by a mile!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejTrZOkFXtk

Steve Nash draining shots...

So watch that vid and compare your form to his.

Also maybe shot some really slow set shots so you work through the motions. If you video that, it's easier to see where you go wrong as it were.

I noticed that I shot the ball over my head like larry bird, which meant I never got blocked, my fadeaway was unstoppable, but I had no range, I tried and tried but could never get a three pointer, it was always short.

So after remodelling after steve nash, I changed the release to just in front, but the key in consistency was getting into the position called the shot pocket...I tuck my shooting arm close to my side and try and keep that motion the same every time I'm about to let a shot go...

I picked up that one from Blackjack. 3:15 onwards....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psra8...eature=related

Great job on changing your shot mechanics though...and it looks like it's paying off......

One thing though, i can't pin point it but something isn't quite right with your shot...when u miss is it mostly front rim?

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by stevieming
    Personally watching this video a couple of times and adding one thing has made my shot improve by a mile!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejTrZOkFXtk

Steve Nash draining shots...

So watch that vid and compare your form to his.

Also maybe shot some really slow set shots so you work through the motions. If you video that, it's easier to see where you go wrong as it were.

I noticed that I shot the ball over my head like larry bird, which meant I never got blocked, my fadeaway was unstoppable, but I had no range, I tried and tried but could never get a three pointer, it was always short.

So after remodelling after steve nash, I changed the release to just in front, but the key in consistency was getting into the position called the shot pocket...I tuck my shooting arm close to my side and try and keep that motion the same every time I'm about to let a shot go...

I picked up that one from Blackjack. 3:15 onwards....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psra8...eature=related

Great job on changing your shot mechanics though...and it looks like it's paying off......

One thing though, i can't pin point it but something isn't quite right with your shot...when u miss is it mostly front rim?
    Great question. When I miss it is actually because I shot it of to the side, but I think that is due to me just being inconsistent with my new form and trying to get used to it. Do you have any other ideas on why?

Quote Originally Posted by Permodius
    Great question. When I miss it is actually because I shot it of to the side, but I think that is due to me just being inconsistent with my new form and trying to get used to it. Do you have any other ideas on why?
    if you are shooting off to the side then it could mean a number of different things

most likely its your feet and shoulders not staying square when you get to your release point. the might start square but if your right shoulder is a little bit ahead of your left one.

it could also be the placement of your left hand is impeding your shots motion.

it could as be that your thumb on your shooting hand is affecting the flight of the ball.

stay consistent. it will take time to make your shot impulsive. it wont happen over night. these are the "details" or "kinks" that shooters at any level deal with on a regular basis. even the best shooters in the world deal with them. why do you think the best shooters take tons of shots?
    Last edited by Burgz V2; 10-02-2012 at 06:48 PM.

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Actually, since someone brought up Nash, one thing you could take away from him too is his follow through. If you noticed, he usually keeps his arms up in the last position in his shot, then proceeds to bring them down as if he's tracing the air with his arms. It helps develop consistency. Best to practice them with form shooting again. I'm sorry if my description's a bit vague, but after a couple minutes of watching his shot, you'll see what I mean.

Learning to shoot layups

I appreciate all the help guys. As a sign of gratitude, I present you guys with a bonus clip. I noticed this little gem while reviewing all the footage I had of myself shooting around (over 1 hour). I know you guys will like it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N32al...ature=youtu.be

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
    Actually, since someone brought up Nash, one thing you could take away from him too is his follow through. If you noticed, he usually keeps his arms up in the last position in his shot, then proceeds to bring them down as if he's tracing the air with his arms. It helps develop consistency. Best to practice them with form shooting again. I'm sorry if my description's a bit vague, but after a couple minutes of watching his shot, you'll see what I mean.

He does have an extremely smooth and efficient stroke

I appreciate all the help guys. As a sign of gratitude, I present you guys with a bonus clip. I noticed this little gem while reviewing all the footage I had of myself shooting around (over 1 hour). I know you guys will like it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N32al...ature=youtu.be
    I'm guessing he started cracking up, but you got to finish that layup man.

Incredible improvement in such a short amount of time on your jumper. Yep, I would just work on getting used to the form. I noticed you occasionally get a weird hitch on the longer shots. That (reverting back) typically happens when you aren't conditioned to the form.

Good job.

looking great man, really big difference

everything looks solid. just remember to keep your form nice and tight until you actually shoot it.

you do a little hop forward, when your legs are gone you might notice your shot will start going short. try to go straight up and down. not a big deal tho, you have all the elements of a great shot in the future otherwise

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    looking great man, really big difference

everything looks solid. just remember to keep your form nice and tight until you actually shoot it.

you do a little hop forward, when your legs are gone you might notice your shot will start going short. try to go straight up and down. not a big deal tho, you have all the elements of a great shot in the future otherwise
    This is exactly true, and I notice that sometimes when I shoot free throws I lean forward after the shot and lose balance, making me take a step forward. I know that this has been an issue of mine but I honestly have no idea how to stop it. It seems that no matter which way I jump I land ahead of where I jumped from. This even happens when I try it without the ball. I try jumping straight up while going through the shooting motion and looking at my feet, and it seems like no matter what I do I end up hopping forward. Can you give me any tips on exactly how I can condition myself to go straight up and down? This has been one of the things that I just couldn't eliminate and have forgotten about.

This is exactly true, and I notice that sometimes when I shoot free throws I lean forward after the shot and lose balance, making me take a step forward. I know that this has been an issue of mine but I honestly have no idea how to stop it. It seems that no matter which way I jump I land ahead of where I jumped from. This even happens when I try it without the ball. I try jumping straight up while going through the shooting motion and looking at my feet, and it seems like no matter what I do I end up hopping forward. Can you give me any tips on exactly how I can condition myself to go straight up and down? This has been one of the things that I just couldn't eliminate and have forgotten about.
    its all about repetition. start slow, 5 feet in front of the hoop and take your jumpshot. you cant hop forward because it will affect your shot from that distance. start moving back gradually and repeat, as soon as you feel yourself hopping forward again, take a step in. your body does that because it's a habit , so you have to consciously train yourself to stop.

a little hop is fine, but again, when you are tired you'll start exaggerating it and thats no good because it throws off your depth perception. I used to have this problem too but i kinda worked my way out of it, no real easy way. just keep practicing.

Your jumper looks a LOT better than the videos you posted before.
    You also lost some weight as well. That's great.

Now, your jumper just needs to be and feel fundamental.

Have someone come with with you and run up to you with hands up while you shoot. His will help cement your form so its ALWAYS the same. It doesn't change.
    You want it as fundamental as possible. And you'll learn to release quicker. And all that stuff comes with time. But good stuff man. Your jumper looks way better. It's just one thing to do it in the gym alone, than live with people running towards you

Btw: how old are you?

Serious playground baller

Edit: I forgot to add, I would like to know if hopping into your jumpshot if you are set is traveling. Because this is one of the ways I have experimented when speeding up my jumpshot. I don't know exactly how to explain it but basically I drop into position instead of slowly bending my knees into position. Basically, I bend my knees to quickly that I am airborne for a split-second so that I land with my knees bent and ready to explode. I know that this is great off of the dribble but if you are set and you do this (since technically both feet leave the ground even if it is ever so slightly) I want to know if it is a travel. Honestly it isn't too important because I took the extra step and adjusted my hop by keeping my left forefoot on the ground and essentially tiptoeing for the small amount of time that my right foot and my left hind foot are airborne just to make sure that part of my foot is still grounded and I can't be called for the travel.

Edit: I found a video example of what I was talking about move, in the video this guy calls it a "drop."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvSQBiYO6Eg

This is definitely a walk but it is often over looked now. When you catch the ball ether off a dribble or off a pass if you have a foot set then that is your pivot foot. You can at no time lift and plant that foot because when it is planted it is a walk. Even on a layup if you take two full steps it is a walk. The correct way is to plant your first step as (slightly after) making your next step your pivot foot which can then be lifted.

The shot in the video is probably okay for the pros but that should be called a walk every time in lower levels.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by MJ(Mean John)
    Your jumper looks a LOT better than the videos you posted before.
    You also lost some weight as well. That's great.

Now, your jumper just needs to be and feel fundamental.

Have someone come with with you and run up to you with hands up while you shoot. His will help cement your form so its ALWAYS the same. It doesn't change.
    You want it as fundamental as possible. And you'll learn to release quicker. And all that stuff comes with time. But good stuff man. Your jumper looks way better. It's just one thing to do it in the gym alone, than live with people running towards you

Btw: how old are you?
    Thanks man, I'm definitely gonna take all of your advice to heart. And good eye on the weight loss. I have lost weight since I started attending the University because now I have access to an indoor gym and I'm able to play or practice much more often. Also thanks to the other poster for clearing up whether or not that was a travel. Oh, and I'm 21, ever since I started playing basketball at 16 I've been trying to catch up to everyone else by putting in ten times the work that they do.
    Last edited by Permodius; 03-16-2013 at 11:45 PM.