Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Samurai Swoosh

Default Re: I think the Lakers were a tougher matchup with Bynum

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    Before, teams were at a real disadvantage against the Lakers' size. Now, for example, Dallas could throw out Dirk and Kaman and they match their size. Denver could throw out McGee and Mozgov and they match their size. And so on and so forth.
    Lakers size advantage w/ Bynum was quickly overrated. As he was entirely overrated as a player as well.

Their size didn't give any teams fits, they lost two opening round playoff series, two years in a row with that "advantage"

Bottom line is Bynum playing alongside Gasol meant their games clashed. Both were low block players, and at times actually congested the lane for their own team on offense.

Bynum on defense provided great rebounding advantage, but given how slow he was and how minute his physical leap is ... teams could take advantage of that by bringing him out more.

Howard is a couple inches shorter, has almost the same wingspan, is a more durable player, faster, quicker, and light years more athletic. D12 will be a vast improvement for the Lakers over Bynum.

Made that high school varsity squad

lakers gave up too many lay ups last year with bynum as their center.... I don't care how much bigger bynum is, dwight guards the rim better with a smaller frame...

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Is this a serious post? Dwight Howard is BY FAR, BY FAR the best defensive force in the league, but they were tougher match up with Bynum who wasn't half the defensive player Howard is? What kind of ****ing stupid nonsense is this? Howard is a tower, Bynum is big and slow, Howard is the most athletic GOOD center since David Robinson. He's been a legit power and speed center his entire career. Why do you think he averages so many fta's per shot? Because he's so fast and strong that teams are just forced to foul him. This thread is a god damn joke.

bynum got abused when put in the pick and roll, or in pindowns against okc last year. that wont be a problem for dwight. dwights mobility is a huge gain for the laker defense.

Banned

Not to mention the addition of Steve nash and multiple other key players. Tougher is the one thing they will be.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    This is false; Bynum's standing reach is 9'4" and Howard's is 9'3.5".

Anyway, I wasn't just talking about height/reach, I meant sheer size/mass. Bynum takes up more space than any player since Shaq, completely closes down the lane. Howard doesn't do that. I've seen enough of DH to know, as an eastern conference fan.

Before, teams were at a real disadvantage against the Lakers' size. Now, for example, Dallas could throw out Dirk and Kaman and they match their size. Denver could throw out McGee and Mozgov and they match their size. And so on and so forth.
    If I'm not mistaken, those are Dwight and Bynum's measurements as they were entering the league. I've read throughout the last year that Dwight's reach has "out-lengthed" Bynum's since; when I get home tonight and do some browsing and see if I find a reputable source stating that.

This disadvantage you speak of was virtually non-existent when the most important time of the year arose the last two years. Teams that are athletic would run up and down the court consistently at Bynum's dismay, and would exploit he and the Lakers greatest weakness on defense: pick and roll coverage.

Now in place of him you have the best defender in the league, the best pick and roll defending big man in the league, and the best pick and roll big offensively in the league. The Lakers needed to become more athletically capable both offensively and defensively - they answered their woes with Dwight.

OP is the same guy who's said the Celtics were legit contenders for the last 2 years but that these lakers only have a 1 year window....

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    OP is the same guy who's said the Celtics were legit contenders for the last 2 years but that these lakers only have a 1 year window....
    Fact and fact.

NBA rookie of the year Kurosawa0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by All Net
    To be honest Perkins being able to guard Dwight is one of the biggest myths in the NBA. He got that rep for one playoff series I believe but Dwight doesn't have his way with him any less than he does everybody else. He still has shot 56-60% whenever perk guarded him over the years and Nash is only going to make Dwight's life even easier.
    The reason Perk is considered a good defender for Dwight is because you don't have to help. Dwight's going to get his numbers, but if you have Kendrick Perkins then you'll live with one on one coverage. There's a reason Boston gave Orlando so many fits over the years.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa0
    The reason Perk is considered a good defender for Dwight is because you don't have to help. Dwight's going to get his numbers, but if you have Kendrick Perkins then you'll live with one on one coverage. There's a reason Boston gave Orlando so many fits over the years.
    You didn't answer my question bro

Perkins' greatest weakness outside of offensive ineptitude?

Great college starter SyRyanYang's Avatar

To be fair Bynum struggles more against Perkins if anything.

Only Zaza Pachulia and Jason Collins can guard Dwight.

Very good NBA starter

Lol at the Lakers being worse by getting a better player. For all of Bynum's strengths he was never consistent with his defense nor could he keep his head in the game at all times. Dwight by himself can change the whole defensive complexity of a team. I've yet to see someone post proof that Dwight plays horribly against Perkins it's just one of those things on the internet that enough people repeat and it somehow becomes gospel. This is actually worse for OKC because defensively Gasol can be the anchor while Dwight is free to roam around on the defense since Perkins is not an offensive threat at all. Lakers should focus on being the best defensive team in the league, the offense will work itself out.

Good High School Starter

A lot of wishful thinking going on in this thread.

By mid-season, these same naysayers will be singing a different tune: "Of course, the Lakers are better, they added a DPOY and top 3 player in the game."

Just wait.

Banned

I think everyone completely agrees with you and if Bynum recovers from this latest injury and stopss getting hurt all the time, yes it's a bad trade for LA.

No one is scared of Howard, he has 2 post moves and gives up really easy. Bynum didn't give a shit and was aggressive and got his shot off even against double teams, because he refused to pass.