Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: Where Americans are moving to. Guess what state has 3 of the top 5?

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    Austin is about the farthest thing from NYC on the planet...I can't think of anything those two cities have in common.

Dallas is the closest thing to NYC in Texas...and we have plenty of great food
    100% agree here. I'm just saying hipsters from Austin think they are just as..."hip" as New Yorkers. They think their music scene is as good or better and their artists are just as talented.

You don't know what you're talking about...

Austin is primarily a college town and it is RETARDEDLY LIBERAL

It is about as hippie as it gets, every coffee shop comes equiped with a long haired musician lol

Bill Maher goes there for stand ups and is hailed as a king

All that being said I don't know how you would gauge how liberal a city is compared to another, but I have heard Austin reffered to as the second most liberal city in the country behind SF more than once.
    I've been to Austin. It ain't Berkeley. It ain't Northampton. I bet it's not Marin County or Santa Cruz or Madison either. Yes, it has a giant campus there, but it also is a political center unlike any of the towns, I mentioned.

Also. Again Austin didn't even make any of the three or four lists I checked.

From the Daily Caller
    20. Orange County, N.C.
    Largest city: Chapel Hill
    19. Hampshire County, Mass.
    Largest city: Amherst
    18. Westchester County, N.Y.
    Largest city: Yonkers
    17. Washtenaw County, Mich.
    Largest city: Ann Arbor
    16. Multnomah County, Ore.
    Largest city: Portland
    15. King County, Wash.
    Largest city: Seattle
    14. City of Alexandria, Va.
    Independent city
    13. Arlington County, Va.
    Arlington County has no recognized subdivisions
    12. Santa Cruz County, Calif.
    Largest city: Santa Cruz
    11. Chittenden County, Vt.
    Largest city: Burlington
    10. Washington, D.C.
    Co-terminus with the District of Columbia
    9. San Mateo County, Calif.
    Largest city: Daly City
    8. Dane County, Wis.
    Largest city: Madison
    7. Santa Clara County, Calif.
    Largest city: San Jose
    6. Middlesex County, Mass.
    Largest city: Lowell
    5. New York County, N.Y.
    Co-terminus with the Borough of Manhattan
    4. Boulder County, Colo.
    Largest city: Boulder
    3. Marin County, Calif.
    Largest city: San Rafael
    2. Montgomery County, M.d.
    Largest city: Rockville
    1. City and County of San Francisco
    Co-terminus with the City of San Francisco
    From Human Events
    10. Seattle, Wash.
    9. Newark, N.J.
    8. Berkeley, Calif.
    7. Madison, Wis.
    6. Portland, Ore.
    5. Washington, D.C.
    4. Detroit, Mich.
    3. New York, N.Y.
    2. Boston, Mass.
    1. San Francisco, Calif.
    So please consider you don't know what you're talking about.

Austin is about the farthest thing from NYC on the planet...I can't think of anything those two cities have in common.

I know a lot of New Yorkers who have been to Austin, very few that have been to Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    I know a lot of New Yorkers who have been to Austin, very few that have been to Dallas.
    Yup...not sure how he got to that thought. Dallas is full of a bunch of rich white dudes.

National High School Star

I tried to start a Republican group at St. Edwards. No one joined.

I had to join the Blue Dog Democrat group. Austin shows no love to the right; smh.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
    I tried to start a Republican group at St. Edwards. No one joined.

I had to join the Blue Dog Democrat group. Austin shows no love to the right; smh.
    There might still be hope for you then.

Lots of great things about Texas but Im not sure Id want to raise a child there considering the reputation of its public schools.

Detroit not on list = rigged

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

I've been to Austin. It ain't Berkeley. It ain't Northampton. I bet it's not Marin County or Santa Cruz or Madison either. Yes, it has a giant campus there, but it also is a political center unlike any of the towns, I mentioned.

Also. Again Austin didn't even make any of the three or four lists I checked.

From the Daily Caller

From Human Events

So please consider you don't know what you're talking about.
    Oh you have been to Austin? I used to live ther and have a dozen freinds taht went to school there. And like I said earlier I don't know how you rank how liberal a city is, so those two lists mean nothing to me really.

point is, the city is extremely liberal...period

Quote Originally Posted by Dbrog
    Yup...not sure how he got to that thought. Dallas is full of a bunch of rich white dudes.
    the city of Austin is NOTHING like New York...NOTHING

and I have no idea where you would get the idea it is...oh, you know some New Yorkers that haev "been there"

please, tell me how Austin resembles New York? lol

Dallas has a large down town area and professional sport teams...those two things alone make it closer to NY than Austin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    Lots of great things about Texas but Im not sure Id want to raise a child there considering the reputation of its public schools.
    Texas has great public schools...I posted the stats on the other page, #12 overall I believe...and great colleges obviously

This "reputation" is the evolution thing? lol

amazing what the media can do

Texas has great public schools...I posted the stats on the other page, #12 overall I believe...and great colleges obviously

This "reputation" is the evolution thing? lol

amazing what the media can do
    I base that reputation on people I know and not the media. I work at a furm that is originally headquartered in Texas so a lot of the people I work with grew up there and didnt have good things to say about the public school system.

Oh you have been to Austin? I used to live ther and have a dozen freinds taht went to school there. And like I said earlier I don't know how you rank how liberal a city is, so those two lists mean nothing to me really.

point is, the city is extremely liberal...period
    Yes I understand it's liberal. It's simply not most the liberal. I chose two conservative sources for those lists. You can see what criteria they chose.

the city of Austin is NOTHING like New York...NOTHING
    and I have no idea where you would get the idea it is...oh, you know some New Yorkers that have "been there"

please, tell me how Austin resembles New York? lol

Dallas has a large down town area and professional sport teams...those two things alone make it closer to NY than Austin.
    Never said they "resembled" each other. I understand that Dallas is a larger city. However Austin definitely holds much more appeal to most New Yorkers than Dallas. My point about the New Yorkers who had been to Austin is most would not ever think of vacationing in Dallas.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

as usual, prime is blinded by homerism. and really, maher, a libertarian is who you choose to show how liberal austin is?

Now, Austin is liberal, but very far from being the most liberal city in the US. It sticks out because it is in Texas.