Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: dwight hitting jumpers

if i remember correctly, in scouting reports it said Dwight already had a decent jumpshot in high school.

Dwight Howard>>>>>>>>Shaquille O'Neil

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by ElPigto
    Robinson also happened to have good footwork and could pass out of the post.
    Robinson's footwork wasn't that great, in fact he did most of his damage facing the basket, shooting jumpers, driving to the basket and running the floor.

I agree that Dwight doesn't need a jumper. All he needs to do is refine his running hook and jump hook a bit as well as his spin move and then add a countermove as well as improve his passing. if he does that then he could be the best player in the league.

A jumper isn't bad for centers, Olajuwon, Ewing, Duncan and Robinson all had them. But the best jumper for a big man is a turnaround, that was Olajuwon's go to move and Ewing also had a great one.

I do think that a jumper could help, but it's not a necessity. Dwight does like to face up a lot and a decent jumper would make him the defender think a bit more about what Dwight is going to do.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD
    I don't understand this. Dwight has the strength and size to dominate the low post. Why is he practicing jumpers when it is his post game needs work? He may develop an ok jumper, but if he had a good post game and was a semi decent free throw shooter he would be dominant.
    Body balance is key, for his lower body and potence is not even close to what his upper body appearance would make it seem to be. No more gathering himself under the rim for dunks or being abused by Yao. He requires proper strength balance throughout his body and needs to play his natural position as a power forward. The league has discouraged post play for some years now, best be for him and the Orlando Magic office to play him as a power forward, being that he is 6'9.

National High School Star MrUnstopable's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Body balance is key, for his lower body and potence is not even close to what his upper body appearance would make it seem to be. No more gathering himself under the rim for dunks or being abused by Yao. He requires proper strength balance throughout his body and needs to play his natural position as a power forward. The league has discouraged post play for some years now, best be for him and the Orlando Magic office to play him as a power forward, being that he is 6'9.
    As an 18 year old coming out of high school..

Lakers 4 life. Kobe!

Quote Originally Posted by IInvented
    Dwight Howard>>>>>>>>Shaquille O'Neil
    He can't post up to save his life. Also, stop comparing Howard to the past greats. Most of them already have crazy inside game to begin with. Howard? Does dunking even count?

Decent college freshman

Ok 6'10, due to inflation of shoe height.

Ok 6'10, due to inflation of shoe height.
    No wrong again.. Howard is 6'11... He dwarfs a lot of big men..

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Robinson's footwork wasn't that great, in fact he did most of his damage facing the basket, shooting jumpers, driving to the basket and running the floor.

I agree that Dwight doesn't need a jumper. All he needs to do is refine his running hook and jump hook a bit as well as his spin move and then add a countermove as well as improve his passing. if he does that then he could be the best player in the league.

A jumper isn't bad for centers, Olajuwon, Ewing, Duncan and Robinson all had them. But the best jumper for a big man is a turnaround, that was Olajuwon's go to move and Ewing also had a great one.

I do think that a jumper could help, but it's not a necessity. Dwight does like to face up a lot and a decent jumper would make him the defender think a bit more about what Dwight is going to do.
    I stand corrected on Robinson.

Going back to point though, Dwight is a beast physically. Does he have any real need for a jumper when he is stronger than the majority of his opponents? I'm not saying that Dwight will be better than Shaq by any means but my basis of comparison is that Dwight is a much more powerful guy than mostly every center in this league. Perhaps the only one he has been unable to truly conquer has been Yao, but other than that no one else would have a chance against him.

Timmy is on the downside of his career. Shaq is on his way out. Deke is no longer here. Yao is out for the season and probably will be retiring within a few years. No one has a chance against Dwight in this league. The only real threats seem to be Bynum and Oden; even then they seem to need a few more seasons.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by MrUnstopable
    No wrong again.. Howard is 6'11... He dwarfs a lot of big men..
    The wise man shall agree to disagree.

High School Starter LutherHeadJob's Avatar

Yay Dwight is developing a jumper!

Maybe try a hook shot first.

Why are there so many Houston fans in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by MrUnstopable
    Why are there so many Houston fans in this thread?
    I personally love Dwight as a player and I'm hoping he becomes the next great center. This decade has seriously lacked the competition of great big men.

Quote Originally Posted by ElPigto
    I personally love Dwight as a player and I'm hoping he becomes the next great center. This decade has seriously lacked the competition of great big men.
    No don't get me wrong I don't mind but I didn't know there were so many Houston fans

Good High School Starter

The wise man shall agree to disagree.
    Okafor measured nearly 6'9 without shoes out of college, and 6'10 with them on, and Howard is a good two inches taller than him now. Hes' definitely grown and is a legit 6'11.