Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default Is soccer the most difficult sport to learn?

since it involves your feet and people aren't accustomed to doing things other than walking/running with their feet, but definitely not in those soccer motions.

where as basketball, football, baseball, etc. all revolve around the upper body and arms, and we're constantly using those in different ways every day where they're easier sports to become familiar with? i mean who hasn't thrown a piece of trash into a far away trash can? thrown a ball to someone else? caught a ball?

think of it this way. from the people who have never played soccer, how awful and uncoordinated do they look when they try? as opposed to first times playing basketball, football, baseball?

I rule the local playground

Default Re: Is soccer the most difficult sport to learn?

I think soccer is much easier than basketball.
    Set plays in basketball are much harder. You don't have anything like the zone defense in soccer.
    Shooting in basketball is harder than kicking the ball. Basketball is also a game that requires more intelligence.
    Seriously. Soccer is a lot lot easier.

High School Varsity 6th Man SALFORD-RED's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle
    since it involves your feet and people aren't accustomed to doing things other than walking/running with their feet, but definitely not in those soccer motions.

where as basketball, football, baseball, etc. all revolve around the upper body and arms, and we're constantly using those in different ways every day where they're easier sports to become familiar with? i mean who hasn't thrown a piece of trash into a far away trash can? thrown a ball to someone else? caught a ball?

think of it this way. from the people who have never played soccer, how awful and uncoordinated do they look when they try? as opposed to first times playing basketball, football, baseball?

Well I've always said this, you can take a 16 year old athletic specimem and turn him into a football, basketball or baseball player.

However you cannot do the same in Hockey, tennis or soccer.

The mechanics and techniques to be successful at these sports need to embedded and trained in from a very early stage, whereas for example Patrick Ewing and Andrew Bynum took up basketball very late and made it into the NBA. There would be no equivalent in soccer.

NUGGETS ALL THE WAY Mr Clutch Melo's Avatar

Controlling with your hands is 10 times easier than with your feet and refs allow for physical playing which makes it even more difficult to controll the ball. Shooting the ball is much much easier with your hands, than your feet.

How the hell does basketball require more intelligence ?

7-time NBA All-Star OneMoreSucka's Avatar

Baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle

just as much as when you try any other sport for the first time. its no harder or easier. its not like soccer players control the ball perfectly all the time. i had no more trouble learning soccer, and its by far the sport im best at.

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    No. Extreme ironing is the hardest sport to learn.
    I concur...

Its curling where its at!

Hockey is the hardest

Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreSucka
    Baseball.
    this. its the only sport where physical ability doesn't give you any clear cut advantage.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Not really, but it is difficult to master.

National High School Star

In ways soccer does have a very high learning curve. I remember feeling absolutely retarded trying to dribble the ball when I started. It also takes a long time to kick the ball correctly (with the laces and all). Simple things like developing a good first touch can take many years to learn.

One tough thing about soccer is you need to play with a good team to have success. If you play with people that don't like to pass or you just don't mesh well with, it's going to be very very frustrating. One person can't try to take a team on by himself, it just doesn't work that way. Ball-hoggers get punished in soccer while they get praised in other sports.

Saw a basketball once

Nope. I picked up soccer pretty quickly. Of course I had my faults, but I was pretty good for a beginner. It honestly depends on your position.

Golf.

IMO Sepak Takraw is the hardest sport I've seen.

NBA rookie of the year IlliniFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkain
    Golf.
    This.