Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default George Jones passed away today

Most people here probably do not know who he was.

One of music's most influential singers and symbolic of an era gone by, and now frozen in the archives of time.

RIP George!

Banned

Default Re: George Jones passed away today

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
    Just came back here to post that.

A true great one. His autobiography is absolutely an amazing read. As a lifelong alcoholic he was introduced to cocaine by the Muscle Shoales, AL police force. They gave him coke because they knew he would be their biggest customer. When his wife tried to move him out of town to get him clean, they arrested her a trumped up traffic charge and basically kidnapped him and gave him some more coke.

My first exposure to him was from a country-punk band in NYC that was just to early to catch the alt-country wave. They would have been big. As a rock fan at the time, I pretty much knew only Johnny Cash and very little other country music. They played originals and punk covers and other country covers. Since I didn't recognize the non-punk covers, I thought they wrote most of them.

I really thought they wrote He Stopped Loved Her Today.

In the book, he says that final song is actually made from three different sessions because he was never sober enough to get through the whole song in one take.
    Last edited by KevinNYC; 04-26-2013 at 01:02 PM.

not a fan of country music, but know he was a big presence in that genre. rip

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket_Nakedz
    not a fan of country music, but know he was a big presence in that genre. rip
    Yeah, but others like Frank Sinatra and Elvis Costello respected him a lot. He was one of those guys who can be appreciated by folks outside that genre.

His voice was extra twangy and when I first got my wife into him, she couldn't listen to him for more than a couple of songs at first.

Elvis Costello does a great version of his song called A Good Year for the Roses. Amazingly sad song about divorce.

Merle Haggard put it best, perhaps: “The world has lost the greatest country singer of all time. Amen.”

And Dolly Parton added, “My heart is absolutely broken. George Jones was my all time favorite singer and one of my favorite people in the world.”

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Just came back here to post that.

A true great one. His autobiography is absolutely an amazing read. As a lifelong alcoholic he was introduced to cocaine by the Muscle Shoales, AL police force. They gave him coke because they knew he would be their biggest customer. When his wife tried to move him out of town to get him clean, they arrested her a trumped up traffic charge and basically kidnapped him and gave him some more coke.

My first exposure to him was from a country-punk band in NYC that was just to early to catch the alt-country wave. They would have been big. As a rock fan at the time, I pretty much knew only Johnny Cash and very little other country music. They played originals and punk covers and other country covers. Since I didn't recognize the non-punk covers, I thought they wrote most of them.

I really thought they wrote He Stopped Loved Her Today.

In the book, he says that final song is actually made from three different sessions because he was never sober enough to get through the whole song in one take.
    he didnt write that either, though it was his last real hit.
    Always been a fan, iconic country voice

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    he didnt write that either, though it was his last real hit.
    Yeah, I realize he used songwriters, but my point was I thought this local bar band wrote that song, not knowing it was the biggest hit of George Jones's career. I may not have even known his name. I also thought they wrote The Green, Green Grass of Home and Tonight The Bottle Let me Down. I recognized when they did a New York Dolls or Social Distortion cover though.

Drunk HeeHaw motherfu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]ker. RIP

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Yeah, I realize he used songwriters,

Just based on personal observation it seems like country singers more than any other genre of artists do this. Never really been sure why.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
    Just based on personal observation it seems like country singers more than any other genre of artists do this. Never really been sure why.

Still wonder why this is

the WHITE side

same amount of red bars on both gimmick accounts

no matter what characters you come up with, red is your destiny.

cheers man.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Still wonder why this is
    Pop singers (the original pop singer though.) The likes if Frank Sinatra, Johnny Mathis, Tony Bennett, Barbra Streisand, The Mills Brothers, Liza Minnelli, Billy Eckstine, ect.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Pop singers (the original pop singer though.) The likes if Frank Sinatra, Johnny Mathis, Tony Bennett, Barbra Streisand, The Mills Brothers, Liza Minnelli, Billy Eckstine, ect.

True, good point

rnb singers too