Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Living in the mid-90's > any era

Haterade is slowly becoming one of my favorite posters.

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    On the same token modern technology has made us regress as people. I've pointed out today's technology has taken our ability to communicate face to face. Our advancement in technology has also made our workload a whole lot heavier thus cutting into friends and family time.
    IMO, modern technology has made us less human
    I completely disagree. Technology has only opened your eyes to all the idiots you didn't know were there in the first place.

There is no question that technology empowers people. It lessens your workload in every way by making it easier and more streamlined than ever. If you want to become enslaved to your phone, tablet, and boss then it's only a sign of your own weakness. My technology provides me freedom, knowledge, and ease of work that I could barely dream of back in the 90's.

The modern day is better than ever despite whatever nostalgia people are clinging to that makes them think otherwise.

Local High School Star No_Look604's Avatar

90's R&B party jams >> all hip hop of today X 1000000000

I won't even bring 90's hip hop into discussion...we have Drake and Wiz now to laugh at...Urkel dudes.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    I completely disagree. Technology has only opened your eyes to all the idiots you didn't know were there in the first place.

There is no question that technology empowers people. It lessens your workload in every way by making it easier and more streamlined than ever. If you want to become enslaved to your phone, tablet, and boss then it's only a sign of your own weakness. My technology provides me freedom, knowledge, and ease of work that I could barely dream of back in the 90's.

The modern day is better than ever despite whatever nostalgia people are clinging to that makes them think otherwise.

America is in the biggest debt it's ever been in and you think the modern day is better than ever?

Personally... I dont think more technology is bad.. I think the profit driven society we live in what makes it bad...

when the bottom line to everything is profit? quality suffers..

Quote Originally Posted by LBJFTW
    America is in the biggest debt it's ever been in and you think the modern day is better than ever?
    Uh, the op, nor myself, were really centering this thread around the national deficit or political climate.

Banned

Uh, the op, nor myself, were really centering this thread around the national deficit or political climate.
    Maybe, but it definitely adds to the nostalgia effect. If people were generally more prosperous and felt safer then, makes sense that they would look more favorably at that time than the present.

Well personally, me, my family, and my friends are doing much better than in the 80's and 90's. Although that's just my experience.

Banned

Well personally, me, my family, and my friends are doing much better than in the 80's and 90's. Although that's just my experience.
    There you go then, makes sense that you personally don't hold those times in such high regard. But the overall economy now isn't what it was in the 90s, so there are a lot of people who don't feel as secure/prosperous/etc as they did. Then couple that with the post 9/11 fear state. People feeling that pop culture is being compromised. This is all general and obviously not everyone agrees, case in point you.

I think we bottomed out during the end of the last decade and we're slowing on the ascent, so maybe we'll experience another renaissance like we did in the mid-late 90s and people will look back fondly on that time to. Right now there's a lot of uncertainty but I think there's a whole lot more optimism than there was 5 years ago.

So we'll see how it all plays out.

I was speaking in terms of America as a whole. I make six figures now and I didn't in the 90's, but I'd take the mid 90's with less pay over today's era any day of the week because simply put, it was a better time to live in. Perfect balance all things considered.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    There you go then, makes sense that you personally don't hold those times in such high regard. But the overall economy now isn't what it was in the 90s, so there are a lot of people who don't feel as secure/prosperous/etc as they did. Then couple that with the post 9/11 fear state. People feeling that pop culture is being compromised. This is all general and obviously not everyone agrees, case in point you.

I think we bottomed out during the end of the last decade and we're slowing on the ascent, so maybe we'll experience another renaissance like we did in the mid-late 90s and people will look back fondly on that time to. Right now there's a lot of uncertainty but I think there's a whole lot more optimism than there was 5 years ago.

So we'll see how it all plays out.
    I hold them in very high regard, but given modern technology and all the associated conveniences both professionally and socially it's no contest as to which is better.

People are always prisoners of nostalgia. There's no doubt about that and this thread is proof of it. Buncha kids who miss high school and college. There is nothing that is significantly better about the 90's than the present day.

I hold them in very high regard, but given modern technology and all the associated conveniences both professionally and socially it's no contest as to which is better.

People are always prisoners of nostalgia. There's no doubt about that and this thread is proof of it. Buncha kids who miss high school and college. There is nothing that is significantly better about the 90's than the present day.
    But there is and most of it has conveniently been laid out in this thread for all to appreciate and acknowledge.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

I guess the key word here is 'significantly'.

But music was certainly better overall. Perhaps not significantly, but it was better.

Banned

There is nothing that is significantly better about the 90's than the present day.
    The economy.

College star

The mid 90's was definitely the best part of that decade. The beginning of 90's had it's issues, and the end was basically the transition into what we have now, but the middle was where everything that was good about that time seemed to peak. It was the end of an era, and the beginning of everyone being blasted into the Information Age.

I don't hate technology at all. In fact I'm pissed that we haven't got more of it for this day and age. I mean in the 20th century fools were talking about flying cars, Mars missions, space colonies, and personal robots and shit, when we were supposed to be this deep into the 2000's. Aside from mass communication, access to a cluster **** of information, and some very cool entertainment sources, what the hell do we have that is so great? We still drive cars, fly inefficient airplanes, there's a none existent space program, no cure for cancer (more people dying from it actually), GMO shit food, an infrastructure the American Society of Civil Engineers give a D+, people still slaving 40 to 60 hours plus a week for jobs that could be automated, or sitting in cubicles for bullshit insurance, and banking companies that produce nothing tangible. While as technology has progressed to make things like computers, cell phones, email, blackberries, etc. available, it doesn't make your job easier because you are constantly connected, and can't get away from work always on call.

For Christ's sake can't we at least get a transcontinental maglev train already.

Mid 90's had hope.