Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Exposing Oscar Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by griffmoney1784
    going by that... blake griffin is a top 20 player all time right now
    Not true. Griffin is nowhere near as good as Jordan was during that time period. It was significant for Blake to even be selected as an allstar. Call me when they are talking about him as the best player in the game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    You cant possibly believe 10 people ever played basketball better than Jordan could as of 1990....so im not sure why you even said that. There is no way you really just missed the point.

Just looking to argue?

playing great doesnt make you top 10 all time

only greatness equals greatness

and mikes so called greatness didnt equal anything until 91

tallent alone is just potential...

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

going by that... blake griffin is a top 20 player all time right now
    Mroe than 20 people have played better than he is now so...no. He is not.

and kobe was top 5 all time by age 23
    Id give him 25 or so. Id have to think about it for a moment and really make a list. But Kobe isnt much better now than he was then. If hes top 10 now he was top 10 by 2007.

who the hell goes by "flashes of brilliance" in regular season basketball on 30 win teams to judge all time status?
    Jordan wasnt a flash of brilliance before 1991....

Very good NBA starter

Id give him 25 or so. Id have to think about it for a moment and really make a list. But Kobe isnt much better now than he was then. .
    So Kobe is top 25?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    Not true. Griffin is nowhere near as good as Jordan was during that time period. It was significant for Blake to even be selected as an allstar. Call me when they are talking about him as the best player in the game.
    where did i say blake griffin is better than jordan or ever has been

you guys are ranking all time status based on flashes of brilliance or moments of skill level or potential

did you guys have tracy mcgrady as a top 10 player all time in 2003? because he had some huge nights in the regular season too?

Banned

Id give him 25 or so. Id have to think about it for a moment and really make a list. But Kobe isnt much better now than he was then. If hes top 10 now he was top 10 by 2007.

so your ranking guys based on pure tallent without accomplishments or achivements... and you have the closest thing to michael jordan ranked 24 spots lower

you are phucking retarded

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

So Kobe is top 25?
    As I said...not much better. He did get better. But not much. And there isnt much of a difference between top 10 and 25 ability wise. Once you get past the big 6...get Hakeem and Shaq out of the way too...the players are on pretty much the same level for a long time.

Whatever Kobe is now...hes been for a while. I dont have an exact number. I do remember now in 2003 I made a list and I think I had him at like...23. Hes higher now...because he improved. But he didnt improve much. But like I said...isnt much between 20 and 10 ability wise. People often have guys like Barkley or Isiah around 20 and guys they outplayed plenty of times top 8-12. The exact number doesnt much matter.

playing great doesnt make you top 10 all time
    If only 9 people play better than you it does.

only greatness equals greatness
    You know thats from a commercial that clearly states "Winning doesnt equal greatness"?

and mikes so called greatness didnt equal anything until 91

tallent alone is just potential...
    Jordan wasj ust...potentially great until the buzzer sounded at the end of the 91 finals?

Just..had it in him to be great?

We have reached the point where the case being made doesnt need to be argued against if the reader has a hint of common sense. The only person to convince of anything would be you...and if you think Jordan only had "so called greatness" until a buzzer blew that granted him no new ability...you cant see the obvious. So why bother?

Do your thing. Im gonna watch the Cleveland show and eat some banana pudding. I'll enjoy that. And I hope you enjoy your "reverse trolling". Night all....
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 03-10-2011 at 03:44 AM.

where did i say blake griffin is better than jordan or ever has been
    You compared their situations as both players playing at a high level but prior to winning anything. And I'm telling you that your examples are crap because what Blake proved is to be an all-star, and what Jordan proved was to be one of the best individual players ever.

you guys are ranking all time status based on flashes of brilliance or moments of skill level or potential
    No, we are talking about how a player in his prime plays the game of basketball, and how there were not 10 players to step onto the hardwood who played the game at a higher level than Jordan did prior to winning his rings.

did you guys have tracy mcgrady as a top 10 player all time in 2003? because he had some huge nights in the regular season too?
    Since you weren't around to watch the league at that time, it might surprise you that many people around the league had McGrady as highly regarded as a perimeter wing as guys like Kobe, Carter, Pierce, etc, because he was playing the game of basketball at a level that was elite among his peers.

Why do you keep acting as if how a player plays the game is irrelevant? Greatness isn't a highlander moment as Kblaze points out that only instantly bestows itself upon the worthy at the very moment victory is decided.
    Last edited by Showtime; 03-10-2011 at 03:43 AM.

Banned

kblaze and showtime are shitty trolls compared to me

atleast people believe what im saying is what i actually think

theyre basic level 1 trolls that cant make people like me believe what theyre saying is truly what they believe.

asside from that...

il play the game just because i have nothing else to do since my ps3 is doing an update..

ranking players is based on accomplishments/records/achivements/sustained dominance/longevity

not just tallent

because everyone in the nba is tallented. and theres been litterally hundreds of guys with all time great level skills that never did learn how to transfer them into wins, or productiveness. and they went from hyped players to bottomed out buyout contracts like darius miles...

because half the game is MENTAL. and what seperates guys like kobe from guys like lebron is MENTAL.... not a skill at all and it can only be realised through achivements in pressure situations.

Very good NBA starter

As I said...not much better. He did get better. But not much. And there isnt much of a difference between top 10 and 25 ability wise. Once you get past the big 6...get Hakeem and Shaq out of the way too...the players are on pretty much the same level for a long time.

Whatever Kobe is now...hes been for a while. I dont have an exact number. I do remember now in 2003 I made a list and I think I had him at like...23. Hes higher now...because he improved. But he didnt improve much. But like I said...isnt much between 20 and 10 ability wise. People often have guys like Barkley or Isiah around 20 and guys they outplayed plenty of times top 8-12. The exact number doesnt much matter.

Please give me 22 guys better than Peak Kobe, which 03 Kobe was.

30 PPG/7 RPG/6 APG/2 SPG/1 BPG/55% TS with 1st Team All-Defense.

Had a stretch where he scored 40+ points in nine straight games and 35+ in 13 straight. Best rebounding guard in the league. Most clutch player in the league. Arguably the best non-PG play-maker. Arguably the best defender at his position.

#23?

LOL

And a guy like Isiah certainly isn't in Kobe's class. Wow.

kblaze and showtime are shitty trolls compared to me
    That's right. You take the cake when it comes to trolling, and we can't even compare to the mastery of trolling that you display.

atleast people believe what im saying is what i actually think
    And yet everybody in this thread has posted against your points.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore Holy Random's Avatar

Honestly I don't know why Kblaze and Showtime waste's there time talking with these pre teen Kobe jockers. I hope you guys don't stop posting because you are sick of retards like those two.

Very good NBA starter

Oh u mad.

How hard is it to figure out that one group of posters is ranking players based on their peak and prime play and another based on their accomplishments and career? Both are valid ways to rank players. Jordan was easily Top 10 by 1990 based on peak/prime play. LeBron James is Top 15 right now at least. However, careerwise, Jordan was not Top 10 by 1990 and LeBron James is not Top 15 right now.

As for Oscar, though he maybe a little overrated, this thread has gone too far. In fact, Oscar at #5 makes more sense then what the OP is selling. Bill Russell once called Oscar Robertson the "GOAT". That should say enough.

Oscar robertson is probably number 4 on the list of alltime greatest retired players, dude had moves, a disclaimer to anyone reading these posts, 90 percent of the people engaging in this conversation including myself were either not born or very young when he was an active player so many of the people on here who say a lot about him and dont mention they were old enough to see or read about or hear him play dont know what there talking about, so take these posts with no more than a grain of salt.