Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Default Re: Players Owned League

I think creating a whole new league is unrealistic, but at the end of the day the players don't need to have an actual league to keep interest/generate money. Some of these Players are stars and because of that people will pay to watch them play with or without their NBA teams. Its up to them to capitilize on it.

Just think about it, wouldn't you have liked to see some of those famed games we've heard about all summer where the biggest stars were playing on street ball courts? All the Players (or their representatives) would have to do is secure a TV deal to televise those games and sponsors to finance it. With the association that certain players already have with companies like Nike, Coca-Cola, etc. I doubt they would have to look very far to find a powerful sponsor. This is so obvious to me that its amazing to me that with the amount of money players pay for lawyers, agents and managers that nobody has tried to put this plan into motion.

Not trying to be harsh, but when I think about how much money the Players would have generated if they put the right business mentality into these "celebrity classic" type of games they've been having I think some of these guys should be fired.

But luckily for the Players its not too late. I still honestly belief that if they can get 10 or so stars interested and have decent squads featuring mostly NBA players around them I can see this working.
    Last edited by 2LeTTeRS; 10-12-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Default Re: Players Owned League

Quote Originally Posted by Walker
    Three letters for anyone who actually think this would work...

XFL

Never heard of it? Not surprised.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFL

Two of the most successful business men of this era, Vince McMahon and Ted Turner, with all the resources of two multi billion dollar companies, WWE and Time Warner couldn't get a new professional league off the ground.
    They had the stadiums, had the TV deals. They tried everything to poach players from the NFL. How many crossed over? None.
    Why? These guys have 10 odd years to make their money, the money that has to fund the rest of their lives. You think players are gonna give up guarenteed money and take a risk on a new start up league, wake up.

The sheer amount of money need to start a professional league is absurd. Vince McMahon (multi billionaire, not like these multi millionaires) reportedly lost half his net worth in the venture.
    And you really think these players are going to put up their money to do it?
    If the XFL had started during a lockout the 2 situations would be comparable. As it stands there is no comparison because the NFL already had the best players under contract.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Should NBA players someday start their own league? Amare's cool with it

I am pretty sure the players weren't allowed to play for profit this summer as per being in the union. Otherwise players would play in barnstorming leagues in the off season all the time.

Default Re: Should NBA players someday start their own league? Amare's cool with it

yeah