Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Default Re: Moving to Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    c'mon, don't shit all over it. i haven't kept up with it in the slightest, but unless it's changed drastically in the last five years, i can't imagine it's that bad. i used to love the cfl and there were some great players. doug flutie, danny macmanus, pretty sure cavillo is still doing his thing, etc. what's so bad about it?
    Ugh, it's just so... bad. It's slow. It eliminates any talent at the running back position, which sucks because any quarterback worth watching plays in the NFL. The players make HS mistakes mentally and physically on a routine basis. It just isn't very good. I can't switch from an NFL game to a CFL game without cringing, it's like watching a replay in 1/2 speed. It's just...not good. That's the best way I can put it. They don't have the talent pool there.

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    Ugh, it's just so... bad. It's slow. It eliminates any talent at the running back position, which sucks because any quarterback worth watching plays in the NFL. The players make HS mistakes mentally and physically on a routine basis. It just isn't very good. I can't switch from an NFL game to a CFL game without cringing, it's like watching a replay in 1/2 speed. It's just...not good. That's the best way I can put it. They don't have the talent pool there.
    iunno, i guess i can't really comment having not watched it for so long. what i remember wasn't that weak though and there were enough playmakers in the league to make for exciting games. i remember more than a handful of spectacular finishes in the playoffs and the grey cup. fun times.

the talent is probably at the level of serious high school football in America. but those games attract thousands of people too. it's still good enough to watch, even if it isn't quite the nfl.

Good High School Starter hammer2010's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    Its not just the pay, it's the quality of football. It's a fu[color=black]cking[/color] national disgrace.
    THAT'S MY POINT. Can you imagine anyone turning down playing in the nfl? I sure as hell wouldn't even if I had to take a pay cut for a few years.

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniFan
    Beer is so much more expensive up there. A case of bud light here is somewhere around $17, and a case of comparable canadian beer over there is around $30. **** that. And I'm not sure about other provinces, but the only place you can buy beer in Ontario is at "the beer store" or some other specialty store. Can't just go to 7-11 or a grocery store and grab some beer.
    Quebec and i think maybe Alberta are the only provinces that license convenience and grocery stores to sell booze. Ontario isn't even that bad. in Nova Scotia, it's right around $40-45 for a 24. cigarette margins are even worse. it's pretty bad all around though. then again, i remind myself, it should be. that shit is bad for the population and i'm glad it's expensive. i buy it anyways and so can everybody else.

Quebec and i think maybe Alberta are the only provinces that license convenience and grocery stores to sell booze. Ontario isn't even that bad. in Nova Scotia, it's right around $40-45 for a 24. cigarette margins are even worse. it's pretty bad all around though. then again, i remind myself, it should be. that shit is bad for the population and i'm glad it's expensive. i buy it anyways and so can everybody else.
    Grocery stores don't carry liquor in Alberta. Some grocery stores have their own liquor stores but they are separate buildings and it is exclusively a liquor store. Prices in BC are completely insane.

Quebec sells beer and cheap wine everywhere until 11pm...and they're trying to pass a law to get clubs and bars open till 5am, right now it's open till 3am, 18+

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    Quebec sells beer and cheap wine everywhere until 11pm...and they're trying to pass a law to get clubs and bars open till 5am, right now it's open till 3am, 18+
    That's why I love Montreal. It feels like any major city in Europe. The history, the culture, French speakers, and of course the night life is what puts it over the top for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer2010
    That's why I love Montreal. It feels like any major city in Europe. The history, the culture, French speakers, and of course the night life is what puts it over the top for me.
    Definitely true. Like most, I went there when I was 18 so it was all new and exciting to go to the clubs. The people are rude as hell though and they can't drive worth a damn either.

Quote Originally Posted by Velocirap31
    Definitely true. Like most, I went there when I was 18 so it was all new and exciting to go to the clubs. The people are rude as hell though and they can't drive worth a damn either.
    I dunno bro. Some people are rude, but the girls are some of the most beautiful and friendliest anywhere. I always over achieve there sexually.

The part about driving's true tho. Nobody stops at stop signs, there is no signalling. People will cut you off on the highway without signalling. I'm surprised Quebec doesn't have the highest highway fatality rate in the developed world.

Next Great White Hope QuebecBaller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniFan
    Beer is so much more expensive up there. A case of bud light here is somewhere around $17, and a case of comparable canadian beer over there is around $30. **** that. And I'm not sure about other provinces, but the only place you can buy beer in Ontario is at "the beer store" or some other specialty store. Can't just go to 7-11 or a grocery store and grab some beer.
    24 bud light cost around 25$ in Quebec City and you can buy it everywhere, not like in Ontario.

But are you saying Bud light is beer? It's just water with a little crappy taste of beer in it.

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

Canada is literally everything good about America without having to put up with any of the shit

we get your entertainment, your food, your brands, your security backing, and our leaders get to piggyback on yours politically

meanwhile, we don't put up with anything close to your sham politics, we aren't hated worldwide, our historical records are cleaner, we've still got the whole sea to shining sea bit, our corporate and financial sectors are a million times safer, better government entitlements with a deficit that the rest of the world envies

and most of all, we aren't bombarded with retardedly over the top advertisements and marketing campaigns that should be enough to drive every American insane... that shit still goes on, but it's much more subtle

actually, if i were to describe the difference between America and Canada, i'd use the word 'subtle'. Canada is subtle America. and considering the state of affairs down south at the moment, that should be a welcome variation.
    I always thought you were from Washington DC

Hot girls (Toronto, Montreal), night life, and better weed

I would really consider moving up north once I graduate depending on the opportunity. I think I'm gonna try to make a trip up to Toronto or Montreal during the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    I would really consider moving up north once I graduate depending on the opportunity. I think I'm gonna try to make a trip up to Toronto or Montreal during the spring.
    Montreal doesn't have too many corporate opportunities, Toronto is much better suited for that...Montreal is all about the clubs, restaurants and services...no one really works lol

i just split up with a girl who's doing her phd at mcgill, so i spent a little time in montreal, and it was pretty much enough to say the exact same thing. best city in the country that i've been to at least.

maritimer drunkenness is a thing to behold. or is she a newf? i just got called out on that by a newfie a few weeks ago when i suggested that we were maritime brethren. turns out not so much, newfoundland doesn't like to be associated with the rest of the maritimes. lol
    She's from PEI. I never heard of that lol. I will always refer to all of you as crazy easterners. Definitely the realest people in Canada. Some of the coolest, funniest and craziest people I have ever met in my life have been from the East coast and maritimes.