Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: PS4 Won't Play Used Games

lol. Sony is already losing the edge against Nintendo and Microsoft with their PS3, I am not surprised if the dominance officially ends with PS4.

If they do this and microsoft doesn't, microsoft will striveeeee beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniak
    hahaahahhhaahah what the ****

pc master race

this

i switched from console to pc gaming about a year ago.... never going back. ever.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

This isn't good. The gaming industry is one of the biggest in the world and for some reason they think it would be a good idea to try and contain it?

It is like EA with the new Sim City game. You have to actually be online to play it! No offline mode, it is ridiculous.

Let people have some control over the things they buy!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
    lol. Sony is already losing the edge against Nintendo and Microsoft with their PS3, I am not surprised if the dominance officially ends with PS4.
    What dominance? PS3 hasnt dominated nothing. It has been pretty close except in Japan

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

Is anyone here surprised?

I am only surprised that it might be now, I thought this was at least two generations away.

They already are doing it a little bit with online content. Some Steam titles do it (easily beaten system but idea is still there). This was bound to happen.

My guess is that it gets scrapped unless Microsoft does the same thing.

There will come a day of reckoning. Some people thought consoles were in danger from the advancement of technology in mobile devices. But the threat to console makers are themselves. $600-$700 releases. $60 games (and rising). And this need to control everything on the market will stretch to a breaking point. They will evolve to get past it but not without some hardships.

Dedicated gaming is here to stay. But it's got to change and this is a step in the wrong direction. I'm confident that Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and anyone else who jumps into the console biz will figure this out one way or the other.

well steam did it but the problem with steam is that you need to be online to buy and download/install the game. With a console I don't do that,my xbox doesn't even have wireless capability. I share my laptop's connection whenever I want to play online and I only used it for nba 2k13.

It is just a patent. They will not implement it.

And LOL Americans and their Xbox support. Saying Ps3 has not dominated anything except Japan.

Ps3 has sold just as many units as the Xbox 360 and it was released a year later. Ps3 dominates the Asian and the European market.

And the only reason Xbox 360 is competing with Ps3 is because it is cheap. However the Ps3 is more advanced than the Xbox 360 in many areas. Had the Ps3 been as cheap as the 360 then I bet even the US market would have been dominated by Sony.

Impartial opinion here as a pc gamer. COuld care less about consoles

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei89
    It is just a patent. They will not implement it.

And LOL Americans and their Xbox support. Saying Ps3 has not dominated anything except Japan.

Ps3 has sold just as many units as the Xbox 360 and it was released a year later. Ps3 dominates the Asian and the European market.

And the only reason Xbox 360 is competing with Ps3 is because it is cheap. However the Ps3 is more advanced than the Xbox 360 in many areas. Had the Ps3 been as cheap as the 360 then I bet even the US market would have been dominated by Sony.

Impartial opinion here as a pc gamer. COuld care less about consoles
    Their online subscription service PS Plus beats the living shit out of Xbox Live too.

But compare the market share Sony had with the Playstation and the Playstation 2, compare that to were they stand right now and there is no denying they messed up.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I actually just read that the PS passed the XBox is worldwide console sales this christmas season. It had been propped up by the Japanese market, but they've had a few boosts with the redesign slims a couple times, and have of late done a lot better on the software front than MS.

The big mistake, even moreso than the price, was coming late to the market.

And as for the notion that PS4 won't play used games, there's almost no way they'd do this unless MS did it too. And frankly if both systems don't do it, it's very possible the game manufacturers take this into their own hands. It was talked about extensively with Arkham City. By getting the game itself to only reveal some critical element with only a purchased code, which in the case of Batman was going to be the cape. So if you bought the game used you'd have to get your hands on the code for the cape, which would be SN exclusive, and they'd be able to tell if it was used or not.

I'm obviously not a fan of the idea, but I certainly understand it from the gaming company's perspective, and frankly I almost never buy used games. It's not Sony or Microsoft who suffers from the secondary market, it's the developers.
    Maybe Sony could use the software to convince developers to work more exclusively with them if they can block that market and XBox can't.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I actually just read that the PS passed the XBox is worldwide console sales this christmas season. It had been propped up by the Japanese market, but they've had a few boosts with the redesign slims a couple times, and have of late done a lot better on the software front than MS.

The big mistake, even moreso than the price, was coming late to the market.

And as for the notion that PS4 won't play used games, there's almost no way they'd do this unless MS did it too. And frankly if both systems don't do it, it's very possible the game manufacturers take this into their own hands. It was talked about extensively with Arkham City. By getting the game itself to only reveal some critical element with only a purchased code, which in the case of Batman was going to be the cape. So if you bought the game used you'd have to get your hands on the code for the cape, which would be SN exclusive, and they'd be able to tell if it was used or not.

I'm obviously not a fan of the idea, but I certainly understand it from the gaming company's perspective, and frankly I almost never buy used games. It's not Sony or Microsoft who suffers from the secondary market, it's the developers.
    Maybe Sony could use the software to convince developers to work more exclusively with them if they can block that market and XBox can't.

Well said sir. This is exactly right. At the end of the day it's a business which sometimes sucks for us, but it also gives us the power. This idea, frankly would flop in a heartbeat, and that's why I don't sweat it too much.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Doesnt bother me, PC Gaming is where its all at....
    First and only time I will agree with you.

If they did, they'd be committing suicide for their business.

BEAST

the chance of this happening is very low

the amount of money they will lose is much greater than what they will gain

same discussion was there when ps3 was getting launched

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

There is almost no chance. They are not stupid.