Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Off-season

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: Off-season

But King, Williams and Prokhorov will also be getting a close look at CSKA star Andrei Kirilenko, a name very familiar to NBA fans after playing 10 years for the Jazz, including together with Williams from the day the point guard was drafted until he was dealt to the Nets. While multiple sources flatly denied a report last week that said a verbal agreement between Kirilenko and the Nets was imminent, The Post did confirm that the team has monitored the versatile 6-foor-10 forward

[quote]Tinsley and Howard might even be back next season. "You never commit to anything because you

The Jazz should set their sights on acquiring ex-Utah guard Mo Williams, a.k.a. Kevin O'Connor's Regret.

To this day, the Jazz general manager ranks not re-signing Williams in 2004 among his biggest mistakes. The team thought Williams was OK, but it already had Carlos Arroyo and Raul Lopez, then signed Keith McLeod and Howard Eisley for the next season. That's not a special group of guards, but the Jazz didn't think Williams was special, either, or they would have kept him.

Thus, Utah became a no-go for Mo.
    Unless he wants to come off the bench for the right price I don't see it. He makes almost the same as Harris right now and is obviously a huge upgrade over Chops but he's not a great fit. They could use what he brings off the bench probably especially off the ball which is where Harris would serve best as well.

Al Jefferson on Derrick Favors' potential: "He feel like he can just jump over and dunk over everybody. Once he learn how to play the game, it's going to be trouble. I hope I'm his teammate for the rest of my career."
    Are you willing to come off the bench and take a huge pay cut to do it?

Millsap on his upcoming contract year: "I'm hoping to stay here forever."
    Get it done O'Conner. Never any mention of Jefferson or Harris extentions?

Miller is one of three free agents the Nuggets have to make decisions on this summer, the first normal NBA calendar since 2010. It's likely the Nuggets will attempt to bring him back after his at-times spectacular playoff series against the Lakers. Miller is the only unrestricted free agent on the roster, so the decision to stay or leave is solely his. "I'll keep my options open," Miller said. "At this point in my career, if I'm going to be a backup, I'm going to be a backup on a championship-caliber team. Obviously, this team is a good team that's going to get to the playoffs, but the thing is if they are committed to getting to that next level to compete for that championship." Denver Post

"I want to be on a team that's going to compete for a championship, and not use youth as a crutch or inexperience as a crutch," Miller said. "This team does have guys that can compete and can get out of the first round. It's just whether I can swallow my pride and deal with being a backup point guard. I have no problem with it, but at the same time I definitely still see myself as a starter in this league. Like I said, you have to swallow your pride sometimes. These young guys are coming in and they're working for it. So, that's just part of the business that I'm learning." Denver Post
    You can start in Utah!

Corbin didn't tip his hand as to whether or not he'd lean to starting them together next season, but if Millsap can become even more adept at guarding small forwards and hitting some threes, it's at least an intriguing option.

Millsap was asked about his previous insistence that he's a starting power forward, something he proved capable of doing in his sixth season.

"I am," Millsap said. With a smile, he added, "I can also be a starting small forward."
    I think that's stupid. He's too good of a 4 to start him at the 3. Jefferson has to go as much as the Jazz love continuity.

O'Connor even hinted Harris could take on more of a shooting guard role and said the Jazz will "explore" the best option for the point guard position.

Fans can only wonder if that means the team might target one of the draft's multiple standout point guards, including Weber State's Damian Lillard, or if it will pursue an intriguing unrestricted free agent like, say,
    Cool! If they keep Harris he should be 6th man playing off the ball. He's not a floor general.

Saw a basketball once hennigplex's Avatar

I know you've made up your mind about Jefferson needing to go - but what about the "big 3" starting lineup of Jefferson, Millsap and Favors, with the frequent rotation of Hayward?

James Harden averaged over 30 mins a game coming off the bench this year for OKC - don't see why you couldn't give all four of the above guys decent minutes.

What say you?

Also, we need a shooting guard. A real one. At $3.2m Raja Bell is just eating up cash, and Burks is still green. Belinelli? Jamal Crawford?

After conceding the series to the Spurs after game 3 Jefferson definitely has to go. Not one reason to keep a guy like that around. Millsap is too good of a 4 to start at the 3.

Not sure Crawford has the IQ to play in Utah. Bellini maybe. I'd rather have Ray Allen, Kevin Martin or Micheal Redd coming off screens. Raja Bell was doing ok before his injury but he wants out. Send him on his way. Earl doesn't want to be a 3rd stringer send him down the road. CJ bye bye. Devin Harris unless they move him to the bench at the 2 has to go as well. First priority really.

When we asked last week if Deron Williams and family were headed for Moscow, we were told by a team insider, "stay tuned." Well, shortly after 6:30 a.m, Amy Williams tweeted, "Greetings from Russia!!!" (That's three exclamation points, we note). No word on whether they arrived with Mikhail Prokhorov, on his plane or what the family's plans are, but better Moscow than Dallas. NetsDaily

Last week, Masha Kirilenko, Andrei Kirilenko's wife, said the two couples would be going to Russia together. AK-47 may have a difficult time playing host. CSKA Moscow suffered one of the devastating losses in basketball history Sunday night in Istanbul, going from 19 up with 12 minutes left to a one-point loss in the last second, with D-Will and Prokhorov in attendance. NetsDaily

O'Connor also talked about using Harris more as a shooting guard next year. But he didn't say who might be the point guard in those situations besides the present point guards.
    Only way I can see keeping him assuming it's off the bench.

Because the Jazz usually keep three point guards, there is speculation they might try to find one through free agency or in the draft.

As of right now, the Jazz don't have a first-round draft choice unless Golden State falls to No. 8 in the upcoming lottery. It is rumored the Jazz would love a shot at Weber State point guard Damian Lillard, whom they've seen up close for three years, and is projected to be gone by the middle of the first round.

So if the Jazz were to look at the free agent list, who could they get?

Steve Nash is an unrestricted free agent and he'd be an intriguing possibility. But he is 38 years old and wouldn't be a long-term solution. Same with Andre Miller, who is 36 years old, although he would be an upgrade as the backup point.
    Would be an upgrade as the starter. Probably the only way he comes to Utah.

Other unrestricted free agent point guards include Portland's Raymond Felton, Atlanta's Kirk Hinrich, Dallas' Jason Kidd, Indiana's Leandro Barbosa and Houston's Goran Dragic. Among those free agents with a player option are Orlando's Jameer Nelson, the Nets' Jordan Farmar and the Clippers' Mo Williams.
    If it wasn't for this past season Felton might have been high on their list. Hinrich would be nice as a back-up at both guard spots. I wouldn't want Kidd. Barbosa isn't a pg. If Harris isn't playing in the role he'd be a nice 6th man. Dragic shoud be 1 or 2 on their list with Nash. Nelson would be better than Harris. Not sure he's a great fit though. Farmer might be nice as a back-up.

The USA Select team reportedly will include: the Jazz's Hayward and Favors; DeMarcus Cousins (Kings); Jeremy Lin (Knicks); Klay Thompson (Warriors); Kyrie Irving (Cavs); John Wall (Wizards); DeMar DeRozan (Raptors); Paul George (Pacers); Kawhi Leonard and DeJuan Blair (Spurs); Ryan Anderson (Magic); and Taj Gibson (Bulls).

USA Basketball has not officially announced the members of its prep squad, which gives officials a chance to evaluate potential future Olympic players as well. LaMarcus Aldridge, Kevin Durant, Andre Iguodala, Kevin Love, Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook are 2012 Olympic team finalists who were on the 2008 Select squad.

It's possible Hayward and Favors would not be able to participate with the Jazz's summer league team in Orlando (July 9-13) despite Utah management's wishes for that to happen. Team USA will begin preparing for the London Games in Las Vegas during the same time period (July 5-12) before continuing training in Washington, D.C. from July 13-16.

Former Jazz point guard Deron Williams is the only player with local ties among the 22 hopefuls looking to be included on the final U.S. roster. Olympic action begins on July 29 for the Americans against a tough pool that includes the likes of Argentina and France.

Hayward struggled to find his shot in the postseason, but the shooting guard played especially well during the second half of the regular season to help the Jazz make a successful playoff push. The 22-year-old finished his second year in the NBA with averages of 11.8 points, 3.5 assists and 3.1 assists.

Hayward helped the U.S. Under-18 team win the 2009 world championship in New Zealand. The ex-Butler standout was named to the all-tournament team.

Favors averaged 8.8 points and 6.5 rebounds during the season, but the powerful and athletic 20-year-old came on strong in the playoffs. The 6-10 Favors was one of Utah's best players during the Spurs' sweep, averaging 11.8 points and 9.5 rebounds while playing some menacing defense.

Both Hayward and Favors played well in the Rising Stars Challenge during All-Star Weekend.
    Could be good for them to go up against some of the best for a few days. Not sure I'd want them to miss summer league though.

[quote]The Chicago Bulls

Local High School Star CakeorDeath's Avatar

Doesn't look like O'Conner is looking to trade bigs away, at least not this offseason:

One popular line of thinking is that the Jazz must trade either Jefferson or Millsap in order to allow Favors and Kanter to get more minutes and fully blossom.

Don't count O'Connor among that group.

"What we got to do is add to (our core)," the Jazz GM said. "I don't think we've got to blow it up and start over again, and I don't think we've got to be in a position where we're looking at it and saying we've got to trade some people."
    He's always been consistently (and sometimes painstakingly) mum on these kinds of issues, but if these comments are any indication it seems like the FO is content to see what this frontcourt can do next season and thus a couple mild free-agent acquisitions in the backcourt are what we have to look forward to this offseason. Korver seems like a guy we'd go after if the Bulls let him become a FA. Like to see us go after Nash, Mo Williams, or Andre Miller but I highly doubt we get any of them. I'm really hoping the Jazz use the trade exception received from the Okur trade wisely but I could also see them just letting it expire (which would be infuriating).

Let Miles and Howard walk, re-up tinsley and Carroll, get a real PG and let Harris slide to the 2 (and off the bench), and target Kover and AK. If the team looked like this I'd be pretty excited:

(Nash or Williams or Miller) / Watson / Tinsley
    Hayward / Harris / Burks
    Millsap / Korver / Carroll
    Big Al / AK
    Favors / Kanter

Banned

It's great to see O'Conner doesn't want to break up the Millsap/Favors/Jefferson core. There just really isn't any reason to when Kanter hasn't shown much. Millsap can play 6th man, and hopefully they get Andre Miller in the offseason. Since he's so old it still leaves a long term hole at that position, but he'd really improve the team next year. They should probably look for a shooter at SF or SG too.
    Hopefully nobody tries to overpay Carroll. He looked great at the end of the year.

Doesn't look like O'Conner is looking to trade bigs away, at least not this offseason:

Quote:
    One popular line of thinking is that the Jazz must trade either Jefferson or Millsap in order to allow Favors and Kanter to get more minutes and fully blossom.

Don't count O'Connor among that group.

"What we got to do is add to (our core)," the Jazz GM said. "I don't think we've got to blow it up and start over again, and I don't think we've got to be in a position where we're looking at it and saying we've got to trade some people."
    He said they aren't blowing it up. He's also said Favors needs to start. To add people you have to subtract people. If trading Jefferson is what it takes to fill other holes than you might just have to do it. That said I would take what O'Conner says with a grain of salt. The one thing he has proven is he can talk.

Korver seems like a guy we'd go after if the Bulls let him become a FA.
    At what price? They let him go before for a reason.

Like to see us go after Nash, Mo Williams, or Andre Miller but I highly doubt we get any of them.
    Mo doesn't make much sense unless you are just looking for an improvement over Harris and you could do that by going eeny meeny miney moe. He'd be nice off the bench as a combo guard but I'm guessing he like Andre wants to start. Miller seems highly likely if they move Harris(either a trade or to the bench at the 2 which O'Conner has also mentioned and is the only place he could possibly help them) and/or Watson who should go too. Tinsley they should keep if they can't get an upgrade in Nash or Miller.

I'm really hoping the Jazz use the trade exception received from the Okur trade wisely but I could also see them just letting it expire (which would be infuriating).
    Letting it expire seems more likely but they could use it and still just go over the salary cap well below the luxury threshold so who knows. They have til December so it could come into play when teams are looking at their rosters before contracts get guaranteed for the year.

Let Miles and Howard walk
    Howard was one of their best players before he got hurt. I'd definitely be looking to bring him back depending on the price and who's in line to replace him.

re-up tinsley and Carroll
    Their options seem like no brainers. Even if they get Andre or Nash Tinsley could be easily traded.

target Kover and AK
    Based on what Hayward showed at the end of the year I can't see bringing AK back. Maybe be able to use him in a sign and trade.

(Nash or Williams or Miller) / Watson / Tinsley
    Hayward / Harris / Burks
    Millsap / Korver / Carroll
    Big Al / AK
    Favors / Kanter
    Watson wasn't happy as the 3rd guard and Tinsley is a better fit so Earl has to go. They need to start developing a young guy regardless. They should have been this year. Marshall or the Weber St. guy make sense. A seasoned vet(Tinsley/Nash/Mller/?) and a veteran combo guard either Harris or someone else.

Al has to go. You don't need anyone around that concedes a playoff series before it's over! Millsap is to good at the 4 to start him at the 3. Bring in a veteran to fight Favors and Kanter for the other minutes up front. Burks 3rd string doesn't work for me either. He's arguably got the most upside of anyone. He could be their go to guy in the future.

If they can get Nash maybe Ray Allen would come too? Micheal Redd? Kevin Martin is available.

Evans also has looked promising in his limited chances.

There just really isn't any reason to when Kanter hasn't shown much.
    There's plenty of reasons besides for the fact that him crowned the Spurs champs after game 3. He's got an expiring contract. Do you extend him? Do you wait til the trade deadline? Do you wait til the off season and possibly get nothing but cap space for a guy you gave up 3 first rounders and a huge TPE for? To be better defensively. To unleash the young guys. etc.

Millsap can play 6th man
    He can but since he is their best player and most clutch if you play him at the end of the 3rd and beginning of the 4th it's doesn't work as well to have him on the floor at the end of the game and limits his overall minutes. He and Hayward are the two guys the offense should be revolving around til someone changes that.

They should probably look for a shooter at SF or SG too.
    It's a must especially with Raja leaving soon.

Hopefully nobody tries to overpay Carroll. He looked great at the end of the year.
    He's got an option that it sounds like they will pick up. Tinsley too.
    Last edited by Xiao Yao You; 05-16-2012 at 11:09 PM.