Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Default Re: This must be said: The Wire is overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Jackass18
    It just strikes me as odd seeing someone so dismissive of The Wire. Threads about it always make me want to go back and watch it again. You didn't connect with any of the characters? McNulty, Bunk, Freamon, Stringer Bell, Bodie, Clay Davis, etc...?
    Connect in which way?

Like I mentioned, I only saw season 1 and the characters that got the most screen time (that you mentioned) were McNulty which I didn't care about. Everytime they showed his personal life I could care less. Bunk was one of my fav characters cause the actor playing him did his thing. Bodie was one of the most believable characters on the show, but the actor playing him often plays these roles often. I wanted to see more Bell but his character in the first season was limited.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPp9CQjKEQw

As I mentioned before, Bubbles was easily my fav.

NBA rookie of the year Styles p's Avatar

also the ring little story line in the wire. omar took it from marlo at a card game, the cop took it from omar then michael took it from the cop. marlo asks mike where he got it from and he said "took it from some *****" marlo thought mike took it from omar, which immediately made marlo respect mike more.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    And let's not forget characters like these
    I can kinda see your point about Ziggy, but what do you got against Snoop man? I thought she was great.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Connect in which way?
    Being interesting in, want to see more of, and whatnot.

As I mentioned before, Bubbles was easily my fav.
    I don't remember my opinion from just season 1, but from watching the whole thing I didn't like Bubbles. McNulty, Bunk, and Stringer Bell were my 3 favs from that show. What about Omar? I think he was the fav of many, but I found him overrated.

I rule the local playground sommervilleCdn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Solid thread this has become.

haha needs to be repeated. Here's a well written 2004 review on this show. I must agree with my fellow ishtards. this show is great, I mean consider its pedigree. Someone already mention that writer david simon wrote this tv drama/documentary with former Baltimore detetive Ed Burns...when i watch the wire, it did feel like a documentary (in the truest sense of the word). -sprinkled with some funny moments of levity here and there.

It doesnt follow a follow hollywood convention. If that's what you're looking for , you won't find it here.

oh and the review that i mentioned http://ca.ign.com/articles/2004/10/1...e-first-season

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath Uterus
    That's based on an actual even tthat happened in the real Omar's life....
    Yeah... watch This (from 1 minute) then watch This

Tell me if you can spot the difference

And how is Snoop ridiculous? That's pretty much how that girl acts in real life, shes not an unrealistic character by any means.
    That's all and well, but it's pretty hard to believe that a 90 lb, 5'3 girl is going to be one of the most feared killers in a city. But stranger things have happened I suppose.

Yeah, by end of the Wire Omar had become Batman in West Baltimore, jumping out of buildings with his flowing trench coat cape and shit
    In real life, Omar actually survived a jump from the sixth floor rather than the 4th floor, so I don't see the problem.

Tell me if you can spot the difference

That's all and well, but it's pretty hard to believe that a 90 lb, 5'3 girl is going to be one of the most feared killers in a city. But stranger things have happened I suppose.
    She killed someone in real life when she was like 14 or something.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

she did roll with chris everywhere. I think that helped bring the fear.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    In real life, Omar actually survived a jump from the sixth floor rather than the 4th floor, so I don't see the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reef
    She killed someone in real life when she was like 14 or something.
    I'm sure the real Omar has some great war stories and I'm well aware that Ms. Pearson has some dirt on her and spent 6 years in prison for killing another woman, as well as a recent drug bust she was involved in. I was just addressing a poster's assertion that the Sopranos was like a cartoon compared to the Wire, which clearly had the more outlandish characters and situations.

But I'm sure someone will fill me in on the exploits of the real nation of Islam, dead eye aim, bowtie wearing, one man muscle squad Brother Mouzone

I'm sure the real Omar has some great war stories and I'm well aware that Ms. Pearson has some dirt on her and spent 6 years in prison for killing another woman, as well as a recent drug bust she was involved in. I was just addressing a poster's assertion that the Sopranos was like a cartoon compared to the Wire, which clearly had the more outlandish characters and situations.

But I'm sure someone will fill me in on the exploits of the real nation of Islam, dead eye aim, bowtie wearing, one man muscle squad Brother Mouzone
    And let's suppose that The Sopranos did have more outlandish characters

Banned

[QUOTE=andgar923]And let's suppose that The Sopranos did have more outlandish characters

I disagree, especially when it comes to the Wire specifically. You say 'one is watching a show not a documentary', but in a way that's exactly what the Wire set out to do- be a study/documentary of the ills that plague a Metropolitan area like Baltimore. The war on drugs, politics, law enforcement, the educational system, the media are all subjects that were covered by the show. Even the way the seasons were constructed was like a sociology book separated into chapters about specific areas (ie, Season 1 was about the 'cops vs robbers' aspect, Season 2 was about the docks, Season 4 the educational system, Season 5 the media).

So a huge degree of realism is expected and is executed for the most part.
    I agree, it depends on the kind of show in question.

A show such as The Wire needs more realistic characters, not as bombastic, whereas The Sopranos can even benefit from it. Sure the Sopranos wants realism, but they're not trying to be what the Wire was.

Only brought it up is because some knocked the Wire and BB for having over the top characters, but they're not trying to be a documentary-ish type show a la Wire.

Awww that was months ago, that's sweet that you still carry that with you. My criticisms of The Sopranos really hit you hard.

Funny that I even agree with you in this instance. Snoop and Brother Mouzone are two of my least favorite characters in The Wire, and Omar's supernatural feats annoyed me. I've criticized those characters years ago on this webzone, so no one can really pick at me for consistency. I definitely don't think The Wire is beyond criticism by any stretch, it's far from perfect. As long as it's valid criticism I'm totally cool.

It is kind of shameful though that you are deliberately trying to turn this thread into another Sopranos vs. The Wire thread. I understand your soul is burning, but we had that thread already. Bump that one if you must.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Awww that was months ago, that's sweet that you still carry that with you. My criticisms of The Sopranos really hit you hard.

Funny that I even agree with you in this instance. Snoop and Brother Mouzone are two of my least favorite characters in The Wire, and Omar's supernatural feats annoyed me. I've criticized those characters years ago on this webzone, so no one can really pick at me for consistency. I definitely don't think The Wire is beyond criticism by any stretch, it's far from perfect. As long as it's valid criticism I'm totally cool.

It is kind of shameful though that you are deliberately trying to turn this thread into another Sopranos vs. The Wire thread. I understand your soul is burning, but we had that thread already. Bump that one if you must.
    The hilarious thing is I have absolutely no clue who you are

Read back in this thread, I was addressing another poster.

But good to see you agree, that's something I guess