Page 153 of 153 FirstFirst ... 53103143150151152153
Results 2,281 to 2,288 of 2288

Default Re: Illinois basketball fans

Interesting that so much discussion here has focused around Frank Martin, as it appears Bruce Weber is taking his old job at K State.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...sketball-coach

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

That makes two former Illini coaches that have gone to Kansas and 3 to the Big 12. Can't wait to see his Purple Blazer!
    Last edited by wang4three; 03-31-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Derrick Rose is backing Robert Smith to be an Assistant Coach... Interesting language he's using:

DEERFIELD, Ill. -- Chicago Bulls guard Derrick Rose put his support Friday behind his former high school coach, Simeon’s Robert Smith, to be hired as an Illinois assistant.

“I think he would be great as an assistant,” said Rose, who won two state championships at Simeon under Smith. “I think on the high school level he did everything possible -- win championships, state championships. It would be great for him to go onto the college level and see what he can do then.”

Smith has said he would listen if Illinois coach John Groce, who was hired on Thursday, contacted him about a position on the Illini’s staff.

Smith has compiled a 230-37 record, won five state titles and had one runner-up finish in eight years at Simeon. His current players include the nation’s No. 1 junior Jabari Parker, top-50 junior Kendrick Nunn and Marquette recruit Steve Taylor.

Rose didn’t attend Illinois, choosing to go to Memphis for one season, but he was hopeful the Illini would return to the high level of success they had when making a run to the 2005 NCAA tournament title game.

“Illinois, we haven’t had that great feeling here in a long time since that run they had with Dee Brown and (Deron) D-Williams and them,” Rose said. “I know everybody is dying and waiting for that one team to bring us back.”
    I guess he was always an Illini fan, even if he didn't go there.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

I can't wait to see the handshake lines between Self and Weber.

This is just a weird hire for KState, I wouldn't want him coaching my school at pretty much any Big Six job and I LIKE Bruce. Wonder if Keady goes with him? He's from central KS and graduated from KState. Could build a program a bit like Purdue's older days, lower tier chip on their shoulder recruits that build a scrappy team against the in state blue blood.

I remember reading on a KState board:

"Succeed at Illinois: Get hired by Kansas
    Fail at Illinois: Get hired by Kansas St."

With Lon Kruger also there, it'll be an interesting conference.

Didn't realize this till now, but Jamar Smith was signed to the Celtics. Good for him, looks like he's turning his life around. Hopefully Jereme Richmond does the same for himself.

Bump! FU Indy!

random but Joseph Bertrand went to a high school about ~20 mins away from me. A few older kids from my HS say they remember playing against him in jr high.