Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: To contend, or not to contend?

I'd rather be in the playoffs with a chance to win a round than to be a 10 or 11th seed and getting another 9-13 pick.

Banned

This season is similar to 06-07 season. This is the best chance for Raptors to get another banner. Do it!

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Lol @ so called fans on here acting like winning leads to a dead end. Whatever road we take will open many opportunities for us, and I think everyone should trust Masai to make the right moves.
    "I think everyone should trust Colangelo to make the right moves"
    - Raptors fans in 2006 (myself included)

I'm not going to dump on Ujiri because he hasn't made a bad move yet (at least with the Raptors) but let's not annoint him some kind of saviour either. We did that once. In the end, Ujiri's job is to generate revenue for the franchise. We still need to see whether that will include building a legit contender. I'd still like to see some kind of long-term plan for the Raptors but I understand we might have to wait until the offseason for that.

Fire Dwane Casey

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    "I think everyone should trust Colangelo to make the right moves"
    - Raptors fans in 2006 (myself included)

I'm not going to dump on Ujiri because he hasn't made a bad move yet (at least with the Raptors) but let's not annoint him some kind of saviour either. We did that once. In the end, Ujiri's job is to generate revenue for the franchise. We still need to see whether that will include building a legit contender. I'd still like to see some kind of long-term plan for the Raptors but I understand we might have to wait until the offseason for that.
    I agree. It just annoys me how some fans are quick to jump the gun

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    Wolstat twitter is where I first read it and there's rules in the CBA limiting the $$ raises for veteran extensions.

I think it was something like only $7 million per over 3 years if he were to agree to an extension. He'll obviously get more on the open market with a brand new contract.
    Extensions are capped at about 10% raises. So he is probably better off waiting for the off season.

As much as he tells us he's playing his heart out for the Raptors, he's playing for next season, clearly. He's entering his prime years as a basketball player and he wants to secure his financial future as best he can. And I don't blame him for that at all, anyone in his position would do the same. The only issue is, it puts us in somewhat of a bind. To stay with Toronto we'd likely have to pay him handsomely, possible in double digits or close to it for him to stick around. And then you question, is our core really solid enough to justify doing that and where do we go from there?

Serious playground baller Too_Cool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bokes15
    As much as he tells us he's playing his heart out for the Raptors, he's playing for next season, clearly. He's entering his prime years as a basketball player and he wants to secure his financial future as best he can. And I don't blame him for that at all, anyone in his position would do the same. The only issue is, it puts us in somewhat of a bind. To stay with Toronto we'd likely have to pay him handsomely, possible in double digits or close to it for him to stick around. And then you question, is our core really solid enough to justify doing that and where do we go from there?
    Word. Lowry, Deroxan Ross, Amir and Jonas is a solid core but probably isn't good enough to compete for a championship.

It's sad that all the fans gets excited just because the team is going to make the playoffs and maybe win a round. Within perhaps an historically bad conference mind you. Poor raptor fans

This is what happens when you have two of the worst GM performances ever back to back. Meanwhile, smart teams like Orlando, Philly and Boston blew it up to compete long term.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Too_Cool

1) Word. Lowry, Deroxan Ross, Amir and Jonas is a solid core but probably isn't good enough to compete for a championship.

2) It's sad that all the fans gets excited just because the team is going to make the playoffs and maybe win a round. Within perhaps an historically bad conference mind you. Poor raptor fans

3) This is what happens when you have two of the worst GM performances ever back to back. Meanwhile, smart teams like Orlando, Philly and Boston blew it up to compete long term.
    Counterpoint

1) Agree although if compensated appropriately they form a really good nuclues of talent ; lets see what MU can do with 3 1st round draft picks in the next two years.

2) Totally agree. Toronto is starved for success.

3) Agree although... we still have 3 draft picks next 2 years. In fact to the exact current example of "tanking to win" :

i) the Thunder totally tanked and drafted 3 all stars in three years.. Durant Westbrooke Harden.

ii) The Cavs are still not going anywhere.

So the "total tank" isnt always perfect.

Success is also about the number of draft picks and equally important the number of "midling" contracts you can shift around to improve.

Note that those 3 picks I keep throwing out as of now would project as 18th, 8th, 18th for arguement sake.
    Last edited by Jballer; 01-06-2014 at 11:29 AM.