Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Default Re: Scaled Images of Wilt/Dwight/McGee etc wingspans and height w/o shoes:

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    there isn't a 4 inch advantage in the image, it is about 2 which is approximately what it should be at - you guys are complaining about and exaggerating the differences more than it actually is. So someone scales Wilt next to some modern players and he looks a bit abnormally big - your surprised? Why the hell would his peers talk about him like an unrivaled freak if he was just some run of the mill big?
    dude calm down, don't assume I'm an anti-wilt guy just because I'm surprised by the difference I see in the picture.
    I don't think the picture you used with wilt with a headband is accurate, look at his posture.

Default Re: Scaled Images of Wilt/Dwight/McGee etc wingspans and height w/o shoes:

Quote Originally Posted by abuC

OP destroyed with facts again, like every other Wilt historian.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow

OP destroyed with facts again, like every other Wilt historian.
    both wilt and shaq have bad posture, but shaq is standing closer to the camera

(Full Size link: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-U...520knicks6.jpg )

Perhaps the best indication of Wilt's size thus far
    I can't stop laughing at this, it's Wilt Ming!

Cuba

there isn't a 4 inch advantage in the image, it is about 2 which is approximately what it should be at - you guys are complaining about and exaggerating the differences more than it actually is. So someone scales Wilt next to some modern players and he looks a bit abnormally big - your surprised? Why the hell would his peers talk about him like an unrivaled freak if he was just some run of the mill big?

How about you think about this logically for once, Tyson is 6'11" and half without shoes, Amare was 6"8 and a half without shoes. And no, there isn't a 2" difference between Tyson and Wilt, there's a 1.5" difference between them without shoes, however in your scaled picture the gap between them is actually the same as the one between Amare and Tyson 3". I lined up and overlayed the gap in PS, you have basically scaled Wilt to 7"3 or 7"4 in shoes.

Here you go

Blue and green are exactly the same size, red is exactly 1 pixel bigger than the gap between Amare and Tyson. Your picture is showing a 3" and some change difference between 7"0 1/2 (in shoes) Tyson and Wilt, which makes Wilt 7"4 and change in your scaled pic.

Quote Originally Posted by abuC

Shaq is clearly both closer to the camera and slightly on his toes... As well as basketball shoes vs wilts shoes..

Quote Originally Posted by Hittin_Shots
    Shaq is clearly both closer to the camera and slightly on his toes... As well as basketball shoes vs wilts shoes..
    They are both raising one foot and Wilt is wearing what are probably well heeled dress shoes..

Dunking on everybody in the park

O-M-G...

hide this thread before its too late... JLauber will have a triple spinning orgasm if he finds this... you are advised.. you are fully responsible of what may happen.

EDIT: by the way it was a JOKE... nothing against JLauber, knowledgeable poster... nothing but respect for the guy.... it was a joke.
    Last edited by TheFan; 11-18-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Okay let's have another go at this since eliteballer had a shit fit last time

(Full Size Link)
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-g...0/NBAscale.jpg

This time I used two methods of scaling to try and get everything scaled correctly - basketball diameter AND a ground up scale - and attempted to place everyone via the centerline plane of their bodies (generally the central point between both feet which is necessary for pics where a players feet appears are not on a flat plane), and also I bumped most of them down to what would be the estimated plane of their "bare feet" (so everyone with modern shoes should also be getting cut off approximately another inch, chucks about 1/4-1/2"). Their heights actually lined up almost perfectly with what draftexpress claimed was their barefoot height, with only a few exceptions (CP3, Kobe and Melo came out a bit too tall - about 1/2 inches too tall for all of them, they must have been slightly closer to the camera in the pic for the team U.S.A. photo or had disproportionately thicker shoes)
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 01-07-2013 at 12:34 AM.

Dunking on everybody in the park bumpyknucks's Avatar

Cool thread, interesting to see, especially the first wingspan pictures. Thanks for doing it.

Saw a basketball once GucciBandana's Avatar

nice pics, but do you have proof that Wilt is over 7'1" barefeet?

btw Pre draft measurements might be true at the time, but not necessarily true today, players might grow 1 inch or so since the draft, specially high school players. also measurements around or before early 2000's seems not as organized, today's measurements would measure both height with or without shoes, but back then some of the measurements or missing, could be mixed up or something.

Dwight Howard is the same height as Chris Bosh on Team USA, he's around 6'11" with shoes on, makes him taller than his predraft measurements.

when you put pics of players together, make sure the camera angle and posture are all similar, or else it could make the comparison inaccurate, I made this photo to compare standing reaches back then:

my conclusion was Yao has the highest standing reach, 295+(over 9'8"), then Mutombo close to 9'8", Chandler and McGee were measured. Gasol and Shaq both around 9'6.5"-9'7".
    Last edited by GucciBandana; 01-19-2013 at 04:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    Yao's wingspan seems to be 7-5. I wish there was a picture of Manute Bol, he has the highest wingspan in NBA history at supposedly 8-6
    I think Manute Bol's number was a lie, I really doubt he has the longest wingspan in NBA, maybe one of the longest arms or highest standing reach, but in term of wingspan, I think its pretty obvious Mark Eaton beats him, I doubt Bol's wingspan is much longer than his height.

Bol:

Eaton:

Wilt:

John Riek:

Dwight in high school:
    Last edited by GucciBandana; 01-19-2013 at 04:16 AM.

scaling basketball is a nice way of comparing wingspan, but still, sometimes depends on the player's posture, he might be holding the basketballs a little closer or farther away from the camera, causing source of errors