Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Default Re: Kobe Bryant scores 61 points against Knicks in Madison Square Garden

Quote Originally Posted by rox fa sho
    60+ pts is no joke. when kobe starts doing 60 every game then its a joke.
    Best quote of this thread period

3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Kobe Freaking Bryant!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    I think both of these factions are playing a meaningless game of back and forth... Both of these players have put forward a number of great efforts. Instead of comparing their games and downplaying the accomplishments of one player or another, we should simply marvel at what they have been able to accomplish and leave it at that.

Da_Realist, those were some excellent games on Jordan's part, and you made a good point concerning the level of competition Jordan was facing when he played those games, but if we're going to downplay accomplishments, one could easily point out that Jordan lost 3 of those 5 games in which he scored 60+ and that he was less efficient in those 5 60+ point games than Bryant has been in his 5 60+ point games, while averaging fewer points...

Understand that there is always a response... always a come back. This foolishness needs to stop. There are a few Bryant groupies here who have knowingly made provocative statements looking to bait other posters. Those posters should be ignored. After awhile, don't you guys get tired of the same arguments?
    The Bulls won 3 of those 5 not lose them. But I agree with you. I think Jordan's was more impressive then Kobe's cause of the teams he played, but whatever. I don't see why Jordan supporters really still feel the need to come and defend Jordan over Kobe. Jordan vs. Kobe should've never been an argument in the first place, and it definitely should not be after what happened last year.

Fellow Jordan fans, I don't know why any of you feel the need to get into these arguments when Jordan's combination of accomplishments/skills/intangibles pretty much trumps Kobe's, and Kobe would really need a miracle at this point of his career to surpass him. One more 60+ point game isn't going to change that. Just appreciate Kobe for what he is, and that is an amazing player.

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

Default Re: Kobe Bryant scores 61 points against Knicks in Madison Square Garden

if anyone other than Kobe dropped that 61, there would not be any such fuss. It would just be high praise...and deservedly so.
    Instead, we get all this, "well MJ blah blah blah"

One of my work mates went to this game, his first ever basketball game

LUCKY BASTARD!!

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    The Bulls won 3 of those 5 not lose them.
    Of the five, the Bulls lost to the Hawks, Celtics and Magic... two of which were in overtime, with the Celtics game having a second overtime... so they were very close...

Quote Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
    if anyone other than Kobe dropped that 61, there would not be any such fuss. It would just be high praise...and deservedly so.
    Some of you guys help bring that on yourselves though... real talk.

3-time NBA All-Star

Of the five, the Bulls lost to the Hawks, Celtics and Magic... two of which were in overtime, with the Celtics game having a second overtime... so they were very close...
    Oh you're right. My bad. I didn't realize they lost to the Magic, I could've sworn they won that game. Oh well.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
    Some of you guys help bring that on yourselves though... real talk.
    Right. Look at who the "MJ>Kobe" posts are replying to. It's not what GTS wrote (which I agree with) -- about how it's an entertaining performance that we should all just enjoy. It's the posts that say, "Kobe scored 61. Oldest to score 60. Kobe > MJ. Kobe is GOAT " that generate all the responses.

When you call out the dogs, don't get upset when you get bit. And for those that complain about the responses...why? Why do you care? Go to the Lakers forum where they are sure to appreciate it. Or don't click on the obvious "Kobe > MJ" or "MJ > Kobe" links. It's that simple.

I guarantee that if Arenas or Lebron or Ginobli scored 78 points and their fans said so-and-so > MJ, there would be some discussions. It's not just Kobe. Kobe fans just call out the dogs more than other fans.
    Last edited by Da_Realist; 02-03-2009 at 04:20 PM.

High School Starter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AJodNs2p74

I wonder what the dumbasses in this thread would say about Larry shooting until the buzzer to get 60.

Quote Originally Posted by dajadeed
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AJodNs2p74

I wonder what the dumbasses in this thread would say about Larry shooting until the buzzer to get 60.
    reposted.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist

I guarantee that if Arenas or Lebron or Ginobli scored 78 points and their fans said so-and-so > MJ, there would be some discussions. It's not just Kobe. Kobe fans just call out the dogs more than other fans.
    Start a thread that says, "Bird > MJ", I guarantee there will be 300 responses by the end of the week. Look up any thread that does a comparison and you will have a ton of responses. Look up "Kobe > Bird" for instance.

The only reason Kobe generates more responses when he plays well is because his fans want to compare him more often than most other fans.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by 243354
    kobe-5 60+ games in 4 1/2 seasons as the no.1
    mj-5 in his whole career.
    Uhh, Jordan had 4 of his 5 games of 60+ in a 4 year span also. What's your point?

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist
    Tale of the tape.

Michael Jordan

April 20, 1986
    63 vs Boston
    Also had 5 rebs and 6 asts
    Boston won 67 games in 86
    Went on to become NBA Champions
    ** Happened in the playoffs

March 4, 1987
    61 vs Detroit
    He also had 7 rebs, 3 asts, 3 stls and 3 blks
    Detroit won 52 games in 87
    Playoff team

April 16, 1987
    61 vs Atlanta
    Also had 10 rebs, 1 ast, 4 stls and 1 blk
    Atlanta won 57 games in 87
    Playoff team

March 28, 1990
    69 vs Cleveland
    Also had 18 rebs, 6 asts, 4 stls and 1 blk
    Cleveland won 42 games in 90
    Playoff team

January 16, 1993
    64 vs Orlando
    Also had 6 rebs, 1 ast and 5 stls
    Orlando won 41 games in 1993

Kobe Bryant

January 22, 2006
    81 vs Toronto
    Also had 6 rebs, 2 asts, 3 stls and 1 blk
    Toronto won 27 games in 2006

March 16, 2007
    65 vs Portland
    Also had 7 rebs, 3 asts and 3 stls
    Portland won 32 games in 2007

December 20, 2005
    62 vs Dallas
    Also had 8 rebs, 0 asts, 3 stls
    Dallas won 60 games in 2006
    Playoff team

March 22, 2007
    60 vs Memphis
    Also had 5 rebs and 4 asts
    Memphis won 22 games in 2007

February 2, 2009
    61 vs New York
    Also had 0 rebs, 3 asts and 1 blk
    New York is 21-26 so far this season
    You convinently failed to mention that the Mavericks weren't just a mere Playoff team, but competed for the NBA Finals that season, and were top ranked in team defense I believe that year. But that is without a doubt his best scoring game as a pro.

Everything else is dead on accurate.

The only other context you could bring into the conversation to make the playing field some what more leveled is by asking how many of those 60 point games came in overtime?

Kobe's only had one that came with an extra period, that being the Portland game. MJ, his Celtics performance, Magic performance, Cleveland performance all came with extra periods. So while yes, MJ is more impressive in that he did it in meaningful games, against stiff and/or great competition he also did it with extra time on the clock. Kobe, most of his performances coming against weak competition, still put up huge numbers in regulation, sometimes even sitting out huge chunks of time in said games. Kobe deserves some praise for that, does he not?

NBA rookie of the year

but if we're going to downplay accomplishments, one could easily point out that Jordan lost 3 of those 5 games in which he scored 60+
    Playing better teams will do that to you. The average record of teams which Kobe has scored 50+ on is something like 39-43. The average record of teams he's scored 40+ on in the last 4 seasons is even worse (like 37-45).

Every time I think Kobe lost his outside shooting touch he goes off. Hope he goes for 100 one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    Forgot that the Mavericks weren't just a Playoff team, but competed for the NBA Finals. But that is without a doubt his best scoring game as a pro/ Everything else is dead on accurate. The only other context you could bring into the conversation to make the playing field some what more leveled is by asking how many of those 60 point games came in overtime? Kobe's only had one that came with an extra period, that being the Portland game. MJ, his Celtics performance, Magic performance, Cleveland performance all came with extra periods. So while yes, MJ is more impressive in that he did it in meaningful games, against stiff and/or great competition he also did it with extra time on the clock. Kobe, most of his performances coming against weak competition, still put up huge numbers in regulation, sometimes even sitting out huge chunks of time in said games. Kobe deserves some praise for that, does he not?
    Good point. He deserves some praise for that. In determining which player had the best 60-point performances, it depends on your perspective. I think it would be harder for Kobe to accomplish what MJ did than for MJ to do what Kobe did.

There have been many times MJ could have done more but didn't have the desire to push it all the way. A good example is Game 1 of the NBA Finals against Portland in 1992. If MJ had Kobe's mentality and his eye on the record books, he would have crushed his own record of 63 and probably gone for 70 even as Portland waved the white flag. Clearly MJ put on the brakes after halftime -- scoring only 6 (I think) in the second half. And that's against a Finals opponent. Don't think he could have done that against the old Sacramento Kings (Kenny Smith edition) or the LA Clippers (pretty much ANY year until he retired)?

It takes a different kind of person to get so worked up over scoring against such weak competition as a 22 win team or a 35 win team. It's not that it's not impressive, it's that most of his great scoring outbursts are limited to these. That, and the fact that far too often he doesn't bring that same efficiency against the better teams.

If Kobe scores 60 vs the Celtics or Cavs this week, you won't hear a peep out of me.